Help! Took my insulin but then sick.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've had a cold for the last few days and my BG has been high - into the teens at times. Anyway, this morning my BG was good - in the 5s. I took my basal as usual and injected 2.5 units Apidra for breakfast of raspberries and yoghurt. After eating, I was sick. Now I keep being sick. Apidra started working and my BG is dropping low. I'm sipping full fat Coke and testing frequently. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Smidge

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's not a nice way to start the day.
You're doing what I would do, just keep testing as well as 'flashing'

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think you are doing the right thing. The times I have had something similar, this is the approach I took and it worked (in that I'm still here to tell the tale). I don't think there is much else you can do.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've just got to try and keep your levels up for a few hours until the bolus insulin wears off. Coke is a good idea as it is usually easier to hold down or maybe try some Weetabix which I find is easy to hold in. If you can't keep your levels up and they keep dropping and you are being sick I would recommend a quick trip to A&E for a few hours. They will probably need to insert a line to stop you hypoing. Just keep testing as your basel will be working as well but as long as you are taking the correct amounts it probably won't do you any harm. Good luck.

rossh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about something like Dextro Energy tablets? They dissolve fairly well and get into your bloodstream quickly.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Horrid, Smidge, good luck. Well done for keeping Coke in stock. Hope the throwing up stops soon - fingers crossed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Using coke is a good idea Smidge, as your being sick it would be better if you let the coke go flat so that it doesn't upset your stomach further, anyway hope your feeling better soon, take care!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. The approach worked and I managed to stabilise my levels by about lunch time. Levels are still a little low, but that's almost certainly because I've not eaten anything today. I'm feeling a bit better and will try to eat something in a little while - maybe a ryvita to see how things go.

@LucySW I keep a box of those little 150ml cans of Coke in the house - I always keep one the bedside table in case of scary night time hypos. I prefer orange juice, but Coke keeps better.

Smidge

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Smidge. Sounds like you did the right thing. I use glucose tablets when low but I'm sure Coke is just as good

kittywolf85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm someone who has lot's of health problems - especially with throwing up.
coke is good - and i also try ginger ale. work's really nice for me.
also - sip really slowly... and I mean very SLOWLY...... don't overload the stomach....

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade is a much better glucose source than ordinary soft drinks. Although I like Pepsi Max (sugar free) as a drink when thirsty , I wouldn't use ordinary Coke as a hypo correction except in an emergency. Most soft drinks are sweetened with sucrose (or glucose/fructose syrup) and both of these have at least 50% fructose content and we all know how detrimental fructose is to the liver. Also if you don't like fizzy drinks then you can use Lucozade sport.