Advice on first time car insurance

Chromer

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

I joined this forum because I want some advice for someone amazing. I'm not diabetic but she is (type 1) and it is her birthday in February and I want to get her something special.

Shes been taking driving lessons and shes awesome at it, she didnt go all the way to the test though because she got disheartened at the fact that she may struggle with getting her own car and maintaining it. I just got a new job and have been putting money away for a while and really want to give her a car to give her motivation to get out there and have the freedom to go wherever she wants.

Main thing is, I dont drive myself (always got the bus to work) so

1. Im clueless about insurance, I'm guessing it will be higher for diabetics but I don't really know......if anyone could share their experiences and the best place to go to for insurance I would be very grateful!

2. I want to get her something easy to drive, efficient petrol use and safe (we have a 2 year old daughter). Any suggestions for any cars I could look at?

to help heres the details!

-she is type 1, manages it really well
-this will be her first car
-she will be visiting places with our daughter
-Im clueless at cars so don't worry, I will check any suggestions out with a couple mechanics I know before purchasing!
-Will have to be second hand but I can stretch to a couple grand

apologies for the long thread and thanks a lot in advance for the advice!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insurance doesn't care that she is diabetic, it didn't add anything to my insurance! Just the DVLA only give you maximum of a 3 year license as a diabetic.

If you have a child I recommend a 4 door car if you can stretch to it. SO MUCH EASIER for getting little ones in and out of car seats!!

Look at little city run around cars. Fiesta, corsa, polo, Yaris etc by the sounds of it that's all she needs at this point :) good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Firstly, she'll be fine on Car Insurance. Most of us T1s have not seen any issues. On car choice... I'll let someone else come back on that!

Reactions: 2 people

Chromer

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys! sorry if assuming the insurance being higher sounded a little ignorant, I'm glad no one has had any issues on that front! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As said there's no loaded premiums for having type 1 diabetes with regards to car insurance, however for life insurance it's a different story.

Try the price comparison sites for cheap car insurance, they include most insurance companies but not some of the big ones like Direct Line, I've always found them to be very good at getting the best price on things like car insurance for myself and my family.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys! sorry if assuming the insurance being higher sounded a little ignorant, I'm glad no one has had any issues on that front! :)

I assumed it would have been higher too so was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Insurance doesn't care that she is diabetic, it didn't add anything to my insurance! Just the DVLA only give you maximum of a 3 year license as a diabetic.

If you have a child I recommend a 4 door car if you can stretch to it. SO MUCH EASIER for getting little ones in and out of car seats!!

Look at little city run around cars. Fiesta, corsa, polo, Yaris etc by the sounds of it that's all she needs at this point :) good luck!
The only thing I would to this good advice is. Try to find out what colour and even the car model she likes.
Then you can reduce your search. Most vehicles have good and bad points, if you know what model you would like you can then check forums for advice relating to faults and cost etc;
best if luck.