Risk associated with Surgery

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Diabetic Patients are usually handled with too much care if the treatment involves a surgery . I had the horrible experience while I had a case of tooth extraction . Is there any real risk with us diabetics during surgeries??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I didn't notice any extra care when I had eye surgery ( type 1). Had my operation at about 1pm, overnight stay and was left to do my own blood tests, injections as well. We have to have a BS which is not low or above 12 to 14 ( I think it was).
Surgery is always a risk with everyone including diabetics, My BS levels after surgery were very high for a couple of weeks, unfortunately, it does affect me badly. I just like to be treated like everyone else and I have never had any problems, also had a Caesarian and 2 endoscopies.

RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Diabetic Patients are usually handled with too much care if the treatment involves a surgery . I had the horrible experience while I had a case of tooth extraction . Is there any real risk with us diabetics during surgeries??

The main problem is if your control is **** or hba1c is high then the healing time will be a lot longer as well as complications...saying that though when I was 15 I broke, fractured and dislocated my ankle so HAD to have an op to put it back in place....and well my hba1c was in the 100's then and I was fine...healing took a tiny bit longer but not that much longer...I suppose it depends on the person!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With any surgery there's risks involved whether you have diabetes or not, I wouldn't go as far as to say that we are handled with too much care, better that way than other IMHO, besides the risks are heightened for people with diabetes and the recovery time can take longer too.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I think you are right .Because of longer time required for healing and recovery ,the patients are given extra care

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
They definitely need to know you are diabetic as some of the drugs contain elements that can dramatically increase your blood sugar levels. Provided your levels are around normal however they are able to navigate around that with recent medications. I carry a card with me all the time showing what medications I am on so I don't get injected with high sugar related drugs.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main problem is if your control is **** or hba1c is high then the healing time will be a lot longer as well as complications...saying that though when I was 15 I broke, fractured and dislocated my ankle so HAD to have an op to put it back in place....and well my hba1c was in the 100's then and I was fine...healing took a tiny bit longer but not that much longer...I suppose it depends on the person!
Hi Nicola. Annoying question time. How long did your ankle take to get back to normal (if it did!) and did you have to have screws and plate in it? I have done exactly what you describe and it's driving mad not to be already fixed!!! Grrr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Nicola. Annoying question time. How long did your ankle take to get back to normal (if it did!) and did you have to have screws and plate in it? I have done exactly what you describe and it's driving mad not to be already fixed!!! Grrr

How you doing MrsB, sounds like it's not going too well with the healing ? RRB

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How you doing MrsB, sounds like it's not going too well with the healing ? RRB
The healing is not too bad it's just the end of day swelling, lack of muscle and shrunken tendons etc. am apparently healing really well but I can hardly bend it to walk. I'm looking like Quasimodo without the crutch :) you don't realise how much you bend your ankle forward when you walk until you can't do it. Also I am a very impatient Scorpio am thought I'd be all back to normal by now. How is your wrist doing? X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The healing is not too bad it's just the end of day swelling, lack of muscle and shrunken tendons etc. am apparently healing really well but I can hardly bend it to walk. I'm looking like Quasimodo without the crutch :) you don't realise how much you bend your ankle forward when you walk until you can't do it. Also I am a very impatient Scorpio am thought I'd be all back to normal by now. How is your wrist doing? X

Hey, good to see you again! Sorry to hear it is so slow to heal...

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, good to see you again! Sorry to hear it is so slow to heal...
Thanks. I know I have to be patient and do my exercises like a good girl but......... Aaaagh!!

Although, I'm going for hydrotherapy at the hospital on 5th with Nick (not met him yet) but a nice hot tub with a fit young man doesn't sound too bad to me. Need 5 sessions apparently. Oh what a hardship :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi MrsB, I know exactly how you feel, I still have a Quasimodo arm.! Reading " you are apparently healing well" is the same as me, hospital told me my wrist had healed remarkably well :confused: I asked if they had the right x rays.:eek: I would suspect, like you, we never thought a break ( a smash up) would end up, 3 months down the line, still having treatment and not back to normal. I'm still going to hand therapy clinic every week and I have better use of my hand now, no real pain any more , but wrist still locked in same position, Getting there though, as this is my first ever break at 56, is it your first too ?

RRB:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I know I have to be patient and do my exercises like a good girl but......... Aaaagh!!

Although, I'm going for hydrotherapy at the hospital on 5th with Nick (not met him yet) but a nice hot tub with a fit young man doesn't sound too bad to me. Need 5 sessions apparently. Oh what a hardship :D

We need full details, after the event. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

What, that's not fair,o_O I have to sit at a table with Kevin the other side measuring the angles of wrist, fingers, joints, bent, and straightened ( well actually still bent).......................... and you're a married woman as well, ahhhh shucks o_O

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi MrsB, I know exactly how you feel, I still have a Quasimodo arm.! Reading " you are apparently healing well" is the same as me, hospital told me my wrist had healed remarkably well :confused: I asked if they had the right x rays.:eek: I would suspect, like you, we never thought a break ( a smash up) would end up, 3 months down the line, still having treatment and not back to normal. I'm still going to hand therapy clinic every week and I have better use of my hand now, no real pain any more , but wrist still locked in same position, Getting there though, as this is my first ever break at 56, is it your first too ?

RRB:)
I could lie and say yes, first ever break but unfortunately I actually broke the second toe on the same foot 2 weeks before the ankle playing football on a trampoline. Careless I know heehee. Was break free up to age 38 and 3/4

G

graj0

I've had five colonoscopies (one with something being removed), 2 emergency hospital admissions (unrelated to D), 2 molar extractions and my experience has been that nursing staff seem to be more worried about diabetics but purely because they don't know enough, only that their BG should be so and so.
I'm having a Total Knee Replacement on Tuesday and all the hospital has done is make sure that they know my dietary requirements and the nurse advised me to bring my own meter, otherwise the hospital will invoice me. I'm having it done privately (hence being invoiced if they supply BG meter) because I don't want to wait until I'm too old to make good use of my new knees (the other one gets done next March if I'm lucky). I'll be able to update you on my treatment as it happens (they have WiFi, and I'll have my tablet - for the Kindle app mainly).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had five colonoscopies (one with something being removed), 2 emergency hospital admissions (unrelated to D), 2 molar extractions and my experience has been that nursing staff seem to be more worried about diabetics but purely because they don't know enough, only that their BG should be so and so.
I'm having a Total Knee Replacement on Tuesday and all the hospital has done is make sure that they know my dietary requirements and the nurse advised me to bring my own meter, otherwise the hospital will invoice me. I'm having it done privately (hence being invoiced if they supply BG meter) because I don't want to wait until I'm too old to make good use of my new knees (the other one gets done next March if I'm lucky). I'll be able to update you on my treatment as it happens (they have WiFi, and I'll have my tablet - for the Kindle app mainly).

Hope it goes well!

Keep us informed. :)

My mother' ship replacement transformed her life. Hope your op does the same.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it goes well!

Keep us informed. :)

My mother' ship replacement transformed her life. Hope your op does the same.

Because a new ship is soooo much more transformatory than a new hip. :happy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

All the best and good luck on Tuesday :)

With my bes wishes RRB