Skiing

Kingo kingsley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing really
Hi going skiing in January again bit this will be the first time with type 1 can anyone give me any advice or tips to help manage my levels thanks

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Hi as you may be able to see I ski regularly and the secret is to monitor.
But I would say as you are a beginner only cut your Bolus although you may have to cut the Basel if you find you get consistent lows.
I generally only change my Bolus on Holiday - the secret to is every time you stop TEST frequent restaurant stops
At least one mid morning and one mid afternoon - remember it is a Holiday.
The Basel is tricky because you can only really change it once in a week.
As it builds through the week each day on the previous as the Lantus (if you are on it) will work for 26 hours so builds slightly each day on the last).
If you need any more help let me know?
Also take a couple of chocolate bars I like snickers and or bounty bars in your ski jacket.
If you feel low it's better to eat something and find out later that you weren't than the other way round.
Also almost forgot some Glucogel for hypos you can get it from your GP.

Last edited by a moderator:

moz1

Never heard of lantus lasting 26 hours! More like 18 hours according to DSN which fits in with my own experience.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Skiing in Bannf I had problems with my pens emptying themselves. I had them wrapped up, inside a wallet, in a pocket next to by body and once open they still emptied :(

Don't know whether it was the altitude or ridiculously low temperatures but I ended up having to buy insulin over the counter due to using a pen per day!

Also - keep your meter somewhere warmish, as mine told me the temp was too low to test. I had to sit there warming it up before I could use it.

Other than that, just the normal: snacks, err on the side of caution, don't try to ski too long... end of the day is when we had crashes/accidents.

Oh... and keep checking your blood sugar level ;0)

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Never heard of lantus lasting 26 hours! More like 18 hours according to DSN which fits in with my own experience.
Hi really
Well I do one jab a day at midnight amd it seems to take me through to the next night
Maybe I'll ask my DSN next time I see her
Thanks for the insight

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Skiing in Bannf I had problems with my pens emptying themselves. I had them wrapped up, inside a wallet, in a pocket next to by body and once open they still emptied :(

Don't know whether it was the altitude or ridiculously low temperatures but I ended up having to buy insulin over the counter due to using a pen per day!

Also - keep your meter somewhere warmish, as mine told me the temp was too low to test. I had to sit there warming it up before I could use it.

Other than that, just the normal: snacks, err on the side of caution, don't try to ski too long... end of the day is when we had crashes/accidents.

Oh... and keep checking your blood sugar level ;0)
Hi
I alway keep my pen pointy end up right next to my wallet. Also when I first went skiing I used a 1/2 inch wood drill to drill a hole in some polystyrene and wrapped it in tin foil put it in my inside jacket pocket again pointy end up.
A bit DIY I know but it worked.
Also don't drill all the way through the polystyrene just about 1 inch from the bottom.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Hi going skiing in January again bit this will be the first time with type 1 can anyone give me any advice or tips to help manage my levels thanks
Hey I just had a thought - I remember when I first started skiing and it was 8 hours of exercise so 4hours AM lunch then 4 hours PM.
I realised that I was going to be low an awful lot unless I changed my insulin.
So what I did was half my TDD and work back from there halved the basal and the bolus, after about week 3-4 I realised that my basal was about the same give or take a couple of units but my bolus was less as I was exercising for 4 hours after breakfast and lunch.
Anyway best to experiment and find out better being high and having insulin than being low after your forth hypo, that'd be my best advice.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi really
Well I do one jab a day at midnight amd it seems to take me through to the next night
Maybe I'll ask my DSN next time I see her
Thanks for the insight

I take my Lantus at 7.30pm and it lasts me all the way through too. However I have heard of some people splitting their basal presumably because it doesn't last them. X

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I take my Lantus at 7.30pm and it lasts me all the way through too. However I have heard of some people splitting their basal presumably because it doesn't last them. X
I know strange - not sure - I won't listen in case my Body gets to hear about it.
While it's working I'm not giving up!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi I've skied and found that if I ate high carb breakfast such as porridge and cut bolus by half that would get me through to lunch, only downside is I had a few hypos whilst on the slopes and didnt know, it which was slightly alarming but was due to the altitude, also ran higher in the evening when I relaxed.

Nothing would stop me from skiing though !!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also keep you meter close to your body as the cold can affect readings, so as near to skin as possible..

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Also keep you meter close to your body as the cold can affect readings, so as near to skin as possible..
I meant to mention maybe go inside to do tests as the meters don't work well at -21 degrees.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Last point... Carry jelly babies not chocolate as it takes too long for this to take effect, I take a few bags with me as easy to carry, eat and get into the bloodstream.. And don't be generous handing them out to your mates, mine loved stopping for breaks with me..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I meant to mention maybe go inside to do tests as the meters don't work well at -21 degrees.
Sadly where we ski there aren't many places to stop indoors so by keeping it warm next to skin meant easier to do checks ;)

Reactions: 2 people