I'm back - with diet problem!

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On 19 July I was rushed to hospital with an Ischemic bowel, part of my small and large bowel had died and had to be removed in emergency surgery or it could have killed me, then my small and large bowel was resected. One of the after effects of this surgery is chronic diarrhoea which can be controlled by having a colostomy or medication and diet. At the moment I am trying the meds and diet, but, the diet is more or less the opposite of the one I eat to control my diabetes! eg: white bread, no vedg or salad, bananas, porridge, which I haven't touched since I was diagnosed. I just don't know how to balance the bowel resection diet and the diabetes diet for which I am diet controlled. My BS numbers have been between 4 and about 7.2 (2hrs after eating), and often I have to eat something because my level goes very low and I feel light headed. Also, I lost another nearly 2 stones since I became ill, which makes a total 5 stones weight loss - is this why my BS numbers are not as high as I expected? I would like to avoid having a colostomy if possible, yet with one it would be easier to eat my diabetes diet - it's a dilemma!

Anyway, I'm back with you now, but still recovering from this big op! I've been told it can take up to a year.......

Have'nt had time yet to catch up with the threads, but hope you are all doing well:).

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my goodness you have had a tough time! I hope you are getting stronger day by day after your operation. Best wishes:)

K

Kat100

Welcome back sorry to hear you have been so unwell ..nice to gave you back ....
Will you get some further medical,advice re your diet from your medical team ...
Take care of yourself ..best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How very shocking! I hope you improve and regain your strength quickly. Welcome back.

Perhaps the additional weight loss has reversed your diabetes? Have a listen and watch of Prof Taylor's most recent lecture, here:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/about/n...ure-on-reversing-type-2-diabetes-4th-november

I bet you have lost enough weight to be in with a great chance of having achieved it. Could just be a completely bizarre silver lining?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness @Beshlie , I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through!

And glad you're back. :)

It would be wonderful if you have reversed your diabetes. Some consolation, at least.

How are you doing? How active and 'normal' can you get your life to be?

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor has told me that my diabetes is in remission, you were right 'And Breathe'. I will still have my check ups but, if I remain at my current weight - or lower, and continue to eat as I am I should be OK.:).

Due to having to have my bowel surgery I am only just able to start exercising again - mainly short walks at the moment, so that should improve things. I still feel a bit weak at the moment.

When I had a CT scan they found a lump or something near where my gall bladder used to be, so I'm waiting for an MRI to find out what that is! Hopefully it will be 'innocent' :confused:.

Reactions: 4 people

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Good luck with that, Beshlie. Best not to have a colostomy if you can avoid it - a bag on your tummy can be a nuisance to cope with. although its perfectly tolerable if necessary.
Light exercise and a healthy diet, thats the way to recovery.
Don't get desperate if you regain some of that weight, sudden weight loss like that will usually go backwards as you recover normal health. Concentrate on being as healthy as you can be.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would take that remission with a pinch of salt. I am officially cured but had a BG reading of 18 the other day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like all your post, aside from the near your former gall bladder bit. Fingers crossed for you.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a reading over 11.1 anytime is diabetic, you aren't cured
thanks I don't know what to do next. my hbA1c and post GTT results are non diabetic so my doctors insist I don't have diabetes.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks I don't know what to do next. my hbA1c and post GTT results are non diabetic so my doctors insist I don't have diabetes.
if it was a one off spike, it could be from something else, if you are regularly getting high spikes, I would see the Dr again because further investigation would be needed

Reactions: 4 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if it was a one off spike, it could be from something else, if you are regularly getting high spikes, I would see the Dr again because further investigation would be needed
Thanks mate but i,m just a nuiscance to them now. some idiot who thinks he is diabetic.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would take that remission with a pinch of salt. I am officially cured but had a BG reading of 18 the other day.

Beardie, I've never had a BG reading that high. I'm usually between 4 and about 7.4 max. - 2 hrs after a meal. I still test as usual.