BS readings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not going to repeat yesterdays. Insulin sticking plaster. I'm going to see what the pattern is. No way the novorapid was still working at bedtime. Went to bed lovely and low.

Yes, best to leave things over the weekend and see GP on Monday. You will have a clearer picture then. Just keep an eye on it, as I know you will. Take care. Fingers crossed it is a blip that can be sorted easily. x

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit, I reeally thought I was cruising, being very carefull what I ate, losing the weight & I can see the figures dropping as the weight comes off, but never imagine that I was getting these highs at 1 Hour. I have been cheking all my foods at 2 hrs so I probably are going to have to start again.
I wouldn't have imagined that these sugars can rise and fall so quickly. Have taken everthing very seriously since bein diagnosed and had felt everything was all going the the right direction but seems I have a long way to go.

DON'T PANIC if your 1 hour readings are high - this is normal after a meal with some carbs. Non-diabetics have these spikes too. I believe 7.8 is a "normal" figure at 1 hour and 6.6 at 2 hours. (for non-diabetics). If you are within that, it is normal and good. I only test these because I want to make sure my own recorded levels pick up the peaks so I have a clearer picture of my averages before my next HbA1c.

Some forum members test their own non-diabetic families and see spikes of above 7.8 at an hour. The trick is to get them down again by 2 hours, and if that happens, something is working in your body.

alliebee

Bless you alliebee, glad you are planning a trip to the doctor on Monday. Maybe the best idea to not have your "sticking plaster" today to get a picture of what's happening (you could have the large one that's very annoying on the back of my neck :mad: )
So hope your neck eases soon Kimbo
Yes its not rising like yesterday. Just keeping low carb and watch n wait. Lol

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not going to repeat yesterdays. Insulin sticking plaster. I'm going to see what the pattern is. No way the novorapid was still working at bedtime. Went to bed lovely and low.

Bearing in mind you have strips and a means to test for ketones, a couple of days potentially higher is unlikely to do any material damage. If, as you suspect, your pneumonia jab has undermined your system, then that would be likely to ease over a couple of days anyway.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DON'T PANIC if your 1 hour readings are high - this is normal after a meal with some carbs. Non-diabetics have these spikes too. I believe 7.8 is a "normal" figure at 1 hour and 6.6 at 2 hours. (for non-diabetics). If you are within that, it is normal and good. I only test these because I want to make sure my own recorded levels pick up the peaks so I have a clearer picture of my averages before my next HbA1c.

Some forum members test their own non-diabetic families and see spikes of above 7.8 at an hour. The trick is to get them down again by 2 hours, and if that happens, something is working in your body.

Not Panicing yet, just dissapointed, the info re; the norm is helpful (thankyou) to get it into perspective, think I will try some 1hr testing just to check some of these 'luv life' breads & carby foods etc. I also want to make sure I know where I am at fo my HbA1c in January, 1st since being diagnosed.

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

Prepare yourself for some shocks. I had a 6.1 at 2 hours recently, but I had been 10 at 1hr 18 minutes and still 8.9 at 1.5 hours.. Mind you, I deserved it. It was a bad meal (but delicious). The 2 hour reading can be very misleading at times. I now test at 1hr, 2hrs and 2.5hrs. sometimes even 3 hours if necessary. After some meals with a lot of fats I may only go up to the low 6's, but I stay up there for 3 hours or more. As I am usually down to high 4's before my next meal I could so easily miss these 3+ hours of being in the 6's.
Once again Blue I totally agreed. I remember the smug post I made re my joy a creamy buttery risotto didn't spike me??? I got a massive 1 hr spike when I retested.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Once again Blue I totally agreed. I remember the smug post I made re my joy a creamy buttery risotto didn't spike me??? I got a massive 1 hr spike when I retested.

Same happened to me with my hubby's delicious meat and spud pie!

alliebee

.I've tested my family. Often. ( pity them. The grandkids run and hide when I get my meter...) and I've seen 1 hour spikes of 8's and even 9's. All normal if 2 hr readings are down. According to Endo friend. But we in the club that no one wants to be in are slower coming down

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
.I've tested my family. Often. ( pity them. The grandkids run and hide when I get my meter...) and I've seen 1 hour spikes of 8's and even 9's. All normal if 2 hr readings are down. According to Endo friend. But we in the club that no one wants to be in are slower coming down

:hilarious: love to see your grandkids' faces!

That's why I don't panic if I see high readings at 1 hour but back down to acceptable levels at 2 hours. It just makes a mess of my averages. Lol.

I've only tested my hubby once (fasting) and he shouted out "hells bells that hurt" when he pricked his finger. He hasn't asked me to do it again!

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1, good substitute for Potato chips is Celeriac chips. Waitrose sell them. If you put them in the oven (till dry) and fry (it take less time then), You can store it for couple of days. Mine did not last that long as until its finished I could not keep away! So only once in a while I buy it. I stopped buying peanuts too. Since it is better value if buy bigger bag of peanuts I develop a habit of snacking, now I buy smaller bags and do not buy for sometimes.I have a problem of controlling portion sizes.working on it falling, working on it sliding back, - long journey

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The oven chips and peas are devils there Rosie! Was your yoghurt low fat? That's a culprit too, full fat better.

Not sure as it's gone in the bin. It was Rachel organic Greek style coconut yogurt it had 10g carbs and 10g fats 100g.

I used to be ok with a few of these oven chips about a month ago.

Trying Burgens soya and linseed bread today as I need to keep my fibre up to help with the server constipation. Will let you know on this one at 12-45.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Still not panicing but will have to sort it.

FG 5.1 (8.28am) 1hr later before Breakfast 6.2 highest I have had for a long time, then 1hr 11.6, never tested 1hrs & never had a figure so high, not sure I'm pleased I started testing or not at 1hr, then 2hrs 4.8 2hrs 10 minutes moving some logs,
Breakfast was 50/50 Orange juice sm glass, Granola 40g 31/2% fat yogurt 100g 1/2 sm apple.

Pre dinner stayed 4.8.........now waiting for the full hr.
2 eggs, 2 rashers bacon 1 mushroom, 1/2 slice LuvLife bread fried.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Still not panicing but will have to sort it.

FG 5.1 (8.28am) 1hr later before Breakfast 6.2 highest I have had for a long time, then 1hr 11.6, never tested 1hrs & never had a figure so high, not sure I'm pleased I started testing or not at 1hr, then 2hrs 4.8 2hrs 10 minutes moving some logs,
Breakfast was 50/50 Orange juice sm glass, Granola 40g 31/2% fat yogurt 100g 1/2 sm apple.

Pre dinner stayed 4.8.........now waiting for the full hr.
2 eggs, 2 rashers bacon 1 mushroom, 1/2 slice LuvLife bread fried.

Worry not. Your level dropped to a very pleasing level at 2 hours. I would say your 1 hour level reflected the orange juice, the apple, and most definitely the granola. So many carbs in granola! It would have been better with a full fat yogurt. Fruit juice is worse than raw fruit and should be avoided. I would expect many non-diabetics would see double figures with that breakfast. How about a yogurt (FF if possible) with a small amount of berries/small bits of apple and sprinkle some seeds or nuts on top. I use Flaxseed.

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep,
The fruit jiuce is definately out as it was the last of a stock, before I realised I should not be having it.

I have just bought FF Yogurt (tescos') but I find it too thick, the one I was having was 'Milbona' but i could only find it at 3.5% fat but it was more runny which I preferred, but that's out now.

I had thought the Granola would be OK but checked again, 23 carbs per portion, should have known better.

I have been having Blue berries the 1/2 apple was a test, back to the blue berries then and nuts added with some seeds.

I had forgotton to say I have been having a teanspoon full of Flaxseed nearly every day with my breakfast.

Full 1hr after the eggs & bacon BF 4.8 then 1hr 5.2 this is better.......thank you all for your advice

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lesson learnt - always read the labels! No need to ditch the yogurt if the carbs are low, it's just that a FF one will keep the possible spike a bit lower.. You could try a FF one with a dash of cream to make it runnier. I use Fage Total and find if I stir it up it creams more. I am more adventurous than you. I have between 1 and 2 dessertspoons of Flaxseed in my yogurt. I found it gritty at first, but have got used to it now.

I've just had a fry/grill up. 3 rashers of bacon, 1 90% pork sausage, an egg, a grilled tomato, mushrooms done in butter, and a slice of toast and butter (Hovis Seed Sensations) and a mug of tea. Before 5.5. After an hour 6.7. I await the 2hr reading with interest!

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hovis seed sensations is one of my choices, fact is I used to each masses of bread, brown white whatever, but since pre diagnosis I had cut down considerably, and now since full diagnosis eating very little bread 2 / 3 slices a week mainly ryvita & and the new ryvita crisp bread made of nothing.

I have been for the last 10/15 years been a 'very low fat man' would cut the fat off bacon and ham, cut most fat off meats, this change to eating fat, although I like the fat, is a slow process. I'm getting there now, changed back to butter from so called cholestrial fitting spreads 4 weeks ago, and ate
all the fat on the bacon today. Had reduced my cheese considerably but I'm moving back to that now, just havent managed the cream yet, although I do like it. I try the extra Flaxseed I have sprinkled Teaspoonfull on scambled eggs didnt notice the difference.

Lunch eggs & bacon BF 4.8 then 1hr 5.2 then 2 hrs 5.6 feel happier now......

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure as it's gone in the bin. It was Rachel organic Greek style coconut yogurt it had 10g carbs and 10g fats 100g.

I used to be ok with a few of these oven chips about a month ago.

Trying Burgens soya and linseed bread today as I need to keep my fibre up to help with the server constipation. Will let you know on this one at 12-45.
I eat Burgens Soya and linseed bread and can have 2 slices with no real rise - in fact sometimes my BS is lower after lunch than before!!