Eating Saturated Fat doesn't increase fats in blood

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Rise of saturated fat in diet does not raise fats in blood'

Oh my here is a study that many people in the forum had no idea about ( eyes rolling )

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/285915.php

In my opinion the following is the most important point and again one that many of us in the forum had no clue about ( eyes rolling again )

"...This finding supports the idea that individual tolerances to carbs can be dramatically different."

And to the ADA and NHS diabetic nutritionist "thank you for absolutely nothing - your patients know more than you try listening"

And to Dr. Bernstein " keep the faith baby". Hey what can I say but I'm a baby boomer

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 17 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Something similar was on Breakfast this am, think it was in the Telegraph. Slowly but surely eh!

Reactions: 6 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Something similar was on Breakfast this am, think it was in the Telegraph. Slowly but surely eh!

Yes Dawn too slowly and people are literally dying because of their stubborn refusal to open their eyes to what their patients are proving.

Right now I am lying in bed after a meal of veggies and pork loin with sriracha and Its Mayo. Now full and happy and my BG is 4.4 and my insulin pen has not been used this evening

Not saying its like this all the time but for tonight I feel normal again.

If I had eaten a regular 50% or more carb meal I'd have used a bunch of insulin, be hungry and not feeling as good.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There'll be nay sayers forever, but the tide is slowly turning.
And their arguments are getting weaker and weaker.

I think there is a place for the full range of different styles of eating.
I just object to people muttering judgemental warnings, based on out-dated dietary mis-information.

I can only imagine how dire my life would have been without low carb and decent amounts of fat.
And I'm pleased to say that the longer and better I low carb, and the more I fine tune my double cream intake, the better I feel. ;) :D

Reactions: 10 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I just object to people muttering judgemental warnings, based on out-dated dietary mis-information.

;) :D

Brunneria such good points and what I've learned here is just what you said we all respond differently to different diets.

A high fat diet didn't mean massive quantities of high fat foods. It means moderation with less focus on processed and high density carbs.

I know what you men about the double cream - in my coffee or tea in the morning and tiny sips through the day as pick me ups - just lovely

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-11/osu-sds111814.php
Doubling or even nearly tripling saturated fat in the diet does not drive up total levels of saturated fat in the blood, according to a controlled diet study.

However, increasing levels of carbohydrates in the diet during the study promoted a steady increase in the blood of a fatty acid linked to an elevated risk for diabetes and heart disease.

The finding "challenges the conventional wisdom that has demonized saturated fat and extends our knowledge of why dietary saturated fat doesn't correlate with disease," said senior author Jeff Volek, a professor of human sciences at The Ohio State University.

Reactions: 9 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-11/osu-sds111814.php
Doubling or even nearly tripling saturated fat in the diet does not drive up total levels of saturated fat in the blood, according to a controlled diet study.

However, increasing levels of carbohydrates in the diet during the study promoted a steady increase in the blood of a fatty acid linked to an elevated risk for diabetes and heart disease.

The finding "challenges the conventional wisdom that has demonized saturated fat and extends our knowledge of why dietary saturated fat doesn't correlate with disease," said senior author Jeff Volek, a professor of human sciences at The Ohio State University.

Hey @jack412 when did you become a ADA or NHS diabetic dietician? :) :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I remain amazed at the level of ignorance in the medical profession inclduing so-called dieticians and nutritionists. If I had ignored the scientific method like these guy do in my profession as an engineer I would have been sacked.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria Maybe it is you that is rather judgemental and it is unfair to call some our experts as "mutterings". We all know our tides are changing yet I think this old out of date link is not that bad if truth was known what was to happen with diets today.Rationing In Britain - YouTube

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria Maybe it is you that is rather judgemental and it is unfair to call some our experts as "mutterings". We all know our tides are changing yet I think this old out of date link is not that bad if truth was known what was to happen with diets today.Rationing In Britain - YouTube
Izzzy, I am coming to treasure your contributions.
You always seem to reinforce my comments by trying to undermine them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi so you would have all our children eating sugar sprinkled over their breakfast cereal?!

We should all be eating margarine?

You're having a laugh - right?
@nomistheman Yes I am having a laugh. Just look how healthy those people look on that old clip.
I can see your point , We do not use sugar in our household as in those days, and margarine has been changed to spreads these days.
Nowadays just look at the confectionery range in our supermarkets etc; and your sugar has got the last laugh to destroy your health.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Izzzy, I am coming to treasure your comments.
You always seem to reinforce my comments by trying to undermine them.
NO: It is the Opposite.
Think about it, It is my way to get attention to a good cause.:) I mean your good intention and cause.

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it ok to eat butter? We have been told that butter is bad. Subsequently, I haven't eaten it in 30 years. Confused!

A

AnnieC

@nomistheman Yes I am having a laugh. Just look how healthy those people look on that old clip.
I can see your point , We do not use sugar in our household as in those days, and margarine has been changed to spreads these days.
Nowadays just look at the confectionery range in our supermarkets etc; and your sugar has got the last laugh to destroy your health.
I grew up in London through the wars years and rationing and margarine never did me any harm...it was nowhere near as nice as the spreads of today.. there was just me and my mother my father was in the army and we only got a tiny bit of butter on ration a week. I never had sugar sandwiches didn't like them but I know my cousin did my preference was bread and dripping and yes we were healthy it is a known fact that people were healthier then even though we ate a lot of starchy carbs like bread and potatoes to bulk out a meal and rice pudding and macaroni cheese I can remember having a lot of that when we had used all the meat until the next week

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I grew up in London through the wars years and rationing and margarine never did me any harm...it was nowhere near as nice as the spreads of today.. there was just me and my mother my father was in the army and we only got a tiny bit of butter on ration a week. I never had sugar sandwiches didn't like them but I know my cousin did my preference was bread and dripping and yes we were healthy it is a known fact that people were healthier then even though we ate a lot of starchy carbs like bread and potatoes to bulk out a meal and rice pudding and macaroni cheese I can remember having a lot of that when we had used all the meat until the next week

Yes, my mother says very similar things.
Her family were growing their own veg, with very little fruit, except what they picked from the hedgerows, very little processed anything. She loved having pease pudding - said it was nicer than bread. She remembers her sweet ration as being tiny - the same in a week as most children eat in a day now. And my grandmother was a genius, apparently, at making everything go further, mainly supplemented out of the garden. But if you went for the cheaper cuts of meat, belly pork, stewing steak, etc. you could get a decent portion...

I think so much has to do with activity levels. We are such a sedentary society. Housewives in those days used to use wash boards, beat rugs, scrub floors... keeping a house, preparing, cooking and feeding a family was a full time, physical occupation. There was no central heating. Coal and firewood had to be prepped and fetched. People walked to school, to work and to the shops.

Carbs are only a major problem if you don't burn them off with exercise (@cold ethyl and @Andrew Colvin are achieving this every day). and since exercise is a great reducer of insulin resistence, I am sure that if I exercised much more, I could eat more carbs. But I don't. There's a limit beyond which time, enthusiasm, and my various other physical annoyances stop me from exercising.

By the way, @AnnieC I hope your appointment on Tuesday goes well, and you come in under the bar again!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think so much has to do with activity levels. We are such a sedentary society. Housewives in those days used to use wash boards, beat rugs, scrub floors... keeping a house, preparing, cooking and feeding a family was a full time, physical occupation. There was no central heating. Coal and firewood had to be prepped and fetched. People walked to school, to work and to the shops.

Agreed Brunneria, only a few weeks ago my wife and I were recalling how our mothers and grandma's would scrub the front door step everyday, they were obsessed with keeping it clean, there's so many more you could add to your list above.

But we do all lead a much more sedentary lives compared to our parents and their before, when I was a small child very few people could afford a car and the streets had very few on them, now you can have two or three cars per household............just like my own :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed Brunneria, only a few weeks ago my wife and I were recalling how our mothers and grandma's would scrub the front door step everyday, they were obsessed with keeping it clean, there's so many more you could add to your list above.

But we do all lead a much more sedentary lives compared to our parents and their before, when I was a small child very few people could afford a car and the streets had very few on them, now you can have two or three cars per household............just like my own :rolleyes:
images
Don't forget the good old Dyson.