Eating Saturated Fat doesn't increase fats in blood

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
... when I was a small child very few people could afford a car and the streets had very few on them, now you can have two or three cars per household............just like my own :rolleyes:

Noblehead, thanks for bringing me down memory lane ... I remember that in my childhood no cars were even parked in my street. And after school, we would always be playing in the street, ball games, hopscotchs (sp?) or whatever. - And whenever - on rare occasions - someone spotted a car coming into the street, he/she would yell out: "Car coming" - and we would immediately remove our paraphernalia from the street and respectfully stand aside until the car had passed.

And we would walk anywhere, even for rather long distances (in my then take of things as a very young person) ... - but it would save us the bus fare.

So having myself been born in the 'baby boom year' (1945), I also recognize a lot of what has been said by you posters above. Food rationing, swapping food coupons etc (sugar coupons in exchange of coffee coupons etc). - It was so fortunate that my paternal grandfather worked in a sugar factory and his wife was a big coffee drinker, so we never lacked for sugar coupons ...

There wasn't a lot of meat around, but we had an apartment in my maternal grandmother's house with rather a large vegetable garden.

annelise

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Noblehead, thanks for bringing me down memory lane ... I remember that in my childhood no cars were even parked in my street. And after school, we would always be playing in the street, ball games, hopscotchs (sp?) or whatever. - And whenever - on rare occasions - someone spotted a car coming into the street, he/she would yell out: "Car coming" - and we would immediately remove our paraphernalia from the street and respectfully stand aside until the car had passed.

And we would walk anywhere, even for rather long distances (in my then take of things as a very young person) ... - but it would save us the bus fare.

So having myself been born in the 'baby boom year' (1945), I also recognize a lot of what has been said by you posters above. Food rationing, swapping food coupons etc (sugar coupons in exchange of coffee coupons etc). - It was so fortunate that my paternal grandfather worked in a sugar factory and his wife was a big coffee drinker, so we never lacked for sugar coupons ...

There wasn't a lot of meat around, but we had an apartment in my maternal grandmother's house with rather a large vegetable garden.

annelise
Just hopscotch.
Sounds idyllic!

Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
WellI I would take that "study" with a huge pinch of salt and I would like to ask those who think that dietary fat does not increase the fat in your blood (cholesterol) to answer me why is it that we are asked to fast for a lipid profile?

Of course I already know the answer to my question as its because it takes 8 hours or so for the fat you eat to completely leave your blood stream so if you dont fast before a lipid profile blood test it skews the results and shows you have moor fat/cholesterol in your blood as a base level than is the case.

At this point I would happily admit that I havent read and have no interest in reading the linked study but the way the thread title is worded is surely incorrect, as as far as I am aware any dietary fat will increase the fat/cholesterol in your blood stream.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sid Bonkers I tend to read the studies but make up my own mind after trying the recommendations. My cholesterol has gone down since following LCHF, it went up when I was on a low fat diet. That's all the proof I need. I don't care what the studies say, I look to my blood tests for confirmation. Have you ever tried LCHF yourself? If so, did your cholesterol levels get better or worse?

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The telegraph today also had a great article saying that they now recognise that saturated fat does not do harm and the carbs do!!!!!!

Yaaaay, whoooo, hoooooo!! They also mentioned that NHS needs to review its advice and eat well plate...

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@Sid Bonkers I tend to read the studies but make up my own mind after trying the recommendations. My cholesterol has gone down since following LCHF, it went up when I was on a low fat diet. That's all the proof I need. I don't care what the studies say, I look to my blood tests for confirmation. Have you ever tried LCHF yourself? If so, did your cholesterol levels get better or worse?
The telegraph today also had a great article saying that they now recognise that saturated fat does not do harm and the carbs do!!!!!!

Yaaaay, whoooo, hoooooo!! They also mentioned that NHS needs to review its advice and eat well plate...
I also like to read all the evidence before making up my mind and I have still yet to find evidence to support the healthy eating plate.
Recognition for lchf is coming. Slowly. But we're getting there!

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my cholesterol went from 6 something to 2.8 and my trigs from 2.7 to 0.6 on lchf, yes i eat lots of fat, not moderate amounts

so how do you make sense of that @Sid Bonkers if eating fat puts cholesterol up?

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
WellI I would take that "study" with a huge pinch of salt and I would like to ask those who think that dietary fat does not increase the fat in your blood (cholesterol) to answer me why is it that we are asked to fast for a lipid profile?

And there I was thinking cholesterol was produced in the liver, silly me. I think I'll stick to Malcolm Kendrick thanks.

As I understand it you only need to fast for lipids in respect of triglycerides which, surprise surprise, are mostly associated with carbohydrate consumption and processed food loaded with fructose. After 4 months of LCHF my trigs went down from 5.7 to 2.0.

Reactions: 9 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And there I was thinking cholesterol was produced in the liver, silly me. I think I'll stick to Malcolm Kendrick thanks.

As I understand it you only need to fast for lipids in respect of triglycerides which, surprise surprise, are mostly associated with carbohydrate consumption and processed food loaded with fructose. After 4 months of LCHF my trigs went down from 5.7 to 2.0.
Mine are 0.6 and I more or less live on butter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are also 0.6 and I live on cheese, butter and mayo, not to mention meat, eggs and bacon.

Double cream is my tipple of choice.

It's amazing how many creative ways you can shoehorn it into a meal, if you really put your mind to it.

I'm looking forward to my next cholesterol test. :happy:

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine are also 0.6 and I live on cheese, butter and mayo, not to mention meat, eggs and bacon.
I'm getting my test results this week, they started over 2 and were last 1.2 ish ..I'm hoping for under 1 and eventually join the 0.6 mob, either that or I'm putting you both on ignore so I don't have to be reminded of my high trigs :)

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm getting my test results this week, they started over 2 and were last 1.2 ish ..I'm hoping for under 1 and eventually join the 0.6 mob, either that or I'm putting you both on ignore so I don't have to be reminded of my high trigs :)

:hilarious:

I have my next test early December and am wondering if mine will be the same after increasing my fat consumption during the period since my last test. It will be interesting.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only good trigs but LDL lowest ever at 3.3 (2-5.3) and HDL at 2.2. Typical LCHF readings or so I am told.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My trigs always been 0.3 to max of 0.6.
I too due to have tests done Dec/Jan and will be interested what my trigs etc will be after introducing more cream and coconut oil, n more nuts etc to my diet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My last Trigs result was 0.5, I don't follow a LCHF diet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

annelise

I was a teenager in the 1970's and loved it so much :-D such happy times. We moved to Hampshire when I was 10 from London and with the open spaces, riding our bikes, roller skating, climbing trees, etc oh happy days. I'm not saying it was ALL 100 % because life, in general, isn't all a chocolate box experience, but still such wonderful memories for me.
I always hated butter, it used to be spread on so thick, as it was normally as hard as a brick and such a strong flavour too, :yuck: But my parents were butter eater's, especially Anchor butter.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
My last Trigs result was 0.5, I don't follow a LCHF diet.

i dont think the point was that low fat raises your trigs, more that eating fat dosent make them rise, it isnt an attack on other ways of eating, more a defense of eating fat