I'm Bored with Diabetes !

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm bored with being diabetic - I want a 'normal' lifestyle back - one where I can go out with family or friends for a meal and not have to think about what I can eat but about what I want to eat.!

There are some foods that I miss so much it almost hurts - pasta, rice, fruit (especially bananas), the odd biscuit or piece of cake to name just a few. But all of these spike my blood sugars too much to have anything but the smallest of portions as a (very) rare treat. AND, don't mention chocolate - it's been so long since I've had even a mouthful :(

So far I've been able to keep my BS under control solely with diet and exercise (BS's 5-7 and I've lost 2st in weight) but I'm now seriously thinking of asking my GP for medication so that I can 'enjoy' Christmas.

It hasn't helped that I've had the flu, a cold and a tooth abscess one after the other all in the space of the last three weeks which has resulted in my BS's being much higher than usual and restricted my diet even more:(

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand there are times when you feel like this and wish everything was normal, but that is how it is, put in very simple and straight words, we need to eat to live not live to eat.
I have an odd day when I do feed myself some carbs but I was never a person who liked sweets so dont miss them but yes I was a massive fruits person and used to munch on 2 to 3 bananas 4 apples 4 oranges all in a day but thats all out of the window now but I do have strawberries and other berries as a treat.

Hang in there, we gotta live for people around us dont we. I got a small kid and I want to live for as long as I can.
As far as christmas is concerned Enjoy responsibly :)
All the best.

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Susieq67, first of all well done for what you have achieved.
The flu, cold and a tooth abscess has probably knocked you for six. At least you won't be going through that at Christmas.
Might be worth a visit to the Doctor just to ensure all is fine and if be medication may be necessary.
I do not believe we should think medication is a crime.
Just do what you think is best to make you content. and happy.
Best of luck and enjoy Christmas.
smiley-face-with-santa-hat-emoticon.gif

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going on medication is not a crime certainly but you should bare in mind that if you go on an oral medication like metformin, you will still have to keep a tight control over carbs.

Only if you go on insulin will you be able to be more free with the amount of carbs you take as you will be able to take a higher dose of insulin to compensate.

To me it seems that just taking the risk of hypos into account and the likelihood of weight gain from insulin, going on insulin if you can manage without it is not worth the trouble.

I suspect your going through a bad phase and you will soon be your normal self again and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Take care of yourself

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for you, flu, cold or abscess by itself is enough to make me want to comfort eat, let alone having them straight after one another.

Have you ever tried baking your own cakes. There are some wonderful recipies for different cakes including chocolate ones that don't need to spike your sugar levels. I did some chocolate cakes made with ground almonds and stevia instead of flour and sugar topped with a mix of dark chocolate and cream, very few carbs each and offered them to my non diabetic parents when they came around and you should have seen them vanish.

Being diabetic doesn't mean that we can't have the odd treat we just have to be a bit more inventive.

Reactions: 3 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
I felt like this when I was first told,but you have had the extra pressure of being unwell with flu ect,I like the idea of making some chocolate cakes they sound yummy I am not to worried on missing out on foods mine is the fizzy drinks.
I hope you start to feel better soon.Take Care Andrea.

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel for you, flu, cold or abscess by itself is enough to make me want to comfort eat, let alone having them straight after one another.

Have you ever tried baking your own cakes. There are some wonderful recipies for different cakes including chocolate ones that don't need to spike your sugar levels. I did some chocolate cakes made with ground almonds and stevia instead of flour and sugar topped with a mix of dark chocolate and cream, very few carbs each and offered them to my non diabetic parents when they came around and you should have seen them vanish.

Being diabetic doesn't mean that we can't have the odd treat we just have to be a bit more inventive.
Ruth those cakes sound yummy - could you post the recipe please ?

I'm not much of a baker, but my sister is :) In fact you could use my cakes as doorstops and I'm told that my pastry is very good for soling shoes:wideyed:

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I dont want to minimalise diabetes as its a pest and we all get down at times,but we can do somthing about it unlike some other illnesses which we cant control.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chocolate cakes
(Makes 12)

Ingredients (the original was American and I have learnt to use cups)
2 cups of ground almonds (I prefer 1 cup almonds and 1 cup plain flour as I can manage a bit of flour and the gluten helps bind it)
2 teasp baking powder
1/4 teasp salt
1/3 (or in my case I prefer 1/2) cup of stevia (Canderel green)
2 tablesp cocoa powder
1/2 cup of butter
4 eggs
1/3 cup water

Topping
1/4 cup double cream
100g dark (85 or 70%) dark chocolate (I like 50g of each)
a dollop of butter (about an oz)

Preheat the oven to 350F, 180C or gas mark 4
Place 12 bun cases in a bun tin

Mix dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly (an electric mixer really helps here)
Place a good spoonful of the mix in each case, so they are about 2/3 full.
Cook for about 15 minutes

Let cool.

Break the chocolate into small pieces

Pour the cream into a small pan. Heat until just boiling remove from heat. Slowly add the chocolate stirring continuously until all the chocolate has melted into the cream, you might need to re heat it a bit as you go. Add the butter and beat well as it helps smooth the mix out. Pour a good teaspoon full over each of the cakes, keep topping up until you run out of topping.

As you can probably tell the recipy is a bit of an amalgamation of several and a bit of experiment. The original only used almonds and no flour and did not contain the cocoa or any topping and according to that it is 1.5g effective carbs per bun. Using half and half flour and almonds ups the carbs quite a bit but I find it give a bit better texture and 1 bun doesn't effect my levels too much. The topping adds about 2 grams of carbs but adds a really rich and very chocolaty hit to them.

Instead of cocoa, blueberries or sugar free apricot jam are recommended as alternative flavourings.

Think I have remembered everything, hope you enjoy.

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you very much - it's my birthday next month and my sister's been fussing what cake she could make me :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I'm bored with being diabetic - I want a 'normal' lifestyle back - one where I can go out with family or friends for a meal and not have to think about what I can eat but about what I want to eat.!

There are some foods that I miss so much it almost hurts - pasta, rice, fruit (especially bananas), the odd biscuit or piece of cake to name just a few. But all of these spike my blood sugars too much to have anything but the smallest of portions as a (very) rare treat. AND, don't mention chocolate - it's been so long since I've had even a mouthful :(

So far I've been able to keep my BS under control solely with diet and exercise (BS's 5-7 and I've lost 2st in weight) but I'm now seriously thinking of asking my GP for medication so that I can 'enjoy' Christmas.

It hasn't helped that I've had the flu, a cold and a tooth abscess one after the other all in the space of the last three weeks which has resulted in my BS's being much higher than usual and restricted my diet even more:(
I'm bored too lol

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you very much - it's my birthday next month and my sister's been fussing what cake she could make me :)
Hi, I guess it really depends whether you're having a bad week or it's something that's been there for a while..if you are BG maxed out on carb intake with 30g..you may need a bit of carb head room to work with.
as @izzzi suggested, meds aren't the end of the world. Statistically 50% of T2 will be on insulin within 10 yrs of diagnosis.
If your weight is ok, I don't have a reason why you can't eat a 'sensible' diet you want, as long as it maintains a good weight.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts

Well if you've done all that without meds well done. i sort of get where you are coming from. i've always liked my food, all sorts of it. But now the feeling of being healthy and well is sweeter than any food could ever make me feel. whatver you decide to do i hope you can enjoy bits of your fave foods as a treat, with or without meds, but MOST importantly safely and without an impact on your health. As the real SUZIE Q would have said CAN THE CAN!!

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Susieq67,
I feel your pain! I've been at this now for just over a year. Diet controlled, and most of the time lowish carb comes as pretty much second nature. But just occasionally there are times it's just too much. I'm going through a tough time at work at the moment, and yesterday I ended up in tears in the chilled deserts aisle at the supermarket because there wasn't a single nice thing there that I could eat to cheer myself up :-(
However, now back on an even keel again. Have you discovered Aldi Moser Roth chocolate yet? The very dark stuff is pretty yum and comes in individual 25g bars with pretty low carbs. And it's not too expensive.
Keep on hanging in there, the low feelings will pass.
Sue

K

Kat100

Take meds if needed ....and make the cake ..what a great suggestion ...make them you will feel so much better x

K

Kat100

Dear Susieq67,
I feel your pain! I've been at this now for just over a year. Diet controlled, and most of the time lowish carb comes as pretty much second nature. But just occasionally there are times it's just too much. I'm going through a tough time at work at the moment, and yesterday I ended up in tears in the chilled deserts aisle at the supermarket because there wasn't a single nice thing there that I could eat to cheer myself up :-(
However, now back on an even keel again. Have you discovered Aldi Moser Roth chocolate yet? The very dark stuff is pretty yum and comes in individual 25g bars with pretty low carbs. And it's not too expensive.
Keep on hanging in there, the low feelings will pass.
Sue
yes agree with the chocolate , every little thing helps

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Guys - your support does help :)

Seem to be over the various infections now so hope to be back on an even keel soon !

@Kat100 - scared of trying even the smallest amount of chocolate as I know once I start I won't be able to stop; 1 square becomes 2, 2 becomes 3 and before you know it I'll have eaten the whole bar - far safer for me not to start :rolleyes: In fact giving up chocolate is the one thing I'm most proud of :happy:

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts

Seem to be over the various infections now so hope to be back on an even keel soon !

@Kat100 - scared of trying even the smallest amount of chocolate as I know once I start I won't be able to stop; 1 square becomes 2, 2 becomes 3 and before you know it I'll have eaten the whole bar - far safer for me not to start :rolleyes: In fact giving up chocolate is the one thing I'm most proud of :happy:
Well done. I went cold turkey on Chocolate as soon as I was diagnosed. I realise it as one of best things I did. Good Luck for the future.

K

Kat100

Very nice to feel proud ....well done ...I never used to eat chocolate , now I need that little bit now and again ...all very strange this diet :cool: