Restrictions

Sara15type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fifteen, been type one since I was seven so I've had it for eight years. When being diagnosed all the doctors and nurses said my diabetes would never keep me from doing something I wanted to. I'm not talking about the finger pricks, the shots, the constant checking; granted all very annoying. But I'm talking about a significant part of my life. Before I didn't know what I wanted to do, my diabetes was a simple obstacle. Now I view it as my absolute worst enemy. Because of this I can not join any of the armed forces, navy, or any part of the military. I want to do this so bad I feel sick when I know I can't. What people said didn't used to bother me, now I'm sensitive to everything people say. A navy officer visited our class and was talking about what you need to become an officer, I meet all the requirements, that's the worst part, if I didn't have this, I could become a naval officer... But I can never be that. No one understands, not my friends nor my family; I don't know anyone with diabetes in my school. It wouldn't be so bad if a cure was soon. But since I was diagnosed word of a cure would come but then nothing silence. Every time getting my hopes up. When they say something about a cure , it doesn't phase me, I don't want to get hurt anymore, I don't want to cry again because I have to live with this; I don't want the silly hopes of a cure because for eight years I've seen countless cures, hundreds of foundations collecting millions of dollars to find a cure... But there is no cure. I'm damaged goods and I and everyone else with this has to deal with it

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
For 15 years of age, I'm astounded you could write such a deep and profound message ... and please don't think I'm patronising you as I'm not. Remarkable maturity :)

Whatever you do (and yes, I was 15 once) set your goals and set about achieving them. If your career path doesn't work out the way you wish, I'm certain you have other talents you could pursue. THAT comes out loud and REALLY clear.

Take care

Mike

Sara15type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you mike, usually I'm not so depressive, it's just I couldn't say this to anyone that's not diabetic, they wouldn't understand. And definitely

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you sound like a bright young woman, you have just had your dreams crushed and it's going to hurt.
it's going to take a bit of time for a new goal to replace it.

I think you have the right idea about a 'cure' ..live your life now, as is. don't wait for a 'cure' it will happen when it happens and who really knows? There is a lot of promising stuff around the corner.

Sara15type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True, it's just hard sometimes, a person without the disease will never know anything about what you are feeling, and not very many people in my town have type one. Thank you for your input :) I'll hopefully find something new to distract me :)

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
True, it's just hard sometimes, a person without the disease will never know anything about what you are feeling, and not very many people in my town have type one. Thank you for your input :) I'll hopefully find something new to distract me :)

There's a heap of people here with an ear ready to listen. :) ... and you're more than welcome

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at 15, your bloods are about to keep you distracted...., what worked last week, won't work next week and nothing works this week :)
just remember the numbers on the meter are not a pass or fail, it's just to help adjust your insulin

Reactions: 2 people

moz1

A lot of my friends wanted to join armed forces when leaving school. One really wanted to join the paras and we all thought he would get in easy as he was a boxer and extremely fit. It turned out however that he failed medical due to some heart problem and he never got his dream job! He instead went to college and is now a sales director so what really saying is keep your options open! Chin up x

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Sara, even though it's not the navy, have you considered the police force, fire fighter or a paramedic? All these are open to people with type 1 diabetes these days :)
I can sympathise re the cure though as have been told for the last 50 years there will be a cure in 5 years. I'm still waiting just like everyone else.
You come across as a very mature well balanced young lady so even though very disappointed with not being able to join up look at things in a different light...... What can you do? I'm not 100% sure on this but believe you can even hold a pilots licence now to fly commercial aircraft, so if you are interested in that side of things start looking make sure you have very good control and prove to everyone what you can do instead of what you can not do.
My very best wishes to you. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sara,

That's rough that you feel that way, but with time you're goals will change as you learn new things. You've got so much a head of you, keep your mind open and everything will be ok :)

Think about why you wanted to join the armed forces - is it because you want to serve your country or because you want to travel and seek adventure and chaos? or something else?

If you can figure out the deep down, core, reason to why you want to do it so badly, i guarantee you that you will be able to find other positions that would let you do that same thing.

Police officer, emergency response team member, high class security detail, Sky dive instructor, commercial/private pilot, stunt driver? perhaps if you study engineering you would be able to work of a military defense contractor and design the planes, weapons and machinery used in the armed forces?

There a lots of ways to have a adventurous and exciting job, and lots of ways to serve your county (or move to a country who will take you lol) Just figure out what it is that makes you want this so badly, and i'll bet you can find another path to achieving that goal.

Reactions: 7 people