Troubles with LCHF

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the setting on the lancet pen to be too high at 5 and made it very painful, often leaving me with a physical bruise. I now use a setting of 3.5 and stings only a tiny bit, after testing I give a quick rub and it is gone. I have to say the lancet that comes with the GlucoRx Nexus is quite vicious compared to that of the Codefree, which is now my preferred one. Hope this helps and please listen to everyone, and test, test and test some more.:D

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18, you feel fine because you have not tasted and seen the spikes. Its like burying your head in the sand and thinks you are fine. If you eat like that (nobody's stopping you) do not get a shock at next HbA1c. Also it is progressive unless you reduce your carbs. There is a thread by Kaveman (not sure the name now), you will know what kind of diabetic complications out there. Read it 'finger pricking' - i will say anytime.
Low carbs is not no carbs, find your limits by testing all your food, you will get use to it, I actually enjoy my food now, if i eat more than normal (i go for a walk to bring BS down). Get you family behind you too, it will help.

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

@kman. Read his story on this forum Terminal and scared and then post that again. Yes I could eat like you posted and the worst of diabetes is no you may feel fine. But a very few years of eating whatever you want...and No Testing means you never see the awful high levels of sugar in your blood..damaging your sight ( blindness) circulation and nerve damage leading to neuropathy. Terrible pain and amputation ( trust me it doesn't take long). I'm a theatre sister and I've seen all this and more in my theatre..please don't take this lightly. An amputation will hurt far more than a tiny pinprick of a finger...I see young children who would put us to shame happily at 6 years old testing bg on their own. Its your choice yes but please reconsider while there is still time

Reactions: 6 people

alliebee

Really?? That is strange as when I drink a can of it for one day a week it does not affect me. But tbh i rarely test my blood sugars and I feel great, like yesterday I had 4 toasted slices of Warburtons Fruit Loaf with Orange for breakfast, then for lunch another four slices of the fruit loaf not toasted and for dinner a pre-made cheese salad bap. I never tested throughout yesterday as the pain i get from finger pricking is unbearable and I felt fine :)
I had to read this three times before honestly taking it in...." I feel fine"??? I'm speechless. Honestly.

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without being nasty, I think it's cases like this that feed our healthcare providers the " diabetes is always progressive " line. I'm sure I felt fine eating a bacon sandwich, jacket spud and beans and fish and chips until the day that I didn't feel quite so fine. Without testing you can't control this disease- if we show our health care providers that we are proactive and willing to make changes then not only will our futures be better, but we may encourage a seachange in type 2 care. Alternatively. don't test. eat carbs till they are coming out of your ears and die way before your time. The choice is yours.

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree. @akindrat18 All those carbs are not doing you any good and they are not helping you lose weight. I have at least 5 stones left to lose and am fighting to lose every pound, but I am doing it so I feel good in the future. My feeling is you haven't cut down on carbs enough so you are still craving them. The more you have the more you want. I am currently having less than 30g carbs daily (today it was 22g) . I feel great and my 1 hour reading after my evening meal was 6.8 ( can't tell you 2 hour yet!) I am also not hungry at all and therefore not tempted to buy/eat carbs. I'm not going to lecture you anymore. My feeling is there is something stopping you from going any further with this. I had that problem too and am having counselling for it. I don't feel you will progress further unless you deal with the issues that made you put on weight in the first place. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are the only one who can do this for yourself. Do you want it badly enough? Or are you happy to have that gastric band? It really is up to you. I'll leave this thread now, all the best.

Reactions: 10 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have urine testing strips perchance Akindrat? They will only pick up elevated levels, and give indicative levels by the colour they change to, but I'd be curious to know how you score after that little lot.

Have you given up on low carb?

I do not have urine test strips and I have not given up on low carb, I just can't get on the band wagon yet.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the setting on the lancet pen to be too high at 5 and made it very painful, often leaving me with a physical bruise. I now use a setting of 3.5 and stings only a tiny bit, after testing I give a quick rub and it is gone. I have to say the lancet that comes with the GlucoRx Nexus is quite vicious compared to that of the Codefree, which is now my preferred one. Hope this helps and please listen to everyone, and test, test and test some more.:D

On my true result lancet pen I had it too high at 5 and when I checked the lancet it was blunt.

Without being nasty, I think it's cases like this that feed our healthcare providers the " diabetes is always progressive " line. I'm sure I felt fine eating a bacon sandwich, jacket spud and beans and fish and chips until the day that I didn't feel quite so fine. Without testing you can't control this disease- if we show our health care providers that we are proactive and willing to make changes then not only will our futures be better, but we may encourage a seachange in type 2 care. Alternatively. don't test. eat carbs till they are coming out of your ears and die way before your time. The choice is yours.

Yes I agree. @akindrat18 All those carbs are not doing you any good and they are not helping you lose weight. I have at least 5 stones left to lose and am fighting to lose every pound, but I am doing it so I feel good in the future. My feeling is you haven't cut down on carbs enough so you are still craving them. The more you have the more you want. I am currently having less than 30g carbs daily (today it was 22g) . I feel great and my 1 hour reading after my evening meal was 6.8 ( can't tell you 2 hour yet!) I am also not hungry at all and therefore not tempted to buy/eat carbs. I'm not going to lecture you anymore. My feeling is there is something stopping you from going any further with this. I had that problem too and am having counselling for it. I don't feel you will progress further unless you deal with the issues that made you put on weight in the first place. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are the only one who can do this for yourself. Do you want it badly enough? Or are you happy to have that gastric band? It really is up to you. I'll leave this thread now, all the best.

I really want to change my eating ways as I need to lost at least 75kg to be at normal weight as I weigh 151.5kg. I am seeking help from the livewell programme in Derby and was recently asked to provide a food diary for a week and it contained mainly carbs. I have also joined counselling for an eating disorder charity and volunteer their as well as I like to binge and have done so again tonight by having 2 bowls of crunchy nut which I regret having now.

Going to the counselling for the first time was scary and I have been told by the counsellor that I have a binge eating problem as well as emotional eating problems. Also i have too much free time, which could be useful for me to start a blog that could help and my nan who has been so supportive told me that I should go ahead with it and even asked me what I would want to eat at hers for new year's eve as my family always go to her house for the fireworks.

I want to change my diet and I will do, as I have already curbed my diet coke addiction and now only have half a pint of it each week. As for the blog I was thinking of setting it up on the forum next Monday so that I can track my progress as I really like the support of everyone on here.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On my true result lancet pen I had it too high at 5 and when I checked the lancet it was blunt.

I really want to change my eating ways as I need to lost at least 75kg to be at normal weight as I weigh 151.5kg. I am seeking help from the livewell programme in Derby and was recently asked to provide a food diary for a week and it contained mainly carbs. I have also joined counselling for an eating disorder charity and volunteer their as well as I like to binge and have done so again tonight by having 2 bowls of crunchy nut which I regret having now.

Going to the counselling for the first time was scary and I have been told by the counsellor that I have a binge eating problem as well as emotional eating problems. Also i have too much free time, which could be useful for me to start a blog that could help and my nan who has been so supportive told me that I should go ahead with it and even asked me what I would want to eat at hers for new year's eve as my family always go to her house for the fireworks.

I want to change my diet and I will do, as I have already curbed my diet coke addiction and now only have half a pint of it each week. As for the blog I was thinking of setting it up on the forum next Monday so that I can track my progress as I really like the support of everyone on here.

before you think it's "all" in your head, which may be a part of it...check out for a week if you're carb addicted, cut out all carbs except nonstarch veg....we are genetically programmed to eat carbs in autumn when they are around, to lay down some fat for winter
first 3 days suck, how bad is how addicted
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

the second thing is insulin resistance and high BG, the cells cant get the 'sugar' into them and the body thinks it's starving and wants you to eat more..meanwhile your liver is working overtime to turn the excess 'sugar' into fat to get rid of it

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 You will get lots of help from the livewell programme, they can also pull strings to ensure you get professional help with regard to your so called binge eating.
They may recommend different diets etc; which will be approved by your Doctor.
I wish you all the best during your time with their programme.
You are on the band wagon (this Forum) it is just that your steering wheel is pulling a little off line.
You are making many efforts to sort things out and I wish you all the best.
I like the Livewell programme idea as it is also local to you. please ensure you keep us up-to-date how it is working out.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The livewell program should be very helpful.
I got excellent advice from my local equivalent, and so far have lost 5 stones, reduced my meds, and got my BG into the normal range.
However I didn't go for LCHF, as I didn't get on with it, so don't worry if you get different advice, so long as it's a diet that suits you, and one you can manage.
There is no point forcing yourself to do something that doesn't suit you.
So, maybe try to do it in stages, get used to some healthy changes, then build on them, and after you have changed your eating habits, you will lose weight, you can exercise more, maybe then you can really try LCHF if that's the way you want to go.

But, any change is good, so do one change, then build on it.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Really?? That is strange as when I drink a can of it for one day a week it does not affect me. But tbh i rarely test my blood sugars and I feel great, like yesterday I had 4 toasted slices of Warburtons Fruit Loaf with Orange for breakfast, then for lunch another four slices of the fruit loaf not toasted and for dinner a pre-made cheese salad bap. I never tested throughout yesterday as the pain i get from finger pricking is unbearable and I felt fine :)

I'm very happy to help people with genuine problems who are looking for help; but this sounds to me almost too ridiculous to take seriously.

@akindrat18 If you are genuine then you need to stop all the chaos of your eating and simplify everything. What type of diabetic are you? What medications are you on? If you are Type 1 what type of insulin do you take and how much and when. You are on the low-carb thread so you are in the right place but if you want to achieve anything then you've got to apply a bit of willpower. "Finger pricking is unbearable" - really? Really? Sort your head out.

Best

Dillinger

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dillinger That is why @akindrat18 joined the Forum.
When things become to hot to handle all the more reason to take on board and try our upmost to help.
The fear of Finger pricking (unbearable) may be one of the simple reasons that avoids Akindrat18's to monitor and help with his control.
Akindrat18's has recently told us that he seeking help from the livewell programme and he is also receiving counselling with regard to sorting things out.
I do agree in what you say. however it seems little bit like the school teacher getting inpatient at the pupil not realizing the true problem.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I said I was leaving the thread but....

@izzzi Yes akindrat joined this forum for help. That was 2 years ago. He has had lots of good advice and encouragement in that time. Now is the time for him to identify and push through whatever barriers are stopping him.

When my youngest son was 4, I took him for his pre-school injections. I let him get through the doctor's tests first and then when we were waiting to see the nurse I explained that he was going to have an injection now so that he was all ready for school and so the nasty bugs wouldn't hurt him. He said "Will it hurt?" And I said "Yes, but not for long". He was fine, did as he was told and didn't even say "ow". I'm sorry I really don't see the problem with finger pricking, I do see a problem with losing a leg though. akindrat is now facing possible bariatric surgery or finger pricking. Which do you think my son would have chosen at 4 years old?

Yes, I've got my coat.

edit: I realise what I have may seem harsh, but I don't believe the 'there, there, here's a virtual hug to cheer you up' approach will do akindrat18 any good. It's the truth that sets people free.

Last edited by a moderator:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very happy to help people with genuine problems who are looking for help; but this sounds to me almost too ridiculous to take seriously.

@akindrat18 If you are genuine then you need to stop all the chaos of your eating and simplify everything. What type of diabetic are you? What medications are you on? If you are Type 1 what type of insulin do you take and how much and when. You are on the low-carb thread so you are in the right place but if you want to achieve anything then you've got to apply a bit of willpower. "Finger pricking is unbearable" - really? Really? Sort your head out.

Best

Dillinger

Dillinger, I am a Type 2 Diabetic and got first diagnosis in October 2012 when I was 19 and just starting my first year at University of Derby. I should have been diagnosed much earlier, but due to the fact that my GP in Stoke-on-Trent was pretty much unhelpful I experienced Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome. I am currently taking lixisenatide 20mg once daily, gliclazides 80 mg twice daily, metformin 1000mg twice daily and ramipril 10mg once daily.

@izzzi Yes akindrat joined this forum for help. That was 2 years ago. He has had lots of good advice and encouragement in that time. Now is the time for him to identify and push through whatever barriers are stopping him.

When my youngest son was 4, I took him for his pre-school injections. I let him get through the doctor's tests first and then when we were waiting to see the nurse I explained that he was going to have an injection now so that he was all ready for school and so the nasty bugs wouldn't hurt him. He said "Will it hurt?" And I said "Yes, but not for long". He was fine, did as he was told and didn't even say "ow". I'm sorry I really don't see the problem with finger pricking, I do see a problem with losing a leg though. akindrat is now facing possible bariatric surgery or finger pricking. Which do you think my son would have chosen at 4 years old?

Yes, I've got my coat.

edit: I realise what I have may seem harsh, but I don't believe the 'there, there, here's a virtual hug to cheer you up' approach will do akindrat18 any good. It's the truth that sets people free.

What is preventing me from breaking down the barriers, all comes down to the first three years of high school when I got bullied several times a days which happened when I had to start wearing glasses. I got bullied a lot and I also had a paper job which gave me £15 per week and all I did with it was buy junk food and would leave for school much earlier so that I could go into the shops and buy biscuits, cakes etc. I even stole from a shop once or twice until I got caught and even stole from my parents money saving bottle jar. By the time I entered my fourth year I applied to be a prefect and was one which helped change my social status and 2009 was the best year of my life as i was with the cool kids, going out to gigs etc. but i was already at 18 stone.

I would pick finger pricking over bariatic surgery and with seeing the news in my town Stoke through their online newspaper, ithe headlines are obesity, weight loss surgery, diabetes. And these articles are just from the past week alone.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Offe...eople-tackle/story-24779402-detail/story.html
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Obes...irect-action/story-24643077-detail/story.html
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/TV-f...-Stoke-Trent/story-24594216-detail/story.html

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I've got my coat.

@zand your are absolutely right as is Dillinger.
Dillinger did mention the fact that we did not even know what type of diabetes he was or which medication he was on if any. That information may help when giving advice.
I also think your explanation is perfect regarding Finger Pricking and Leg Removal.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is preventing me from breaking down the barriers, all comes down to the first three years of high school when I got bullied several times a days which happened when I had to start wearing glasses. I got bullied a lot and I also had a paper job which gave me £15 per week and all I did with it was buy junk food and would leave for school much earlier so that I could go into the shops and buy biscuits, cakes etc. I even stole from a shop once or twice until I got caught and even stole from my parents money saving bottle jar. By the time I entered my fourth year I applied to be a prefect and was one which helped change my social status and 2009 was the best year of my life as i was with the cool kids, going out to gigs etc. but i was already at 18 stone.

I would pick finger pricking over bariatic surgery and with seeing the news in my town Stoke through their online newspaper, ithe headlines are obesity, weight loss surgery, diabetes. And these articles are just from the past week alone.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Offe...eople-tackle/story-24779402-detail/story.html
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Obes...irect-action/story-24643077-detail/story.html
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/TV-funnyman-Russell-Howard-criticises-Stoke-Trent/story-24594216-detail/story.html

Brilliant. That's the akindrat I have come to know and like over the past few months! Well done. So you are having counselling which will help you. You already know why you put on weight and you accept that. Brilliant. Now you can move forward and do something about it. I am saddened by your story but not at all surprised by it. No need to keep punishing yourself (it isn't really comfort eating because it is harming you). Those bullies punished you and you didn't deserve it, I would think of them every time you are tempted to eat the wrong thing. I have the names of people who have upset me on my fridge and food cupboards to remind me that I will overcome the harm they have done to me. This might not work for you, but it keeps me determined. I also have a picture of something that reminds me of one of them on my wallet so I am not tempted to buy the wrong things when I am out. Don't let them win, they are still hurting you and that is wrong. You need to love and accept yourself and become your real self in your new slimmer body. You can do this. This is so exciting.

OK the carbs. Don't focus on what you can't have. Focus on the foods you like and love which are not carbs. I know for a student this can be expensive, but in the summer you were saying you had some money you could put to good use by buying healthy food? I find it's the carbs that make you feel hungry, it's so much easier when you manage to gradually cut down on them.

I do understand how difficult this is. I too had a reason to 'hang on' to my weight and hide behind it I have been trying to lose weight since April and have only managed to lose 2 stones 6 pounds so far, but boy do I feel better for it! Don't focus on the whole amount you have to lose, you will start to feel and look better way before you get to your ultimate target.

A good friend has told me many times that I look for 'reasons to fail' - I think you do too. Those reasons? They are all fake! You can overcome them all, honestly, just put one foot in front of the other and you will be making progress before you know it.

Like I said this is exciting. I'm there with you again (if you want me!). I really want you to succeed. Please do. :)

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being bullied at school must have been traumatic but it was Imani years ago and in the intervening years it sounds like you did well for yourself even managing to get in with the cool kids by your own admission, get yourself elected prefect and get yourself accepted at university.

I believe you must be past that experience by now. You have demonstrated to yourself that you can achieve something when you set your mind to it.

The only twin bullies you now face, and these time they can do much more serious damage to you, are your obesity and your diabetes.

I am glad that you are seeking counseling to help you deal with the former, which hopefully should also help with the latter.

Although still too young to have been diagnosed t2, you are not a child any more and as an adult you have to make decisions accordingly. So you need to man up and test your bloods, fear of pin pricks or no fear of pin pricks, and you need to stop your binge eating.

If you do not do this you may find that your dilemmas may get increasingly more difficult or choices taken away from you altogether, as diabetic complications set in.

I would hate to see that happen to someone so young!

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn I needed counselling to help me get over my trauma, sometimes it just goes so deep we don't know it is still there controlling us. It isn't always something you can get past, despite seeming to outwardly, deep down it is still there and I needed help to understand this and recover from it. I don't believe akindrat's problem is simply lack of willpower I believe his weight is a coping mechanism, he has invested a lot in it, it is hard to let it go. It is scary even though it's something you really want to do. I've been there. My weight loss stopped at the end of the Summer because there was something 'blocking it'., I am hoping that now I will start to lose again.

The thing is akindrat18, it's a lot harder to binge eat when you're having only 30-50 g carbs a day. :)

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dillinger, I am a Type 2 Diabetic and got first diagnosis in October 2012 when I was 19 and just starting my first year at University of Derby. I should have been diagnosed much earlier, but due to the fact that my GP in Stoke-on-Trent was pretty much unhelpful I experienced Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome. I am currently taking lixisenatide 20mg once daily, gliclazides 80 mg twice daily, metformin 1000mg twice daily and ramipril 10mg once daily.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/TV-f...-Stoke-Trent/story-24594216-detail/story.html

bariatric surgery isn't a magic wand. It has 20-25% of people that after an initial loss then put on weight again, I would look at the Newcastle diet. It aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% diabetic remission, for surgery T2
After the surgery, you can't eat and then fluid food is introduced, this diet does the same, without the surgery
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
“It is now clear that Type 2 diabetes is caused by abnormal fat storage. Research on how this may be reversed is available. “
lectures
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
https://campus.recap.ncl.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Embed.aspx?id=c3bef819-e5f4-4a55-876f-0a23436988ed&v=1
upload_2014-11-28_2-43-28.png