Eye Screening

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, April 2013 I had one cataract removed, knew my annual eye screening was due around November time, but no appointment came through. Phoned to find out when next clinic was at my local health centre to be told I'm no longer on the list for eye screening as I was now under the Eye Hospital, after lots of back and forth, finally was screened, thankfully everything ok.

Right, 2014, had second cataract op, and once again no appointment for my eye screening at my local health centre, this time op was done at a private clinic on the NHS, they are now saying I'm not even on the NHS listing for eye screening. Private clinic are saying they've discharged me, which they have, NHS say I'm still on the private clinics books so they have to do it.

I've been insulin dependant for 42 years and never missed my appointment, any suggestions what I do next??

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, April 2013 I had one cataract removed, knew my annual eye screening was due around November time, but no appointment came through. Phoned to find out when next clinic was at my local health centre to be told I'm no longer on the list for eye screening as I was now under the Eye Hospital, after lots of back and forth, finally was screened, thankfully everything ok.

Right, 2014, had second cataract op, and once again no appointment for my eye screening at my local health centre, this time op was done at a private clinic on the NHS, they are now saying I'm not even on the NHS listing for eye screening. Private clinic are saying they've discharged me, which they have, NHS say I'm still on the private clinics books so they have to do it.

I've been insulin dependant for 42 years and never missed my appointment, any suggestions what I do next??
First things first. You have had both lens replaced. This is what happens in cataract operations. You have had this done on The nhs in a private hospital.. Just like me. !!. You need to explain and perhaps go through your doctor, that you are under the appropriate nhs hospital or clinic. Seems to be a paperwork error but I could be wrong. ( it has been known)

Reactions: 2 people

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still fighting this out, NHS are saying I'm still under the care of the private hospital for my eyes, private hospital saying I've been discharged :mad: BOTh telling me to speak to the other to get it sorted. They complain when we don't turn up for our annual eye screening, I'm literally screaming out to them to get an appointment.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Who referred you to the private clinic under the NHS? They would be the ones to refer you for the screening, and this may be one where you have to turn up in person and demand to speak to the practice/clinic/etc manager to get a result.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your diabetic consultant should ensure you are on the nhs diabetic screening list... End of.. If he doesn't he is negigent.

Reactions: 3 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Still fighting this out, NHS are saying I'm still under the care of the private hospital for my eyes, private hospital saying I've been discharged :mad: BOTh telling me to speak to the other to get it sorted. They complain when we don't turn up for our annual eye screening, I'm literally screaming out to them to get an appointment.
I had the same when I had my cataracts done all I done was phoned the diabetic clinic (separate from eye dept) told them and as if by magic was back on the screening program, you've got a case of two different hospitals (normally depts) not communicating. Just humour them and phone your diabetes team.
Good Luck

Reactions: 3 people