Reduced carbs headaches

lely

Quick question anyone find the suffered with headaches when they started to eat reduced carb diet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Drink a lot, ( of water) increase your salt, (if you have no BP issues) and it should pass.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes your body can suffer various "withdrawal" symptoms for a short while, while it's adjusting to its new low carb regime. Do as Douglas says, and maybe ask Google about "low carb flu" or "Atkins flu".

Robbity

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, no headaches for me but dizzy spells so have increased my fluids and started adding salt to foods!

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Increase your salt intake. You excrete more on low carb and this can lead to headaches and feeling groggy.

J

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Increase your salt intake. You excrete more on low carb and this can lead to headaches and feeling groggy.

J

Water intake is vital, or you dehydrate more as you excrete the salt.

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that is a given and was just adding to what others have said as water alone may well not fix the problem. Most people do not have a problem with dehydration despite what many think. We tend to consume quite a bit of fluid in our western culture.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Salt intake needs to be balanced against BP considerations, and fluid intake and output. It's not quite as simple, and does require careful consideration not to increase the salt intake in excess of output.
Short term tends to balance out without any great worry, but overall, fluid intake should be high.
3L a day of water is a reasonable amount.

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But if you need for example 4g of salt per day on a typical western diet (ie high carb) and you suddenly excrete a lot more, you therefore need more than 4g thus you are not in excess and consequently blood pressure is not a concern.

I increased my salt intake on low carb diet and my BP has gone down. The point - increasing water intake will not relieve a low-sodium induced effect such as a headache.

It is well explained in Volek & Phinney's book. That link I posted was to illustrate the point, I'm not sure about any of his books.

lely

Wow. Was not expecting so much info, just yes or no answers. thanks guys.
Gotta love this forum.