Wrong diagnosis

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 34 and I found out two days ago that I was reassessed in 2012 and my diagnosis was changed from T2 to T1 diabetes whilst in hospital and not one of the doctors I was seeing told me about it. I was diagnosed in 2010 with T2 and was put on insulin injections after my hospital admission in 2012. But they 'forgot' to tell me that I'm actually type 1!

I am angry about not being told about my change in diagnosis. I am scared because I don't know much about the differences between the two types and how all this could affect me in the long term. Is there anything different I should be doing? I think I'm going to be shown about carb counting soon but right now I'm just injecting and guessing. I have so many questions and I'm starting to panic...

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi try not to panic I know it is hard for me to say,I am sure the type 1s will be able to give you lots of good information.Take Care Andrea.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To take the guess work out of your insulin dosing have a look at the following, it will help you until you get on a carb counting course such as DAFNE:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Also, for a good book on type 1 diabetes get yourself a copy of the book Think Like a Pancreas.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. With T1 you have to have insulin sooner or later as you pancreas will not be producing enough insulin. Once you understand carb counting, which is really very easy, you can have quite good control of your blood sugar. Just be sensible about the amount of carbs you have to avoid weight gain. With good blood sugar control you will avoid any long-term bad outcome, so apart from the nuisance of injecting there is little to worry about.