Diabetes and Bipolar

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm struggling to take control of my T1 diabetes and I am also bipolar, which affects so much of how I deal with my meds, insulin, my motivation to take care of myself and my relationship with food.

Is there anyone else out there in a similar position? I have a supportive husband but no-one to talk to who is going through the same things as me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry I'm type 2 so I can't help you. I'm 'bumping' your post so that others will see it though:) I hope someone else answers you soon.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Purplestar,

I am a Type 2 so will bump your post up again.

It must be difficult to manage both Bipolar and Type 1.

I expect when you are either manic or depressed then you do not pay attention to your diabetes and I can understand why.

Do you ever miss your meds because of how you are feeling? or do you have a routine so that regardless of your moods you take your meds?

Is your Endocrinologist any help? Does he liaise with your Psychiatrist? This might be a way forward for you as they could pool their knowledge and come up with something between them.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but am sending you (((((hugs))))).

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the help in bumping up my post! I have been through phases of not taking meds for both conditions, though I have always taken insulin with meals, I have often failed to take the longer lasting one in the evening. It's like I have a desire to self destruct that is hard to control. I am an intelligent adult who fully understand the seriousness and implications of both conditions, so I don't understand why I do it....

Yesterday I got a new app for my tablet to help with logging glucose levels and insulin injections and I sorted out my meds and I am trying to stick to a new regime. I hope this works...