snacks what do i do

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi im newly diagnosed and still finding everything overwhelming so could i please ask a question in on background insulin and novorapid at mealtimes so what do i do if i fancy a no or lo carb snack inbetween am i allowed a snack without taking insulin ive been fancying some pork scratching

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having some issues with snacking too...I'm on a similar insulin regime and I have been told not to snack in between meals unless having a hypo. Is this true? It's driving me crazy, I'm starving all the time and when I cave and eat something I don't know what to do about injecting more to compensate...what do other people do? It just makes my glucose levels skyrocket

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi im newly diagnosed and still finding everything overwhelming so could i please ask a question in on background insulin and novorapid at mealtimes so what do i do if i fancy a no or lo carb snack inbetween am i allowed a snack without taking insulin ive been fancying some pork scratching
Pork scratching is perfect. No carbs. Nuts are ok but some such as cashews are a little higher than others. Salted peanuts are ok but some makes are higher carbs than others. Same with peanut butter. Dips can be ok. As a rule of thumb, if it's around or below 5.5g per 100g total carbohydrates, it's ok. Don't get carried away!!. celery sticks are good for dipping. And cheese is excellent. Just a few to keep you going
sxmas_cookies_100-100.gif
Everything in moderation.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Commonsense applies on this. You can snack if you wish but avoid carbs and you don't need extra insulin unless you have too much. Just take acocunt of the carbs in the snack. Go for cheese, nuts etc. Pork scratchings sounds fine.

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Commonsense applies on this. You can snack if you wish but avoid carbs and you don't need extra insulin unless you have too much. Just take acocunt of the carbs in the snack. Go for cheese, nuts etc. Pork scratchings sounds fine.
thankyou everyone

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am having some issues with snacking too...I'm on a similar insulin regime and I have been told not to snack in between meals unless having a hypo. Is this true? It's driving me crazy, I'm starving all the time and when I cave and eat something I don't know what to do about injecting more to compensate...what do other people do? It just makes my glucose levels skyrocket

They don't really advise injecting between meals due to the stacking nature of the insulin doses (which can result in more hypo's), you could try and get away with eating some low-carb nuts/seeds or something like Babybels that might not raise your bg levels by too much, failing that try and eat enough with your main meals.

Reactions: 2 people