Foods that you thought would spike you surprisingly dont

S

Sable_Jan

@Sable_Jan - had a look at my jars and they are called crushed chillies. I have two jars, one is Schwartz and one is Sainsbury's own. They do appear to have some seeds, but I hadn't heard that you shouldn't eat pepper seeds.
Thanks Julie. Might get some then. Anthony Worrall etc says flakes in his recipes but may mean same as you have.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sable_Jan - had a look at my jars and they are called crushed chillies. I have two jars, one is Schwartz and one is Sainsbury's own. They do appear to have some seeds, but I hadn't heard that you shouldn't eat pepper seeds.
Of course you can eat the seeds! They can be very hot though.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very surprised indeed that oat porridge made from pin head oats and eaten with cream doesn't raise bg noticeably while rolled oats and milk adds 4 or 5 mml/L. I love oat porridge so am very happy to have found this out.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am very surprised indeed that oat porridge made from pin head oats and eaten with cream doesn't raise bg noticeably while rolled oats and milk adds 4 or 5 mml/L. I love oat porridge so am very happy to have found this out.

Oats that have been highly milled and refined have a higher gi value than those that haven't, so products such as Instant Oats (Ready Brek) are rated higher than those that are less processed such as Pinhead & Steel-Cut Oats, plus the fat content of the cream helps slow down the absorption of the carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oats that have been highly milled and refined have a gi value than those that haven't, so products such as Instant Oats (Ready Brek) are rated higher than those that are less processed such as Pinhead & Steel-Cut Oats, plus the fat content of the cream helps slow down the absorption of the carbs.
But it still the same amount of carbs.

I start with bacon and eggs, then porridge.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But it still the same amount of carbs.

It is, but low gi foods have less of an impact on bg levels, but given that you start off with bacon and eggs first the fat content of your breakfast will help to slow down the digestion of the carbs in the oats, that's why I add seeds and natural yogurt to my morning porridge.

S

Sable_Jan

First and main?

I'm not afraid of food. I eat a lot when I eat but I don't snack and I work hard.
Can't physically work hard but do eat biggish meals. Never a multi course breakfast tho ;) nor normally any other meal - last nites 3 course dinner almost as rare as hen's teeth :D and spread over couple of hrs

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I,ve been making mince pies last weekend & the ones I made with homemade mincemeat had very little effect on my BG but the idustrial ones raise it if I just sniff one, so I agree with the theory that shops tend to "fill" their products with cheap stuff to cover the fact that sometimes there not so good. Back to the kitchen for me- only two pies a day though :(

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

I,ve been making mince pies last weekend & the ones I made with homemade mincemeat had very little effect on my BG but the idustrial ones raise it if I just sniff one, so I agree with the theory that shops tend to "fill" their products with cheap stuff to cover the fact that sometimes there not so good. Back to the kitchen for me- only two pies a day though :(
Think the shop made ones also have sugar in the pastry as well as syrupy sweet mincemeat.....

alliebee

A chocolate eclair with fresh cream filling. Choux pastry is ok with me lol. Eaten as part of a meal fine...on its own a 2.0 spike...

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate you all.
sxmas_cookies_100-102.gif

Reactions: 6 people