Easter

Sheilabye

I don't know! :shock:
I am going through a rebellious /anger phase right now! :evil:
Easter Time is a nightmare for me!
I want to eat stuff that is high in sugar and obviously very bad for me :twisted: , I am fed up and miserable at the moment :( so far I have got away with keeping my b.s levels at around 8.5 at the highest.
I moaned about getting a diabetic egg from Thorntons and didn't get one...so I am sulking in a babyish way at the moment.
How do you cope with these feelings Guys? :?
By the way thanks for the advice on my previous post.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya sheila,
i try not to eat chocolate but if im totally craving i may have a bit of normal chocolate,but then this is sooo hard as it takes tremendous willpower not to eat more :( it is hard, my kids have been eating eggs and my mouth has been watering lol :D a very small amount wont hurt you

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sheilabye said:
II moaned about getting a diabetic egg from Thorntons and didn't get one...so I am sulking in a babyish way at the moment.

Sheila.
Unless you have a penchant for sitting in the loo and doing the Times Crossword - you have saved yourself from an hour or two of torture by avoiding a Thorntons, or any other for that matter Diabetic Chocolate Egg. they all have a Laxative effect.

Hope that helps.
:D

Lel

The so called diabetic stuff from Thorntons is so high in carbs and fat that you are better having a couple squares of the high coco stuff.

i know how you feel though before i knew i was diabetic i never had much of a sweet tooth but now.......... :lol:

sandymaynard

Hi Lel,
I have never been a big eater of choclate! Must admit since becoming diabetic i have had cravings for chocolate!
If you eat a little it won't do you any harm! I say a little what you want does you no harm!
Have a couple of squares and you will be fine, your blood sugar might go up but there again! You had some luxury! You had a bit of chocolate! It does no harm to have a little!

Sheilabye

:) Thanks guys!
I think for a while I will remember what you have told me :D .
I know I can't eat alot of chocolate even a tiny bit of the Thorntons stuff sends me loopy :x but it's just I want it and to feel like a normal human being afterwards!
But oh the Headaches that follow... and yup the looh trips......
I was a big chocolate eater before and when I had diagnosis went super healthy non choccie but I find I have to eat some everyday or i will go nuts! :shock:

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
In The last 6 weeks or so since my diagnois I have been really strict and not eating chocs and staying low carb, about 60g a day. However last week I had a cold and just needed a nice big chocolate hug..........so rather than deprive I had a couple of squares of Green and Black organic stuff.......so if I want some I will eat it, and my Bs has still stayed at between 5 and 7. So I guess im not doing too bad............or am I?? I am off work for easter and have decided as of next week Im going back to the less than 60g of carbs a day, but will maybe include a square of choc lol :lol:

Sounds really hard for you Lel.........I know the motivation to be strict is difficult, but trying to have a coupleof squares though hard ,may just keep you from turning into a monster.............someone I became for a couple of days after diagnosis lol

It is soooooooooooo hard to be told WE MUST NOT HAVE, so right there with you in the fight to resist xx

PRINNY

hi everyone, yes easter is torture along with christmas and all the goodies that go with it, if i am craving chocolate i have some 70% green and blacks or aldi do an 85% one too, i like it and have become a very dark chocolate addict. of course i only have a couple of squares usually after a meal as my diatician says thats the best time, a bar lasts a long time now not devoured at once as in the pre diabetic days, oh i wish lol, but there you go its better than nothing were only human after all or so i keep telling myself, all the best, prinny

whatashock

I am now about 4 weeks in, and have 'lowered' my carbs.

I have not had any bread or chocalte for that time, but am starting to find stuff to snack on.

I tend to look at nuts, and today had a packet of brazil nuts which had 3.6g of carbs per pack of 100g.

I am just about to go to the fridge, and have my first piece of green and black 85%. I used to be able to eat 12 or so after eights per night, but, the worst that I can do tonight is eat a 100g of G&B which is 19g of carb..

Having not had it before, I gather I would get a medal if I can cope with the whole bar.

If my head is not down the loo later, I will let you know how I get on.

PRINNY

hi whatashock, the secret is small amounts every so often i have a couple of squares when the need hits me but a bar can last me around two weeks, i hope you enjoyed yours and managed to keep it down, theres nothing worse than head down the toilet time! keep to your eating plan, all the best, prinny

whatashock

I was amazed, as I think I had about 8 of the small pieces, and that was enough, which for me was great.

Have just had a tesco delivery, and we are amazed at how much more colourful the fridge is against the old 'easy option' for dinner.

my doctor is determined to get me to between 4 & 6 in the morning, and 6 -8 after dinner. I think I am doing quite well, especially as I am only only 2 x 500g metformin.

Only problem now is the impending 'all inclusive' holiday, but we shall see.

lilibet

Yup

I hear you! :(

Ive not had any chocolate for around 7 months since dx. Until the other day when I had a hypo and thought Id give it a try and see if it worked quick enough for me (not usually recommended for hypos due to delay in absorption). It was, and it was TO DIE FOR. Everyone says you get used to not having sweet things, but tbh I havent. i dont take them but every afternoon coffee I have, my body is looking for a wee teaspoon of sugar in it. Regardless of bg at the time, my body seems to want it then

I cant stand dark choc, mores the pity.

caitycakes1

I had to spend easter Sunday melting easter egg shells to make chocolate crispies for my kids. They always do that with the shells at easter. It was pure torture! I wanted to sink my face into the bowl of melted chocolate. I didn't even lick the spoon. Didn't think I had that kind of willpower :cry:

Caitycakes x

Sheilabye

:D Wow what a response! It is nice to see the replies you've sent have been most encourageing.
I've discovered
Sainsbury's do a No Added Sugar in Milk/ Dark
It's best to stick to a Thorntons Diabetic Turkish Delight (they are filling and lower in sugar)
Dark Chocolate works for Me.....only a few squares No More works Best!
Thanks Everyone

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sheilabye said:
:D Wow what a response! It is nice to see the replies you've sent have been most encourageing.
I've discovered
Sainsbury's do a No Added Sugar in Milk/ Dark
It's best to stick to a Thorntons Diabetic Turkish Delight (they are filling and lower in sugar)
Dark Chocolate works for Me.....only a few squares No More works Best!
Thanks Everyone

As previously stated:

Sheila.
Unless you have a penchant for sitting in the loo and doing the Times Crossword - to save you or anyone else from an hour or two of torture avoid a Thorntons, or any other for that matter Diabetic Chocolate they all have a Laxative effect.