Soft drinks sugar free

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
Thanks everyone.
What about fruits now? Apples, oranges and bananas are better than grapes and strawberries..............??
Any really good ones to start getting used to!?
Yes NUTHEAD is completely right. Raspberry are the best as they contain the least amount of sugar and bananas are the worst although in moderation all fruit is good. The President of Diabetes UK has a banana when his sugars get low, so there is no way of saying DO NOT EAT. I know your newly diagnosed but it's worth asking your diabetes nurse about a BG meter. They can be quite expensive but they are available on the NHS as are the lancets and test strips. Depends on where you live of course. When you think about eating fruit just think about the quantity. Berries should only be a handful, a small orange or apple is ok too, Enjoy.

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
Can anybody point me in the right direction for sugar free soft drinks? Newly diagnosed with Diabetes and dont see the nurse at diabetic clinic for 3 weeks, Fasting level 9 - 12 and 2 hours after food 15.4 - 16.3. Before being diagnosed I put the excessive thirst down to my medication Amitriptyline and can drink upto 2 pints of fluid overnight.
I take the amitriptyline it sure does make you want a drink, it may help but it's not the thing to do I expect.
I put one shot of whisky in a small glass,and sip a bit when I get the thirst.I've no idea why it works
for me.

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for your help ive had a scan and meds to try and ease it but it hasn't worked so I will try spakling water or coco cola life

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I've been talking to other people in my diabetes group about the new Coca Cola Life. For me I am asthmatic and as far as I can see all Sugar Free or Diet soft drinks contain Aspartame or Acesulfame K or similar. Even some fruit cordial drinks. These drinks are no good for me as they narrow my airways badly. Being type 2 diabetic I have many tablets to take and can't swallow tablets with just water. I found this Coca Cola Life and it contains natural sugar, not artificial sugar. The sugar it contains is 'Steviol Glycosides'. When I looked it up it says Steviol Glycosides are responsible for the sweet taste of the leaves of the stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). These compounds range in sweetness from 40 to 450 times sweeter than sucrose. They are heat-stable, PH-stable and do not ferment. Additionally, they do not induce a glycematic response when ingested, thus making them attractive as natural sweeteners for diabetics and others on carbohydrate-controlled diets.
For me one can (330ml) will last me on average 6 hours or a 500ml bottle could last up to 2 or 3 days on a hot day.
I would recommend it if you have to have a soft drink, unfortunately it's not available in pubs, clubs or restaurants yet though. What ever you chose, ENJOY!
From the Coca Cola website, this drink is sweetened with stevia and sugar. It still has two thirds of the sugar of standard Coke:

"Coca‑Cola Life is made with a blend of sugar and stevia leaf extract1, and contains a third less sugar and a third fewer calories than Coca‑Cola2."

Take care.

Doug

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
From the Coca Cola website, this drink is sweetened with stevia and sugar. It still has two thirds of the sugar of standard Coke:

"Coca‑Cola Life is made with a blend of sugar and stevia leaf extract1, and contains a third less sugar and a third fewer calories than Coca‑Cola2."

Take care.

Doug
Hi Doug, Being an HGV driver I have to check my BS regularly to keep my licence and I must say about an hour after I have had a can, bear in mind it lasts me about 6 hours, My blood sugar levels are only about 4.8 - 5.8 so the sugar is quite reasonable. I wouldn't want to push this product on anyone who doesn't drink or doesn't want to drink a fizzy drink. Carbonated water and lemon does sound refreshing though.

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody point me in the right direction for sugar free soft drinks? Newly diagnosed with Diabetes and dont see the nurse at diabetic clinic for 3 weeks, Fasting level 9 - 12 and 2 hours after food 15.4 - 16.3. Before being diagnosed I put the excessive thirst down to my medication Amitriptyline and can drink upto 2 pints of fluid overnight.
Try Panda squash. Orange or Mixed fruit. Less than >0.5 carbs per serving. One or two of these a day has no effect on my daughter. Also no Aspartme as sweetener obviously there are others, but if you cant drink other things when you are a child such as diet Coke (she certainly doesn't need the caffeine) this is a good alternative as it does taste nice. We all drink this now to make sure there is no sugar drinks in the house she might drink by mistake. Aldi do a fruity water in bottles aimed at kids with No Carbs.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion based on resesrch and reading how bad aspartame is I wouldn't advise anyone to make a habit of drinking diet colas. World wide sales have plummeted this year in the diet drinks market.

They have tested Aspartame more than 100 times and cannot find a problem. It was a conspiracy when it was first on the market that spread like wildfire and is still being spread..... just as it is on this forum today. Anything in moderation..... 22 litres a week is not moderation, but the odd can now and then is not an issue.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Coca cola life is not suitable for diabetics, it still has quite a high sugar content.

Ali

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick to drinks with known side effects such as GIN whisky vodka etc......:confused: