How low can you go.......??

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is a daft question then sorry.!!

I have been Type one for nearly two years now and am getting a good handle on things but did put on quite a bit of weight, now by cutting carbs, more exercise and a general improvement in diet I am on the long path back to a decent weight.

As my improvement continues I seem to need less and less insulin which is good I guess but I am at 8 units before meals and it seems such a small amount so my question is ..............what is the lowest anyone else uses or what is a safe minimum amount ??

I would grateful for any input

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Both reducing carbs and increased exercise are good ways to reduce insulin usage, as is weight loss so well done you.

If I'm spending an afternoon in the garden or out for al long walk I can use a ridiculously small amount of insulin for a highish carb lunch (as I'm very sensitive to insulin when activity is involved) and can inject just 2 units for a 80-90g carb meal and still manage the occasional hypo :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My meals are generally low carb (usually less than 20g carb per meal) and I typically take 2-3u of insulin per jab.

When I started out on the low carb approach I took 45u of basal Lantus and ~8-10u of Novorapid per meal (carb counted).

Since changing, my Basal lantus level is now 30u and mealtimes are 2-3u. The mealtime insulin is mainly to take account of the protein in the meal rather than the carbs.

As you can see from the differences between Noblehead and me, everyone is different, but if you aren't eating that much in the way of carbs, you don't need anywhere near as much insulin.

In terms of a safe minimum, that would be the amount required to keep your basal blood glucose flat and to avoid significant bg spikes with meals. This will be particular to you and should be calculated based on your BG testing.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There really are no levels to stick to as everyone is so unique. I was reading Nobleheads post and am astonished that he can get away with 2 units for this amount of carbs I would never be that low despite being slim and fit. But the way I see it the amount of insulin is actually irrelevant as long as your levels are balanced and you feel healthy. It's still an injection if you require 2 units or 20!
But the less you weigh the less insulin you generally require and you will also find you become more sensitive to both insulin and carbs which can make control slightly harder. I am about 10kg lighter now than I was a couple of years ago (and I wasn't massive then either, I am now about 67-69kg) by exercising more and not through dieting. I have found my levels have much bigger fluctuations even with a similar carb intake per day, I would estimate about 120-150gs per day. So reducing insulin amounts can sometimes come with it's own issues.

We are all the same yet all different.

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But the way I see it the amount of insulin is actually irrelevant as long as your levels are balanced and you feel healthy. It's still an injection if you require 2 units or 20!

From what I've gathered the amount of insulin is not really irrelevant. The less insulin you have the better actually. High insulin levels can lead to or worsen insuline resistance and furthermore some studies have established a link between insulin and atherogenesis.

I'm not linkin any studies because everybody can google as well as (or better than) me, but I think the matter is worth considering.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm diagnosed for 6 months. Recently low carbing. If I have a no carb meal, I have no need for bolus. I can actually still get away with up to 10 carbs without insulin. Any more and my ratio is 1:25

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm diagnosed for 6 months. Recently low carbing. If I have a no carb meal, I have no need for bolus. I can actually still get away with up to 10 carbs without insulin. Any more and my ratio is 1:25
That's amazing Emmotha. Fantastic! And you were bolus-ing much more before, no?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep my ratio used to be 1:10. Not sure if it's a weird honeymoon thing or the low carb diet

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's low carb, betcha. That's what's so brilliant about low carb.

Spockraptor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's low carb, betcha. That's what's so brilliant about low carb.
If this is a daft question then sorry.!!

I have been Type one for nearly two years now and am getting a good handle on things but did put on quite a bit of weight, now by cutting carbs, more exercise and a general improvement in diet I am on the long path back to a decent weight.

As my improvement continues I seem to need less and less insulin which is good I guess but I am at 8 units before meals and it seems such a small amount so my question is ..............what is the lowest anyone else uses or what is a safe minimum amount ??

I would grateful for any input
I am taking 3 units of novorapid per meal and 5 lantus on an evening. I am newly diagnosed type 1 so honeymooning at the moment so expecting that to change in the future...

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have <40g carbs per day (mainly from veg sources), do weights and run around 4-7km/day, and take 15-16iu basal (lantus) with no bolus required, if I stick to this rigidly.

This is in contrast to a few yrs ago on high carb low fat where I was taking 26iu lantus and 8-12iu novorapid per meal.

J

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on 2 u Insulatard morning and night, and Bernsteinian very low carb, 30g or less a day. But I'm LADA and still in my honeymoon.