FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am coming to the end of my 14 days of the first sensor. Here are some thoughts:

Insertion
Painless, did not feel it stuck on very well. Put at bottom of upper arm (when arm outstretched palm facing upwards) half way between armpit and elbow. Used physiotape over top to hold in place (with hole cut in middle so most of sensor exposed) which I replaced after about d10 as this was coming off in shower. Suspect the sensor would have come off had I not used this tape. No pain at all after first few hours of insertion.

Reading (NFC)
Bit disappointed here. First time trying nothing happened so was worried. Now I know that very often it will not transmit the first time (when you press the home button and it says scan). Most of time have to press the button again, then select scan glucose and then it works. Sometimes it does not work 3 times in a row and it times out. Bit tempermental and no obvious reason why (so sometimes I look like a lemon trying to scan it). Not sure if this is the sensor or the unit.

Settling period
Inserted it around 12pm one day, did not settle for a good 12-18h and read low. From <2.2mmol/l up to around 3.8 when bloods were saying 4.6-7mmol/l. However the following morning it was very accurate. Example readings:
18hr - Sensor = 6.3mmol/l, blood = 6.4mmol/l
24hr - S = 5.3, B = 5.5
30h S=4.4, B = 4.8
Etc.
Usual variability is 0.1-0.8mmol/l out from blood strip test, accounting for 15-20min lag. Only once or twice outside of 0.8mmol/l out, and seemed to be around hot shower/laying heavily on it, or when BG rapidly changing (apparently). On average about 0.3mmol/l out from blood.

Data generated
Biggest selling point. This is huge - and the reports are excellent, very detailed, very satisfying to a scientist! If I wasn't so busy right now I would be going mad with it all.

What it has helped me with

For this trial period I have stuck quite rigidly with my LCHF diet. This has really shown the benefits of this diet in keeping stable sugar levels. It has allowed me to observe the effect of exercise quite precisely and the timings around that (as I lift weights and then run every weekday morning) and shows that when my BS are out of range, it is due to exercise (on this diet) initially, with weights liberating the largest increase in BS. It has also helped me to answer the questions around certain foods and how I react - in particular I really wanted to know the true effect of Xylitol on my BS and this has been as I had hoped it would be, which was nice to see. It has confirmed that this diet is by far, the best for my control as I have not gone about around 9.2mmol/l in 2 weeks, and been in target (3.9-8.2mmol/l) for 91% of the time, with most of the 4% below coming from inaccurate readings early on due to settling (so probably in target 94%). I did not go above 10.0 on this diet during the period. It is pertinent to note that on a high carb diet with more insulin I regularly would find myself around 16.0 and sometimes in the 20s, at least 1-2x a week.

Here are my daily patterns:

Nov_Libre_patterns.jpg

J
Impressive results :)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Impressive results :)

According to the Freeystyle Libre yes..

Emmotha, i read you experienced also inaccurate readings like I do, what made the change for you to achieve more accurate readings?

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the Freeystyle Libre yes..
Indeed, but given how accurate my sensor was compared to the blood readings (and checked on another meter) - as stated above - I am pretty confident these results are accurate (for me) :)

J

Reactions: 2 people

ceejayy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omnipod, I am in the same boat. Spent time on phone to them today. The guy was pretty good though and someone is supposed to be calling me back tomorrow...we shall see. I ordered on the 20th

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Indeed, but given how accurate my sensor was compared to the blood readings (and checked on another meter) - as stated above - I am pretty confident these results are accurate (for me) :)

J
Nice to hear it works for some people;)

By the way, i was wondering what exactly is in your body (what material) and which risks it could cause..

Medical devices do not really get a healthrisk check or test in the EU before they are allowed for sale. Devices have to be CE-certified, but today a dutch tv-show found out that you can get CE-certification for anything. The tv-show created a device which was arguably causing huge healthrisks and managed to get CE-certification for it, just by filling out some paperwork.

By the way Libre products are still for sale in NL

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Hill28 I'm not sure I agree that blood glucose value is the best. It's the one we all know well and what we are given to meter. It is, therefore, the de facto standard and tells you what sugars are available in the bodies transport mechanism for use by muscles and other organs. I'm not saying that IFG is better either. I'm simply questioning whether what we accept as normal should be taken as correct and right.

My experience with the Libre has been that it doesn't fluctuate wildly from blood sugar levels outside from what I'd expect of lag.

I'm still of the opinion that trend data is as important as if not more so than spot readings and if the libre is 1mmol out but gives good trend data, that's good enough.

Manufacturing issues are not!

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol @smidge as you and I both have trouble remembering which arm to scan with one sensor on I don't think we'd be good candidates for that experiment!

Probably not! I've got two sensors on at the moment because sensor three expires tomorrow so I've put sensor four on to acclimatise. I'm having to think really hard about which arm to scan!

I still think the application of the sensor hurts a little though - it's certainly not painless for me - I must just be a wimp!

Smidge

Charlesa8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way Libre products are still for sale in NL

Where?

I just tried to buy from www.freestylelibre.nl, but was told "Hartelijk dank voor uw belangstelling in het FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoringssysteem. Vanwege de grote belangstelling voor het product kunnen wij op dit moment alleen bestellingen van bestaande klanten aannemen. Als u nieuwe klant van het FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoringsysteem wilt worden, kunt u helaas pas begin 2015 een bestelling plaatsen. Wij begrijpen dat deze situatie ongemak kan veroorzaken. Als u bericht wilt ontvangen wanneer het product beschikbaar komt, kunt u hier uw e-mailadres opgeven." which Google Translate renders as "Thank you for your interest in the FreeStyle Flash Libre glucose monitoring system. Because of the great interest in the product we can currently only accept orders from existing customers. If you want to become a new customer of the FreeStyle Flash Libre Glucose Monitoring System, you can unfortunately only in early 2015 to place an order. We understand that this situation may cause discomfort."

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@smidge I think it is more a shock as the applicator fires, than pain, that I notice.

On a slightly different note, went out for dinner last night and had fish and chips. Finished eating at about 8.45 and injected about 8.30. Now I know there are delayed reactions, but how about this for a late spike following food. Steep climb that kicks in from 4am. No change to basal. No way I could properly catch this with Novorapid! Something to be aware of I guess.

126fd0e12dc7327d0735000c3b74f02a.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you make a practice of being up at 5am Tim? Tho given your Lantus antics, good that you were ... !

The trouble is, those **** bodies just don't follow the rules ... Ah, the joys

iHs

Eating large meal late evening usualy causes my bg to go loopy during the night esp with it contains fat.....ive been upto 14mmol and thsts going to bed on 7mmol. I usually stay up if bg goes really high just to make sure yoòdos the pump, works with the correction.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you make a practice of being up at 5am Tim? Tho given your Lantus antics, good that you were ... !

The trouble is, those **** bodies just don't follow the rules ... Ah, the joys
5am? Yes, every week day! I have to be in the office for 6.45.... :meh:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, sensor 4 is up and running. It's first reading was 4.6, with 4.2 on my Mobile - so fingers crossed it stays that accurate!

Smidge

Thomson54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My personal opinion is that Abbott have run out sensor supplies due to the huge interest in the product.
Their website is faulty, their helpline impotent, all replies are read from crib sheets.
It is a call centre !
As a customer, after a week of trying, I have paid another £90 odd English pounds for their sensors
which will arrive in 3 or 5 or 7 days time.
Many interesting comments on this thread, please keep updating with your experiences,
I feel Abbott are using us as Guinea pigs at a huge cost to us.
I am starting to rely on the sensor and the reports from the reader.
As of today I will be using the 'Rapid Acting Insulin Calculator'
(For use with fingerstick blood glucose results, not sensor glucose readings)

Please tell friends to sign up to Libre free on NHS campaign.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/freestyle-libre-on-the-nhs

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aaargh. My sensor runs out in 9 hours and my replacements haven't arrived yet. The panic is starting to set in....

Reactions: 2 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Hm ordered 1 more sensor 2 days ago, still no confirmation that it has been send..think they really ran out of sensors..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably not! I've got two sensors on at the moment because sensor three expires tomorrow so I've put sensor four on to acclimatise. I'm having to think really hard about which arm to scan!

I still think the application of the sensor hurts a little though - it's certainly not painless for me - I must just be a wimp!

Smidge
are you putting it on your 'chicken wing' part of the arm ?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaargh. My sensor runs out in 9 hours and my replacements haven't arrived yet. The panic is starting to set in....
LOL..withdrawal symptoms..you are going to have to get your Iphone out and read bar codes to get a fix :)