What was everyone's blood when they go diagnosed?

E

emm2012

Just before my 32nd birthday, 3 years ago after a virus. Dropped from 10 to 8 stone in a matter of weeks,excruciating leg cramps, thirst , peeing every half hour of the night, mouth so dry I couldn't speak, infections etc so all the normal symptoms .........43m/mol on finger prick test, and still walking. Nurse that tested me left the room backwards without taking her eyes of me to get a doctor....Felt like death but the doctor thought I looked too well and sent me home with a meter. hcA1c came back at 14.9 + Gad PositiveType 1........

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told what I can and cannot eat!!
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed Type 1 in November 2010. My BG was 54, which the nurse said was the highest she'd ever seen and technically I should have been in a coma!

I had all of the classic symptoms, 15kg weight loss, aching muscles once the fat had disappeared, blurred vision, constant thirst, urinating every 30 minutes with pear drop smelly pee, constant fatigue, thrush, etc. Being a typical man, I ignored these symptoms for approximately 3 months, even though most Type 1's are diagnosed within 2-3 weeks, due to the severity of the symptoms...

It was 2-3 weeks before my BG levels were below 10 but have managed to keep them under control since, with only the occasional blip!

Anyway, at the first quarterly meeting of newbie Type 1's at my local clinic, I met someone who had a BG of 106!! He was in a coma for 6 days and after I heard that, I didn't feel quite so bad....:):):)

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Mine was 86 hba1c and 12.3 mmol

michaelgc123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite, might add more later lol
I went to The Eye Hospital to have a Meibomian Cyst removed from under my eyelid. I had forgotten to take a urine sample along with me so the nurse said she would test my blood. The result was 28! Once she had calmed down, she informed me that she was going to notify my doctor and the rest is history! This was about eight years ago!

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High 20's I think and ketones of around 7, presented with diabetic ketoacidosis after feeling unwell for about a week, lost around 13llb in that week. Put it down to combination of thinking I had a virus and flu jab. Had been diagnosed 7 year ago at age of 38 with Mody/ T2 - now diagnosis been changed to LADA/ T1.

Spockraptor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed type 1 in October. 14.8 and +4 keytones I think. H1 test came back with 79. C peptide was 0.54. Think I am honeymooning at the minute as just on 3 units of novorapid with each meal and 5 of lantus solostar.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in September, still not sure if it's 1 or 2, but 'most likely 2'. My new GP discovered it when she took my blod for some other tests - I had 24 mmol, and that was fasting reading. I'm pretty sure I had it for years, though, and my old GP never noticed.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Mine was only 14.8. But Ketones off the scale. I guess because I had been in DKA for a week or two I hadn't eaten anything, or anything I did eat I threw back up. Usual symptons. Nagging dose of Thrush, drinking gallons of full sugar coke? Yes I was craving sugar!! Pissing every 20 mins, Too exhausted to move, blurred vision, numb feet, 3 stone of weight just peeled off me etc. When I finally presented myself to my GP, he was suprised I was still standing and immediately threw me into the back of an ambulance. He later told me, the whole surgery stank of ketones for the rest of that day!! ****, I remember that first insulin infusion, bliss :), twas better than IV Morphine ;-) Within half an hour, I felt human again, and all those symptoms dissappeared.

Erin2a

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was everyone's blood sugar when they got diagnosed?
And how were you diagnosed? What were your symptoms?
My sugars were 32 and I was barely conscious and rushed to hospital
I was returning from a school swimming competition and put the symptoms down to the bad ferry journey. I was thirsty constantly and needed the bathroom allot due to being so thirsty, i was also very sluggish and was not feeling well. When my mum got really concerned they took me to the hospital and my blood sugars were above the HI mark on the meter which is usually above 32 on most meters.

Dug88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was between 28-34 i think, I lost 2 stone, from my 10 stone frame. Drinking and craving bottles drinks and peeing far to much.... I remember going to the toilet about 7 times a night but hardly being about to climb the stairs to the bathroom as my legs were in agony and weak. My eyes started to hurt and blur uncontrollably, dry mouth and daydreaming about endless water consumption. My mum asked if i was on drugs as my appearance was that of a drug addict, not great.... got sorted in hospital, was in for 7 days. Am always learning about my condition and have gone in and out of interest in controlling it properly, on the right track now and finding it easier day by day...
Learning to control it, not it control me...

Spockraptor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was craving loads of full fat coke and drinking pints of the stuff and thinking this tastes amazing but got even thirstier from it. Was 2 days later I went to docs and was diagnosed so got sorted quickly.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What was everyone's blood sugar when they got diagnosed?
And how were you diagnosed? What were your symptoms?
My sugars were 32 and I was barely conscious and rushed to hospital

@rachy0121 your post made me chuckle as I too was rushed to hospital my A1c was 13.6 so a lot lower only 19.

I though I was dying of pancreatic cancer as I could barely walk and my kids were freaked out. My brother came over after a rambling conversation and took me ER. In hospital a week.

polka

I lost 2 stone in weight and started being sick after i ate,
MY Auntie Sadie noticed this(my granny died of type 2 complications) and decided to take me to the Dr where i was tested about 32, then i went straight to hospital.

Im so glad she noticed as it could have been a lot worse.

Reactions: 4 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Mine was between 28-34 i think, I lost 2 stone, from my 10 stone frame. Drinking and craving bottles drinks and peeing far to much.... I remember going to the toilet about 7 times a night but hardly being about to climb the stairs to the bathroom as my legs were in agony and weak. My eyes started to hurt and blur uncontrollably, dry mouth and daydreaming about endless water consumption. My mum asked if i was on drugs as my appearance was that of a drug addict, not great.... got sorted in hospital, was in for 7 days. Am always learning about my condition and have gone in and out of interest in controlling it properly, on the right track now and finding it easier day by day...
Learning to control it, not it control me...
It took me almost a year to get my leg strength back.

Some nights I'd be so thirsty that I would guzzel ice cold sparkling water I could not get enough.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
46!! I was 12 and my grandma thought I had bulimia as I would hardly eat, drink bucket loads of water and literally crawl to the toilet 50 times a day as I had no energy!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, my level was 68!! When I was finally referred to the hospital, I walked in, in tracksuit and sports bag over my shoulder, I had tests and then I received a OMG you should be a gonna, by a very shocked nurse!! Miss-diagnosed for 2 years by my GO, who I went to see several times, with weight loss, chronic thirst, craving anything sweet, abscesses, ulcers, leg numbness, weakness,hair loss, thrush, eating soft rice pudding was (I imagine) like chewing glass !! This was 16 years ago. I lost 5 stone in 6 months and 2 stone in 10 day. I was in hospital for 24 hours under a fabulous doctor, thankfully :) I came home home and had a week off work, when I returned I got the sack for being off even after explaining everything!! However, I still ride and compete my beautiful horse, drive a horsebox and work 5 to 7 days a week. So all good. Until a few weeks ago when I was confirmed to have pre proliferative retinopathy and the starts of cataracts!! So really fed up right now, even more so today because I'm having one of those, where I can't get my levels down below 18!!!! Doesn't matter how much goo I take #determined

Reactions: 5 people

edgarh123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 36 got diagnosed 2 Mon. Ago a1c at 11.3 same symptoms thirst, weight loss No weakness.