medical exemption card

nicdavcamb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received my Medial exemption card for what seems a lifetime ago. having been diagnosed 1956. you must collect your insulin from a very poor chemist if they did not tell you from the offset as to why you did not produce a certificate. Suggest tell your doctor I am sure he will be able to help and inform them of how long you have been a diabetic.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've now highlighted this as an issue on the Newsletter that we give to Patients at our practice. Patients are so unaware, it's unbelievable. I've already had 3 patients contact me, as they did not realise this "fine" system was in place, and all of them said how ridiculous it was, as our illnesses are lifetime ones, not curable... So why can't we have lifetime certificates?

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I recently got mine. Saves me a bundle every month. Didn't know there was exemption on thyroid meds...I have to check that out. Nice one.

I've been told that once you get the certificate you can use it for ALL your meds. Maybe this is wrong?? I think the reference to thyroid meds just relates to the condition for which it is first granted.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've been told that once you get the certificate you can use it for ALL your meds. Maybe this is wrong?? I think the reference to thyroid meds just relates to the condition for which it is first granted.

Yes this is correct an exemption certificate makes you exempt from all meds.

towerhil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ducati2242 and @CarbsRok actually the law governing this requires you to knowingly deceive, which you didn't, and the form only requires payment if you weren't entitled, which you were, so CR don't defend a bad system - as you say, the Nhs' ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Reactions: 2 people

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ducati2242 and @CarbsRok actually the law governing this requires you to knowingly deceive, which you didn't, and the form only requires payment if you weren't entitled, which you were, so CR don't defend a bad system - as you say, the Nhs' ignorance of the law is no excuse!

I'll use that in my defence, if they ever take it any further, I have my card now and haven't heard any more of the fine police.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@towerhill I have never defended the system or how it works. So please do not attack me thank you. All I have ever done is point out what the NHS say.
As to your point about knowingly it wont stand up because it is assumed you have read and understood the declaration you signed.

towerhil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@towerhill I have never defended the system or how it works. So please do not attack me thank you. All I have ever done is point out what the NHS say.
As to your point about knowingly it wont stand up because it is assumed you have read and understood the declaration you signed.

Well, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that 'valid' medical exemption would be based on having an incurable condition rather than having to prove an incurable condition hadn't cured itself in order to get a 5 year certificate? It would be like seeing a roadsign with '20' written on it, but on this particular road it's a minimum not a maximum. How is anyone to know? It's irrational, it's illegal (and they know it, hence the weasal wording on the form) and I'm in the process of changing the rule with the help of my MP.