How long can u be undiagnosed?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My gp also thinks I was undiagnosed for many years. Now that I think of it, I probably had high-ish bg for up to 10 years before final violent onset and diagnosis. Before that it wasn't obvious and I saw many doctors (including endocrinologists) who didn't notice.

I read that with t1 the symptoms don't usually appear until you lost 80% of pancreas function - and with LADA you can have slightly higher bg for years before picking it up.

Because of my "late" diagnosis I have nerve and muscles problems in legs and cataracts.
So I wouldn't say 'if you're only diagnosed recently you're safe from complications".

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will you have your cataracts operated on PaulinaB?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yep, just had my second surgery a week ago. It's like a new life :)

I hope you continue to make a good recovery from your operation, so pleased to hear it's given you a 'new life' :happy:

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the doctor to get HRT a few years ago because my mental processing had got really slow and muddy and because that is so important to me .. And it helped, but now I wonder if it was high blood sugar, which certainly makes me feel like that. And I'd always drunk a lot and got up in the night, since my 20s. The consolation I cling to is that my eyesight only began to noticeably deteriorate in about February. (And that was lenses, so reversed in the first six weeks.) So I just hope any damage done isn't too bad - and want to get my BS as low as I possibly can, to recover.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
that is really lovely to read PaulinaB :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting what a couple of you have said about appetite. I've mentioned before when people have suggested that insulin makes you hungry that this was the complete opposite with me. Apart from one or two hypos I've not really felt hunger since I started using insulin .

I did have background retinopathy show up a couple of years after diagnosis. I got my levels down very quickly At t one point my HbA1c was as low as 4.9% I think that this fast reduction was the cause.(definitely not recommending a level as low as this either. My hypo awareness was reduced, kicking in at lower and lower levels. I thought I managed fine at very low levels but it really wasn't sensible)
My ophthalmologist has insisted on me having retinopathy checks using fluorescein dye each year because of it for the last 7 or so years. Just this year he decided it was no longer necessary and I only needed the normal check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Willoughby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is so interesting to read all of your stories - and so many things relate to my experience. I was diagnosed last January after major blurry vision, thrush, thirst, tingling skin, etc. etc. I then found I had background retinopathy when I had my first eye check in the spring - which was a shock. I now think I had T1 coming on for a while (there were a few health pointers in previous months and I'm cross that I never picked up on the link between yeast infections and diabetes!) but also wonder whether the retinopathy was caused by getting my levels down fast as Phoenix experienced! I guess I'll never know!

I too don't have an increased appetite at all - although my insulin requirements are fairly low at the moment in comparison to some people.

The sleep thing too is weird. In the last few years I have never slept so well - before that I found far more difficult. Perhaps this is an age thing though!
It is great to read so many posts from positive people. This is my first one - although I have been gaining strength and encouragement from reading them almost since diagnosis. Thanks to all who share their experiences - when I was first diagnosed it was a lifeline!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It is so interesting to read all of your stories - and so many things relate to my experience. I was diagnosed last January after major blurry vision, thrush, thirst, tingling skin, etc. etc. I then found I had background retinopathy when I had my first eye check in the spring - which was a shock. I now think I had T1 coming on for a while (there were a few health pointers in previous months and I'm cross that I never picked up on the link between yeast infections and diabetes!) but also wonder whether the retinopathy was caused by getting my levels down fast as Phoenix experienced! I guess I'll never know!

I too don't have an increased appetite at all - although my insulin requirements are fairly low at the moment in comparison to some people.

The sleep thing too is weird. In the last few years I have never slept so well - before that I found far more difficult. Perhaps this is an age thing though!
It is great to read so many posts from positive people. This is my first one - although I have been gaining strength and encouragement from reading them almost since diagnosis. Thanks to all who share their experiences - when I was first diagnosed it was a lifeline!

OMG... I forgot the thrush! Had it for a good year on and off before diagnosis! Disappeared the day I was put on insulin, never had it since!

Willoughby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG... I forgot the thrush! Had it for a good year on and off before diagnosis! Disappeared the day I was put on insulin, never had it since!

Same story here! If I had known about that connection alarm bells would have rung earlier - I didn't have the thirst, etc. until right at the end when my sugars were way up. Had a horrible couple of weeks at the start when they put me on metformin which did nothing for the sugars but gave me a bad stomach! I was so relieved to get onto insulin.