Frustrated with Metformin

nicki257

I have been recently diagnosed with T2 and started on Metformin. I have had terrible side effects so the doctor changed me to the SR version but I am still having the same problems! Now the doc has said to come off it for a week to see if the diarrhoea etc clears up. I know it has to be the Metformin or its interaction with my other medication as I was absolutely fine before I started on the Metformin! So it will be another week before I can go back and try and get something sorted :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I had lots of problems with Metformin,I came of them once because I was on holiday and felt so bad.
After reading about them and their benifits I started taking them again 1x500 a day,It took a few weeks,some people have no problems.
Im fine now but it took some doing,Im not on any other meds.
There is a thread on Metformin on this site.
Welcome and all the best.

Reactions: 2 people

emmaclaire06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people
Oh your not alone I had problems for 2 years until they decided I was type 1 and metformin was never going to do what it's ment to it made my life unbearable for ages to the point of not going out due to the problems it gave me hope you get sorted

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Been On meformin for three years never had any bother until I wrote on here :confused: hahaah then had diarrhoea for a few days me and my mouth but touch wood :arghh: it has settled down again fingers crossed:facepalm:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ultimately there are other meds, i like the idea of cutting them down to the minimum and slowly increasing them, hows your diet? are you sure you cant make the needed blood number reductions without the meds? its very common for folks to get these side effects with met, your certainly not alone, all the best

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just joined the Metformin brigade! I was dreading it, as my husband is on it, and until he was put on the SR ones, his life was a misery with diarrhoea. I asked the doctor if I could have the slow release ones, but he said I had to try the ordinary ones first, as they were cheaper. If they caused problems, then he would re-think it.

Fortunately, I saw my wonderful Diabetic Nurse, Sarah, the next day, and she advised me to start with ONE tablet of 500 mg a day, for a fortnight, and THEN go up to TWO. (The doctor said only a week on one tablet!) So far, so good; I take it with my evening meal, and I have tended to be constipated rather than loose. (Lovely subject!!) The only time I had a touch of diarrhoea was when I missed my tablet, and took it later on with a small quantity of food. Just realised that tomorrow is the start of TWO Mets a day!! Wish me luck!! :nailbiting:

Reactions: 4 people

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had terrible problems with Met when I was first on them last November, when I told my GP I wanted the SR type she said that she would get in trouble for prescribing them and every time I get a repeat prescription she is prompted to issue the standard ones. I have also been told that GP's are fined if they prescribe the SR ones without trying the standard ones first. So much for your doctor doing what is best for you. This is all about money!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What are the SR one's never heard of these

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Slow release, that's all it stands for.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on a Metformin "break". I had been having horrendous problems with bloating, stomach cramps and wind - despite taking the modified release type. I asked to do this after various other attempts to cure my stomach problems failed. As if by magic all my problems disappeared - unfortunately though now my BS levels appear to be climbing. Where j used to be around 6 before my evening meal now they are around 8. I only take novarapid after my evening meal so now I find I'm eating less during the day as I don't have my Metformin at lunchtime. All I had today was a small bowl of cornflakes and a ham sandwich at lunchtime made with livlife bread and I had a reading of 7.9. So unfair - I'm already underweight so this isn't going to help. It's nearly Christmas and I just wish I could eat what I want for a short time. I really don't want to go back to the Metformin if at all possible but is there any alternative?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I am currently on a Metformin "break". I had been having horrendous problems with bloating, stomach cramps and wind - despite taking the modified release type. I asked to do this after various other attempts to cure my stomach problems failed. As if by magic all my problems disappeared - unfortunately though now my BS levels appear to be climbing. Where j used to be around 6 before my evening meal now they are around 8. I only take novarapid after my evening meal so now I find I'm eating less during the day as I don't have my Metformin at lunchtime. All I had today was a small bowl of cornflakes and a ham sandwich at lunchtime made with livlife bread and I had a reading of 7.9. So unfair - I'm already underweight so this isn't going to help. It's nearly Christmas and I just wish I could eat what I want for a short time. I really don't want to go back to the Metformin if at all possible but is there any alternative?

The cornflakes (and maybe the bread) are not doing you any favours regardless of the serve. Can you not try some fish / tuna or maybe some leafy greens and perhaps turkey breast?

Good luck :)

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know cornflakes not the best choice for breakfast but I don't have any sugar or anything with them. The livlife bread are tiny slices and under 4g of carbs per slice - I hate tuna and a sandwich is most convenient for lunch at work. Given that I didn't even have an apple today I'm well p****ed off. The only carbs I had at tea were two small potatoes and I took 4 units of insulin but BS was 10.3 after 2 hours. Guess I need to do more readings and contact diabetic nurse for advice.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nicki, check out my previous posts. I have written about Metformin many times. I had a heck of a time with it. Increase your dosage very slowly if it is giving you so many problems (as it did me!) I had a horrible time for months. I am fine now, completely used to it, but it does take quite a bit of time for some people, unfortunately. :( Taking it with a LOT of water, taking it in the middle of your meal, etc. helped me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know cornflakes not the best choice for breakfast but I don't have any sugar or anything with them. The livlife bread are tiny slices and under 4g of carbs per slice - I hate tuna and a sandwich is most convenient for lunch at work. Given that I didn't even have an apple today I'm well p****ed off. The only carbs I had at tea were two small potatoes and I took 4 units of insulin but BS was 10.3 after 2 hours. Guess I need to do more readings and contact diabetic nurse for advice.

Hi,

I've seen other people say that their metformin digestive upsets were directly proportional to the amount of carbs in their diet. Less carbs, less upset, and lower BG.

But I'm only repeating what I've read - I don't take met myself. But maybe worth testing out...

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now stopped eating regular bread completely and switched to Livlife after recommendations from other users of this forum. This bread comes in very small loaves and very small slices however the carb content is under 4g per slice. I only have two slices of this at lunchtime and consequently I'm starving until over 6 hours later when at my evening meal I will eat no more than two egg sized boiled potatoes with meat of some description and some cabbage and carrots. Then I eat nothing else until morning when it's sometimes eggs or cereal (without sugar) for breakfast. I honestly don't know how I can cut anymore carbs from my diet unless I virtually stop eating. I'm not even having my apple at lunchtime now, I'm over a stone underweight and constantly hungry. If anyone can suggest anything which does not involve starving myself to death then I would be really grateful

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't eat wheat and take metformin. Eat wheat and have a dodgy stomach, don't and I'm fine. I don't replace it with alternatives either.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have now stopped eating regular bread completely and switched to Livlife after recommendations from other users of this forum. This bread comes in very small loaves and very small slices however the carb content is under 4g per slice. I only have two slices of this at lunchtime and consequently I'm starving until over 6 hours later when at my evening meal I will eat no more than two egg sized boiled potatoes with meat of some description and some cabbage and carrots. Then I eat nothing else until morning when it's sometimes eggs or cereal (without sugar) for breakfast. I honestly don't know how I can cut anymore carbs from my diet unless I virtually stop eating. I'm not even having my apple at lunchtime now, I'm over a stone underweight and constantly hungry. If anyone can suggest anything which does not involve starving myself to death then I would be really grateful

Hi Shelly

Just because others can tolerate bread (even livelife) doesn't mean that you can ... that's a fact of life given we're all different :) Same for boiled potatoes. It's not just cutting the carbs that's important ..... it's WHAT you eat.

You must mix this up with alternatives ... and what applies to you applies to all of us ... continue to try other foods until you reach levels your body will accept .....

You say you hate tuna. Does that apply to ALL fish? Ask yourself these questions Shell :)

It IS a pain in the "you know what" and I'd sincerely hope others will jump in with some suggestions.

I wish you well :) Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cereal is a big no no for me. Even porridge cooked in plain water will spike me to 14 !!! Try a full English breakfast and you will be surprised how low carb it can be.