Christmas......treats and ideas

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, can't ignore it much longer and wanted to start this thread as I'm sure lots of us will be in the same quandary about Christmas- possibly the first for many of us as diabetics!!
Personally, since diagnosed in June I have been rigid in my lchf regime and determined to a fault, no slips. I keep looking ahead to Christmas and have the same determination that I'm not going to un-do what I've done BUT would like to join in with the season!
I have a few ideas in my head and hope between us we can find more?
Christmas dinner I'm thinking for roast potatoes I shall do myself a couple of new ones, par boiled than in the oven instead of old potatoes. Pigs in blankets I shall use my amazing black farmers rather than my previous local butchers as I'm certain he uses breadcrumbs or cereal. For many years one of my traditions has always been a bottle of Bailey's, every year my late dad would make sure I had one and after he passed away I made sure I kept it up.....now thinking of making a version of my own with whiskey, cream and dash of coffee as the branded obviously has sugar / honey in.
Any other ideas folks?? I will keep thinking and adding as we go:)

Reactions: 9 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm going to have roast spuds but roast them in loads of Goose fat. I'm making brandy soaked cherries in chocolate, this is a new one for me so will see how they turn out. I'm also planing on making truffles from cream 72% choc and maybe a little baileys/brandy/any alcohol really. I will be having homemade brandy soaked christmas cake, maybe a bit of christmas pudding. I plan on being less strict for 1 week, then back on the horse. New years eve is buffet so I'll have plenty of cheese, pickles, meat and nuts.

Reactions: 10 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to have roast spuds but roast them in loads of Goose fat. I'm making brandy soaked cherries in chocolate, this is a new one for me so will see how they turn out. I'm also planing on making truffles from cream 72% choc and maybe a little baileys/brandy/any alcohol really. I will be having homemade brandy soaked christmas cake, maybe a bit of christmas pudding. I plan on being less strict for 1 week, then back on the horse. New years eve is buffet so I'll have plenty of cheese, pickles, meat and nuts.
Oooh........love the idea of the brandy soaked cherries and the truffles! I normally only buy a slab Christmas cake as neither of my daughter's like it, May just treat myself to one of those single finger portions from the bakers ! Not been keen on Christmas pudding for years now, thinking profiteroles as have tried them (2.5gm carbs each) and I'm.ok with them, either grated 90% dark on top or maybe even melted?!

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
mmmm Pofiteroles..............**** I'm drooling on the keyboard!!!! :p

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tbh it was always the meaty part of the Xmas meal I enjoyed the most anyway so I'll be having one roast spud, few carrots and some roast turnip , tbsp peas and then mounds of bacon rolls, sausages etc. my blow out day will be Boxing Day when I'll have a real amount of chips and curry sauce with my cold turkey.
I love pate so will get lots in and serve with st Agur and celery and pickles and the cold meat instead of sandwiches. May make some low carb scotch eggs if I can find the recipe.
I've got my next HbA1c eariy January so that's an incentive to not go too far off rails.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I am a rarity in that I actually like Brussel Sprouts so I can do plenty of those. the trick is to make sure that you don't overcook them, and try adding a bit of chopped up onion (or any allium) and crispy bacon to them as it is supposed to help reduce the sulphur taste and after effect.

Roast potatoes are definitely on the menu, but chopped up small and cooked in goose fat, as I plan on doing a goose instead of a turkey I will have plenty to cook with afterwards.

My big problem is Christmas pudding, I love it with lashings of custard, brandy butter or cream just doesn't work for me. However while it is a small consolation I have been making custard from powder and sweetened with canderel (red) for years now so I know that works.

I have just had my review appointment come through for early Jan and booked the blood test for 29.12.14 so hopefully one day won't do too much damage.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh it was always the meaty part of the Xmas meal I enjoyed the most anyway so I'll be having one roast spud, few carrots and some roast turnip , tbsp peas and then mounds of bacon rolls, sausages etc. my blow out day will be Boxing Day when I'll have a real amount of chips and curry sauce with my cold turkey.
I love pate so will get lots in and serve with st Agur and celery and pickles and the cold meat instead of sandwiches. May make some low carb scotch eggs if I can find the recipe.
I've got my next HbA1c eariy January so that's an incentive to not go too far off rails.
My next hba1c and review is April- so if I do lose a few days on my regime I have plenty time to catch up;)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided that I will only indulge on Christmas Day. Will definitely have some roast potatoes and stuffing made with sausage meat. I'm not too fussed about sweet things since I started LCHF, I may have one minced pie and my sister has offered to make what she calls her diabetic trifle. She uses berries - doesn't use any sponge makes her own Custard and lashings of cream and sugar free jelly.

Whist there will be lots of other naughty things around, I'll combated that by buying lots of different cheeses and nuts in their shells and out...so that their will be plenty of good low carb foods around that I can nibble on when they start on the tins of quality streets.

I have to be honest and say I am worried by Christmas and all that food, as it will be the first year since I've been diagnosed when I am in control of my diabetes, hence I have declined a lot of invitations out for Christmas nights because I know that I won't be able to resist all those bad things once I've had a drink and my friends persuade me that a little bit won't hurt. I know they mean well, I've always been one of those people who enjoys my food Especially desserts...but I'm worried I will get the taste back for carbs and sugar - and my life is so much easier now I don't crave for them if you know what I mean. Next year I hope to be in a stronger place mentally... But this year I'm gonna try to not go off this new path too much:)

Reactions: 9 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should also add my next hba1c is scheduled for January as well lol bad timing really lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is one day out of 365, and I don't intend depriving myself or letting this diabetes control me. None of my family is diabetic so we will be having the usual meal that everyone enjoys. I will have 2 or 3 small roast potatoes cooked in lashings of goose fat, plus the peas and carrots. The other veg won't be carby ones. I will also have my lovely Black Farmers sausage wrapped in bacon rather than ordinary cereal filled sausages. For dessert I will have strawberries and cream whilst the others have their Yorkshire puds the way we always do, as a dessert with butter and sugar on. None of us like Christmas Cake or Christmas Pud, so that won't be a problem, although I will have one mince pie. I may be tempted to have a couple of After Eights, which I love. I only drink red wine anyway, but often quite a lt of it on Christmas Day! For snacks and nibbles, maybe cheese and a mayo dip and I may try a cream cracker beforehand to see how I go on with it. Are Silverskin picked onions allowed?

One thing for sure. My meter will not come out of its case until bedtime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people
C

chris lowe

I'm going to have a couple of treats but just a little bit of what I fancy - a couple of small roasties then lots of veg, small pud with lots of double cream, some mini mince pies. As soon as boxing day is over it will be back to the normal lchf

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Kimbo1962, try the chocolate brownies that lilliebet posted they are very nice........

Reactions: 2 people

laroc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really thick here :) but is there a reason you all go for goose fat other than the obvious taste and crispiness? I mean is there any diebetic reason for it or just personal taste ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We use goose fat every week for roasting, and always have done unless we have a change and use Duck fat. It's the taste and crispiness for us. Either one makes the best roasties.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Roast spuds, doing them in my actifry thingy, lots of fresh veg and a big bit of herring for me cos fish is my fave food ( I eat two tins of mackerel daily - no carbs and lots of omega 3). Homemade scotch broth to start and my wee treat some cake and custard for pud. I'm just making my own dinner to keep my diabetes in check. Can't wait, yummy....!:happy:

Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Kezzer, you mentioned sausages wrapped in bacon...sizzlingly scrummy sounding so I could have some of those for Xmas breakfast as well. I have got some good ideas and will be dreaming of countless roast potatoes in goose fat no doubt guarded by my DSN lol (that's a nightmare)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I like the sound of these brandy-soaked cherries as an alternative to Christmas pudding - I'm thinking, the brandy & cherries, with 85% chocolate chips or the Beyond Dark buttons, a tiny clementine, some grated fresh ginger, some grated Brazils and toasted flaked almonds, a sprinkling of nutmeg or cinnamon, and a spoonful of whipped cream or clotted cream. Indulgent but Christmas.
But how do I do or get brandy-soaked cherries? Are they sold in bottles, or home-prepared?

I saw what looked like a nice dessert from a Diabetes UK page, of blueberries in a lemon cordial jelly. If sugar-free cordial was used, that would work well., but I could do the same thing with the Hartleys sugar-free lemon and lime jelly and maybe use sparkling water to make it. I can't eat the famous family trifle that was my mum's speciality, and this might be a nice substitute.

Reactions: 5 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I just bought a tin of cherries in light syrup, ad thats the only way they come, then rinsed them off, put them in a bowl and covered with brandy for a few days.

Reactions: 8 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I like the sound of these brandy-soaked cherries as an alternative to Christmas pudding - I'm thinking, the brandy & cherries, with 85% chocolate chips or the Beyond Dark buttons, a tiny clementine, some grated fresh ginger, some grated Brazils and toasted flaked almonds, a sprinkling of nutmeg or cinnamon, and a spoonful of whipped cream or clotted cream. Indulgent but Christmas.
But how do I do or get brandy-soaked cherries? Are they sold in bottles, or home-prepared?

I saw what looked like a nice dessert from a Diabetes UK page, of blueberries in a lemon cordial jelly. If sugar-free cordial was used, that would work well., but I could do the same thing with the Hartleys sugar-free lemon and lime jelly and maybe use sparkling water to make it. I can't eat the famous family trifle that was my mum's speciality, and this might be a nice substitute.
I like the sound of those cherries in brandy but I stopped all alcohol after diagnosis, any suggestions?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided that I will only indulge on Christmas Day. Will definitely have some roast potatoes and stuffing made with sausage meat. I'm not too fussed about sweet things since I started LCHF, I may have one minced pie and my sister has offered to make what she calls her diabetic trifle. She uses berries - doesn't use any sponge makes her own Custard and lashings of cream and sugar free jelly.

Whist there will be lots of other naughty things around, I'll combated that by buying lots of different cheeses and nuts in their shells and out...so that their will be plenty of good low carb foods around that I can nibble on when they start on the tins of quality streets.

I have to be honest and say I am worried by Christmas and all that food, as it will be the first year since I've been diagnosed when I am in control of my diabetes, hence I have declined a lot of invitations out for Christmas nights because I know that I won't be able to resist all those bad things once I've had a drink and my friends persuade me that a little bit won't hurt. I know they mean well, I've always been one of those people who enjoys my food Especially desserts...but I'm worried I will get the taste back for carbs and sugar - and my life is so much easier now I don't crave for them if you know what I mean. Next year I hope to be in a stronger place mentally... But this year I'm gonna try to not go off this new path too much:)

Any chance of getting that trifle recipe? I ❤️trifle!!!