Frustrated with Metformin

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never eat bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or cereal (well, almost never), and I eat really well. Never hungry, and actually losing a little weight.

It is all about choices. Giving up carbs just means you replace them with other stuff, like masses of veg, sensible portions of meat, fish, eggs, cheese, tofu or quorn. You can have small portions of berries, 70% dark choc...

For example
Breakfast - berries and Greek yoghurt
Snack- 2 squares 70% choc
Lunch- cheese slices, salad, cherry toms, chopped chorizo, avocado, diced feta and olives
Snack- coffee with cream
Dinner- chicken in lemon and garlic, with huge portions of green veg, peppers, and then cheese or more berries to follow.

Some of us are finding that adding more fat (like in the yog and as cream in coffee and berries) is actually helping weight loss, because we have cut back so well on the carbs.

@Scandichic has been eating this way since last Xmas, and has lost nearly 4 stone.

One of the easiest ways of discovering a great list of delicious and filling things you can eat is to buy the New Atkins diet book (eat well AND lose weight). Alternatively, visit the What Did You Eat Today Low Carb thread on here. I actually think I'm enjoying my food better than ever before, now I'm not wasting intake on carbs.

Hopefully see you there!

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have now stopped eating regular bread completely and switched to Livlife after recommendations from other users of this forum. This bread comes in very small loaves and very small slices however the carb content is under 4g per slice. I only have two slices of this at lunchtime and consequently I'm starving until over 6 hours later when at my evening meal I will eat no more than two egg sized boiled potatoes with meat of some description and some cabbage and carrots. Then I eat nothing else until morning when it's sometimes eggs or cereal (without sugar) for breakfast. I honestly don't know how I can cut anymore carbs from my diet unless I virtually stop eating. I'm not even having my apple at lunchtime now, I'm over a stone underweight and constantly hungry. If anyone can suggest anything which does not involve starving myself to death then I would be really grateful

Hi Shelly,
Just some ideas for you re the food, as we often make a 'pack up'.

Firstly, you say you do not like tuna, you maybe don't but what do you have it with. Tuna (tinned) comes in Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Spring Water & Brine. they all taste different. Normally you would drain the fluid off place in a bowl and add a large Dollop of Mayo and even some chopped onions and mix all together. Try it, you may like it. Do you have any fish? they all taste very different and they are all quick & easy to cook

There is also a massive array of veggies you can have which all taste different, from above the ground, or some lovely swede mashed with lot of butter & pepper is lovely & very filling

I also have either Ryvita or Ryvita Crackerbreads, spread with Philadelphia Full Fat Cheese, with Tuna on Top or Thick Cut Ham on top or you could choose any meat. in a separate box we have Olives pitted 'fresh' large & small stuffed with all sorts. and a chopped tomato. You could probably still have you LuvLife bread but increase the filling.

As for the breakfast, I don't or didn't like it but I have managed to get on with the Full Fat Yogurt watered down slightly with a couple of teaspoons of milk, sprinkle Flaxseed & Granola, (couldn't have a full portion) and berries, other days mushroom omelette, bacon & eggs, poached eggs,
scrambled eggs, sprinkled again with flaxseed.
Neil

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know cornflakes not the best choice for breakfast but I don't have any sugar or anything with them. The livlife bread are tiny slices and under 4g of carbs per slice - I hate tuna and a sandwich is most convenient for lunch at work. Given that I didn't even have an apple today I'm well p****ed off. The only carbs I had at tea were two small potatoes and I took 4 units of insulin but BS was 10.3 after 2 hours. Guess I need to do more readings and contact diabetic nurse for advice.
yes get back to the nurse, this isn't working for you. you may need a different insulin regimen which may include a base insulin.. do you keep a food, BG and insulin diary, so you have the data to show her?
in the interim, you can eat normal protein and higher fats to replace the carb energy, eggs tomato and sausages for breakfast instead of cereal

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm keeping a diary for the next week. Had porridge today and can tolerate that ok - which is just as well as it kept me going until I grabbed my (very small livlife bread with ham) sandwich. I don't get a lunch break as I only work part time so a sandwich is the most convenient thing I can eat. I don't eat fish of any kind nor tofu quorn or mayonnaise. I do not want to lose weight as I only weigh just over 8 stone. So apart from what I've already mentioned above I had some lamb, carrots, cabbage and a small potato for my evening meal. Let's see what BS is at 9pm .......

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it is your choice - adjust your eating habits, or find it hard going.

I don't see any of your issues as insurmountable. It just takes a change in thinking.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm keeping a diary for the next week. Had porridge today and can tolerate that ok - which is just as well as it kept me going until I grabbed my (very small livlife bread with ham) sandwich. I don't get a lunch break as I only work part time so a sandwich is the most convenient thing I can eat. I don't eat fish of any kind nor tofu quorn or mayonnaise. I do not want to lose weight as I only weigh just over 8 stone. So apart from what I've already mentioned above I had some lamb, carrots, cabbage and a small potato for my evening meal. Let's see what BS is at 9pm .......

It can be so frustrating and the fact that often or not it isn't consistent through out the week.

IMO the focus should be getting and keeping ones BS down to normal levels. Keeping a good diary and glucose reading diary is imperative.

I believe over 30% of people get some sort of cramps using metformin. Have you tried the SR as that helps many who can't stomach ( pun intended ) the regular release.

Also trying insulin may be a good idea. Insulin has worked wonders for me.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I know cornflakes not the best choice for breakfast but I don't have any sugar or anything with them. The livlife bread are tiny slices and under 4g of carbs per slice - I hate tuna and a sandwich is most convenient for lunch at work. Given that I didn't even have an apple today I'm well p****ed off. The only carbs I had at tea were two small potatoes and I took 4 units of insulin but BS was 10.3 after 2 hours. Guess I need to do more readings and contact diabetic nurse for advice.
Or alternatively get rid of the starchy carbs! Why not try it for a week. Keep a diary and take bs levels one hour then 2 hours after food. Well be amazed if it doesn't go down significantly within a week! Good luck!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have now stopped eating regular bread completely and switched to Livlife after recommendations from other users of this forum. This bread comes in very small loaves and very small slices however the carb content is under 4g per slice. I only have two slices of this at lunchtime and consequently I'm starving until over 6 hours later when at my evening meal I will eat no more than two egg sized boiled potatoes with meat of some description and some cabbage and carrots. Then I eat nothing else until morning when it's sometimes eggs or cereal (without sugar) for breakfast. I honestly don't know how I can cut anymore carbs from my diet unless I virtually stop eating. I'm not even having my apple at lunchtime now, I'm over a stone underweight and constantly hungry. If anyone can suggest anything which does not involve starving myself to death then I would be really grateful
Sorry just seen this post.
How about bacon and eggs for brekkie, salmon and asparagus or a big Greek salad or mini sausages, pieces of cheese, tomatoes, avocado for lunch. Peanuts for a snack then meat and veggies or chilli with no rice but sour cream and grated cheese followed by 2 squares of Tescos 85% choccie?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too think you need to cut down on carbs, and up your (good) fats and protein intake to replace them - you need to increase these to avoid losing weight and keep up your energy levels. Metformin and starchy carbs can often seriously disagree with each other, so the solution is (partly!) in your own hands. See here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php and scroll down to see Side Effects.

Slow release metformin and sometimes even a change of brand can often help avoid problems. My pharmacist was able to arrange to change my prescriptions for me.

Robbity

Neo88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the link between amount of carbs and stomach issues. I went onto the SR version quite quickly due to my stomach, but even now I can have a couple of days a month where it disagrees with me! It is certainly worse if I know I have had quite a high carb day.
Neo88

Jane54

If the metformin is causing such problems, it may be that you have an underlying stomach problem. I was on omeprazole for stomach cramps and bloating but my doctor wanted to take me off them When I refused she sent me for tests and it turns out I have a hiatus hernia which the metformin aggravates. The omeprazole helps considerably and I can increase the dose if I have a bad attack.

jerryatric

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Have NO dislikes life is what you make it
I was on ordinary Metformin for a bout 6 months and had problems . The G.P. that I was with at that time did not want to know when I complained .I then signed up with a new practice and was immediately changed to S.R this was over 10 years ago and I am pleased to say that I have had no problem since. My deepest sympathy to all you poor fellow diabetics that have these problems

ianmi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who take themselves too seriously!
I was diagnosed in June whilst in hospital and took Metformin for a week then had hideous diarrhoea and was then put on Saxagliptin. No problems since then.

desaw

I am completely fed up with diabetes. I am on 3 x 1gramme metformin a day along with 160 mg gliclazide x2 a day and 75 mg aspirin along with my other drugs.
Just had acute diaharhea for past two weeks. Take immodium on prescription to ease the situation only last time this week it did not work.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Metformin...should be rebranded as Metfartin lol. Anyway on a serious note I was on 2000 mg of it since 2010. I had extensive bowel surgery in 2009 and had half of my colon removed due to gangrene and septicemia (lucky to be here). Anyway I got terribly ill and no one picked up on side effects, not even my GP. Anyone suffering long term side effects should insist to come off it like I did and get alternative meds. They prescribe Metformin as it is cheap as chips

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you gave it a month and I think that's long enough to settle
metformin is cheap, but it's also very good...it's well worth an effort to get it to work for a month..the problem is they want to prescribe the cheapest of cheap ...the sr is only a couple of pennies a box more, people should get the gp to give slow release

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin SR (or MR) and have regular bouts of diarrhea but also have IBS, and gastric reflux/hiatus hernia so take medication for that! The GP did not feel the Metformin had anything to do with the diarrhea but I do so I miss a tablet when having a bout of it and find my stomach improves. So will now also try the less carbs too and see if that helps.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin SR (or MR) and have regular bouts of diarrhea but also have IBS, and gastric reflux/hiatus hernia so take medication for that! The GP did not feel the Metformin had anything to do with the diarrhea but I do so I miss a tablet when having a bout of it and find my stomach improves. So will now also try the less carbs too and see if that helps.
I put brick/s under the head of the bed to get a 4" slope to the foot, this is enough to relieve night symptoms of the hernia
did I say it ok to understand?

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put brick/s under the head of the bed to get a 4" slope to the foot, this is enough to relieve night symptoms of the hernia
did I say it ok to understand?
Yes, when I bought a new bed two years ago I bought an adjustable one which helped a lot as when having problems can raise head.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started my Diabetic Nurse told me to take the metformin gradually because of the diarrhoea issue. The first week 1 tablet a day, second week 2 per day and then finally 3 per day in third week. Each increased dose caused me a couple of uncomfortable days but by the end of each week I was OK so that aspect of the metformin hasn't been a problem so long as I remember to take them with a meal.