Newby needing help

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

After a bit of advice!

My morning sugars tend to be on the high side around 10-12 so I am giving a correction dose, along with my novo rapid for my brekkie. My two hour reading is good, but an hour after that I'm heading into hypo land! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks guys

Beckie

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Beckie,
It is possible that you don't actually need to have the correction dose to bring your readings down

If you don't take any long-acting insulin at night, I would suggest you don't take the correction dose at all in the morning, as the higher reading might just be what is known as the dawn phenomenon. This is a natural reaction, caused by the body giving you a boost as you wake up.
It is explained here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

If that isn't what is causing the high reading, are you also on a long-acting insulin taken at night?
If so, try a slight increase of that. It will keep you lower overnight so that you don't need the extra correction dose in the morning. Generally, the doc's reckon on an increase of no more than 10% at a time, and to leave a few days between each increase to see what the effect is.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Before you do any increasing of basal insulin please check your blood sugar a couple of times in the night to make sure you are not dropping into hypo and then getting a liver dump to bring your sugars up.

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply, my long acting is lantus which I have in a morning as it fits better with my routine.

Not thought about night time hypos I will do some testing through the night and see if that sheds any light on it!

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should also add without the correction my levels are staying at 10 ish two hours after breakfast, just in case this helps. My correction ratio is 1 unit to 3 mmol :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may be relying too much on correction doses which should only be needed very occasionally. It looks like your Basal may need adjusting and then the Bolus ratio. There are various ways to adjust and check the Basal one of which is to fast for few hours and check whether your blood sugar goes up or down having had only the Basal.

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Thanks for the advice, I have tried the fasting test and without food I stay stable but in the high 7's which seems to me that my lantus may need increasing slightly? It's all new as only been diagnose three weeks so I know it may take a while to settle but I want to start as I mean to go on if you know what I mean!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Beckie, given your fasting test results, it does sound as though your insulin amounts are slightly out. If you have only been diagnosed for three weeks, are you still in the honeymoon period? This might affect how you adjust your doses.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having offered advice above but now reading that you've only been diagnosed for 3 weeks, I'd probably say that things aren't as bad as they look. You do need to reduce the hypos in the day, but I don't think that your readings being around 10 are hugely bad. I'd run with that, without any correction doses and just see how things are at your next appointment. That's presuming you have one in the next few months, of course.

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks both I do have an appointment coming up so if you think it's best to run with it I will do :)

Will let you know how I get on and thanks again

Beckie