Frustrated with Metformin

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am on Metformin SR (or MR) and have regular bouts of diarrhea but also have IBS, and gastric reflux/hiatus hernia so take medication for that! The GP did not feel the Metformin had anything to do with the diarrhea but I do so I miss a tablet when having a bout of it and find my stomach improves. So will now also try the less carbs too and see if that helps.
I don't think anyone with digestive problems should be on Metformin. It is good for those not blessed with these issues but since being on insulin I've never felt better so might be something in that

Reactions: 2 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had nothing but problems on Metformin. Was changed to MR at 1500mg which really caused me pain. I also suffer gastric reflux and ibs and have struggled with most oral diabetic meds. Found gliclazide to be the worst, was up most nights in agony. Only rake 500mg Mr now once a day with novamix 30 twice. Even the one Metformin gives me trouble but it's tolerable for the benefits it gives

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't take the gliclazide which I was given for the first weeks. It gave me headache as bad as a migraine and I was told to stop taking it

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I couldn't take the gliclazide which I was given for the first weeks. It gave me headache as bad as a migraine and I was told to stop taking it

Didn't find sitagliptin much better either. DN reckoned you should loose weight on it but I gained a stone. Felt so sick too

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I don't think anyone with digestive problems should be on Metformin. It is good for those not blessed with these issues but since being on insulin I've never felt better so might be something in that
@eddie1969

I agree, the only negative for me on insulin besides the occasional hypo is if one is not exercising you can pack on the weight if you don't cut back on your food. Otherwise like you I feel almost normal

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh your not alone I had problems for 2 years until they decided I was type 1 and metformin was never going to do what it's ment to it made my life unbearable for ages to the point of not going out due to the problems it gave me hope you get sorted
I'm using Metformin SR with Apidra and Humulin I. I'm on 5X500mg per day and the tablets can still cause slight problems. Started tablets after doing DAFNE in Sept 2013 as I am extremely insulin resistant. I'm type 1.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
be aware that max dose is 2000 on sr and 2500 on normal but it's up to your Dr to know what dose is for you. if you are very IR, have you tried a Low carb way of eating? it helps T2 with their IR