Holidays Abroad

junkieman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who judge you before knowing you....( I'm a double below the knee amputee)
Hi All,

Would appreciate some help and advice here......I am intending to go abroad for the first time in 16 years ( just got divorced, and now have a lovely new partner)
In that time, I have lost both legs, both below the knee. I am a type 1 diabetic, injecting 4 times a day.
What do you take with you? Is it easy to get holiday insurance? Do you take a letter from your GP? I have a pair of shower/ swimming legs that I intend to take, and am quite fit and strong.

Look forward to comments

Cheers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Although you probably won't get asked to show it it's always wise to get a letter from your gp to say you have diabetes and need to carry medical supplies with you, if the gp surgery charges then ask your DSN or Consultant to write one for you, as a rule they don't charge.

Holiday insurance should be fine, just ring around for the best policy and quote. Try and split your insulin supplies between yourself and you partner, that way if one bag goes missing you have some to tide you over, also take a copy off your repeat prescription so that you can pass this over to a Dr or Pharmacy should you need anything whilst over there.

It's also a good idea to use Frio wallets if your going to somewhere where the temperature is hot, also be aware that in hot climates insulin is absorbed faster so there's the possibility that you might have more hypo's, so best check your bg more often in the first few days just to be sure, above all else have a great time.

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

I was diagnosed n April this year, since then I have been to Barcelona, Paris and Budapest and am due to go to Germany at the end of the year!! :)
I usually pack double and split it between myself and the wifes luggage and keep a blood meter on the plane as flying stresses me out!!..hate it!! lol.. so far have never been asked to see my docs letter although I do have one and have never been stopped for my insulin...Frio wallets are good as mentioned above, they last around 2-3 days by which time you can take advantage of the minibar!! :)...wouldn't worry too much, just go have a blast :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndyBird

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For many years I was not asked to produce my letter. Didn't have one when I went through Heathrow Terminal 2 in July and after being patted down six times I thought they were going to get the rubber gloves out!
Take a letter from your GP.