Recent slip into bad habits has put my levels up

Robert123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed 5 years ago at 40 however got my levels under control very quickly through diet, exercise. HBA1C was 5.8 after 10 months ...levels were fantastic. I also went through the horrid blurred vision.....i never wore glasses in my life however i found myself with +2 then +4 then +6 !! after 3 months went back though the lenses ending up not having glasses at all It was not a nice time as i was scarred. After then i felt great....However year I have slipped. Too much wine, too much eating rubbish and back to old ways has once again brought on high Bg. 5 Days ago i started a new diet , been running every day and have halved my readings....last reading after exercise was 6.2 ...starving is 10.7 not good enough yet but great effort as they were 18.

So here I am again , wearing glasses as my eyes have filled up with fluid just before Christmas levels are coming into control ( thank god)...and i actually feel great. I am in fact truly and sincerely gutted......as I have let my family and myself down....however for ALL of you who lapse....its NOT too late to get your BG under control.....

Im sorry to let you all down who have done a great job of being in control......however once back in control I am going to stay there....promise......BTW the blurry eye thing is horrid !!!!!!!! but a reminder of what an idiot i have been....... role on low Bg and roll of having my vision back with no glasses.

'You only get out what you put in'

Any comments thoughts welcomed....

Aim:

Starving 5.0

HBA1C 5.5 - 6.5

cheers Robert

Reactions: 7 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robert123

You are not the first and will not be the last to fall off that particular horse.

Should you be interested to do so, you can read all about my own similar experience and how I managed to climb back on my own horse, here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ind...-all-that---personal-diary.53350/#post-635415

Complacency is a real trap for us all and diabetes is a very patient and sneaky adversary, who knows just how to exploit our weaknesses. If our guard is lowered.

The important thing is you now want to get on top of things again.

That's half the battle won.

I wish you the best for the rest of it and look forward to hearing more of your story.

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on re-motivating yourself Robert. What happened to knock you off your horse? Was it complacency or something outside your control?

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for acknowledging that you need to change again. I think that is what is so useful about this site. It's hard sometimes to think that this is it now but reading about others' struggles helps refocus me and keep me motivated. Keep going and you'll soon be back to the previous figures.

Reactions: 5 people

Robert123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robert123

You are not the first and will not be the last to fall off that particular horse.

Should you be interested to do so, you can read all about my own similar experience and how I managed to climb back on my own horse, here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/Diabetes,-life-and-all-that---personal-diary.53350/#post-635415

Complacency is a real trap for us all and diabetes is a very patient and sneaky adversary, who knows just how to exploit our weaknesses. If our guard is lowered.

The important thing is you now want to get on top of things again.

That's half the battle won.

I wish you the best for the rest of it and look forward to hearing more of your story.

Pavlos
Pavlos, your comments are appreciated.......i will update as i progress....

Reactions: 2 people

Robert123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on re-motivating yourself Robert. What happened to knock you off your horse? Was it complacency or something outside your control?
It was laziness , stress from work and a a bit from home.....also I forgot how much i loved red wine and maltesers and.........:(

Reactions: 9 people

Robert123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done for acknowledging that you need to change again. I think that is what is so useful about this site. It's hard sometimes to think that this is it now but reading about others' struggles helps refocus me and keep me motivated. Keep going and you'll soon be back to the previous figures.
very true words thank you...... will keep you informed...thanks Robert

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let's be honest. At times all of us will fall off the horse. Some of us are able to climb on straight away, some of us not.

Well done you for re motivating yourself. I wish you every success.

I have found keeping contact on this forum helps me no end so my advice would be to keep posting. You may find it benefits you too.

Reactions: 7 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi Robert welcome glad you have took the bull by the horns good for you,I think everyone has a slip up I know I do as I am only human,I last week nearly ate a whole box of malteasers felt like one greedy image.jpgDidn't feel guilty but new I had been stupid but boy was they nice.
Keep well and Goodluck on your new journey.

Reactions: 4 people

Robert123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick update.........so its been a week since blood was 18 and eyes were ok. My blood now is under 8.7 and coming down that's in 5 days and I am so over the moon it is....shortly i will be back to 5.5 - 6.5.

However.......the blurred eyes have gone mad....I have gone through 3 or 4 sets of lens's.... I now cannot see clearly without glasses 100% of the time... all new lenses made up are useless and my old ones 5 years ago are ok thank god.

Everyday they get worse. Now, i know they will go back to normal in 4 - 5 weeks...however its absolutely horrible and its such a scary time....before i had almost perfect vision without glasses. But its just a waiting game now...keep sugar down, running most days ...feel great but cant bloody see....now affects my driving...

Has anyone here had the same as me ?..............BTW my experiences with my blurred eyes is like a huge curve as you go up they get worse until you get to the top ( most blurred) the on the way down when water is released ( this happens quicker than filling up ) you get your sight back .....however this take such a long time..... :( :( :(

i may need a little support at this time..... as its so scary....BTW I have had my eyes checked and no issues at all........

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar changes does effect your eyesight a lot. I was 16 and I had horrible problem with my eyes but they have got slightly better than what they were before. With time it will settle down.

PSS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robert123

Robert

Stay positive and keep up the good work. It might all sound hard work but remember it is all feasible.

Wishing you all the best.

PSS

K

Kat100

Hi Robert , I never think any of this is easy ,,not really ....and there maybe more people who have lapse moments than we think ....not just refering to our forum , but in general ...it is a lot to,cope with at times ....
You will,get things under control again ....it is good to share and get support .... Take care ..Kat

K

Kat100

Just a quick update.........so its been a week since blood was 18 and eyes were ok. My blood now is under 8.7 and coming down that's in 5 days and I am so over the moon it is....shortly i will be back to 5.5 - 6.5.

However.......the blurred eyes have gone mad....I have gone through 3 or 4 sets of lens's.... I now cannot see clearly without glasses 100% of the time... all new lenses made up are useless and my old ones 5 years ago are ok thank god.

Everyday they get worse. Now, i know they will go back to normal in 4 - 5 weeks...however its absolutely horrible and its such a scary time....before i had almost perfect vision without glasses. But its just a waiting game now...keep sugar down, running most days ...feel great but cant bloody see....now affects my driving...

Has anyone here had the same as me ?..............BTW my experiences with my blurred eyes is like a huge curve as you go up they get worse until you get to the top ( most blurred) the on the way down when water is released ( this happens quicker than filling up ) you get your sight back .....however this take such a long time..... :( :( :(

i may need a little support at this time..... as its so scary....BTW I have had my eyes checked and no issues at all........
robert , my eye exam was fine ,,but blurred vision is an on going problem ....I think for me the damage was done before being diagnosed ....:(

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
robert , my eye exam was fine ,,but blurred vision is an on going problem ....I think for me the damage was done before being diagnosed ....:(
Hi just wanted to give a quick update....its been 2 weeks since I took control bs down to under 10s I had a 4.8 from running which I have been doing for 2 weeks...morning is about 7 which is great from 18......however my eyes are now fully blurred...I have bought glasses and have +2 and +3 and never need glasses.....cannot see clear without them. So currently feel **** cause I can't see. ..I wish I could ...eyes checked no issues.

Can I please ask anyone and everyone how long it was until their site came back ...I need some reassurance from everyone....:( thanks :(

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just wanted to give a quick update....its been 2 weeks since I took control bs down to under 10s I had a 4.8 from running which I have been doing for 2 weeks...morning is about 7 which is great from 18......however my eyes are now fully blurred...I have bought glasses and have +2 and +3 and never need glasses.....cannot see clear without them. So currently feel **** cause I can't see. ..I wish I could ...eyes checked no issues.

Can I please ask anyone and everyone how long it was until their site came back ...I need some reassurance from everyone....:( thanks :(
Btw thank you all for your kind words just in case I forget

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Robert, is it possible that some part of your eye problems are due to changes that come about with middle age - our lenses lose some of their flexibility and this can usually affect our closer vision?

Have a look here for more details.

Our eyes are very precious things and anything amiss with them can be very scary...

Robbity