carbs?

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi im wondering what people think are the best carbs to have or not have?

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi im wondering what people think are the best carbs to have or not have?
In my case NON!
This last couple of weeks I've been experimenting by not having bread, pasta, rice, cereals, cakes, biscuits, and of course the dreaded potatoes and found that my levels have really dropped and are leveling out nicely.
This morning I started with a 6.7, had brekky of 4 rashers of bacon and 2 eggs scrambled + 1 cup of tea with a sweetener.
2 hrs later 7.2 .
Before midday meal 5.7 then had a tin of soup followed by a low fat yoghurt and cup of tea with sweetener.
2 hrs later 8.5
Before tea 5.9 then had 2 x 1/4lb burgers + handful of shredded lettuce and carrot mix and yoghurt with Cayenne pepper added. 1/2 hr later I had a 30g bag of Pork Crunchies which has no carbs and only a trace sugar.
2 hrs later 6.1
I spent 3 hrs today looking at every packet, bottle, carton, bag and box that Asda have on their shelves just looking for non - 5g carbs products.
Hope this helps in some way.:)

Reactions: 2 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it certainly does help. I like the sound of your days menu. Iam finding that I don't really want the carbs (first time ever) and I keep reading that you have to have a certain amount which im struggling with. Admittedly im only about 8 weeks in, so iam a novice. My blood sugars were high and im down to 5-8 still trying to stabilise, still adjusting meds.

I was reading your thread earlier about Christmas as I was concerned about that too and have already found some alternatives, so thanks again for pre empting my next question lol.:happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it certainly does help. I like the sound of your days menu. Iam finding that I don't really want the carbs (first time ever) and I keep reading that you have to have a certain amount which im struggling with. Admittedly im only about 8 weeks in, so iam a novice. My blood sugars were high and im down to 5-8 still trying to stabilise, still adjusting meds.

I was reading your thread earlier about Christmas as I was concerned about that too and have already found some alternatives, so thanks again for pre empting my next question lol.:happy:

Hi and welcome!

You can't really avoid carbs. They are in all fruit and veg. Even meat digests to produce small amounts of glucose. Fat produces miniscule amounts, virtually nil.

So unless you live on fats and oils, you'll be getting some carbs.

Eating 4-5 portions of non root veg and a 'normal' amount of protein food (meat, fish, cheese, tofu, eggs, quorn) will supply you will all the carbs you could possibly need. :)
Claims that we need carbs 'for energy' are based on basic misunderstanding of how adaptable our bodies are, and how well the human body does in ketosis.:happy:

Of course, you can eat as many g of carbs as you want/like, but the amount you 'need' is actually very small.

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Here's something for you if you like cauliflower / broccoli cheese which I was told about on here. Boil some cauliflower and or Broccoli until soft.
Place in a dish. Mix a tub of full fat Philly and a good handful of cheese in a pan and warm through until runny, add a little milk to thin if necessary. Pour over the C /Broccoli and place in oven until cheese sauce starts to brown.......................delish............and yes I did say FULL FAT PHILLY. Now wash this down with a nice cup of coffee made with double cream. Believe it or not.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Only by testing before a meal and 2 hours after a meal will you be able to work out how many carbs you personally can have. We are all different in how much we can cope with. We are all at different stages of this journey, on different medications, and have different amounts of natural insulin that works properly. You can go as low as you wish. Personally I eat up to 60g a day.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome!

You can't really avoid carbs. They are in all fruit and veg. Even meat digests to produce small amounts of glucose. Fat produces miniscule amounts, virtually nil.

So unless you live on fats and oils, you'll be getting some carbs.

Eating 4-5 portions of non root veg and a 'normal' amount of protein food (meat, fish, cheese, tofu, eggs, quorn) will supply you will all the carbs you could possibly need. :)
Claims that we need carbs 'for energy' are based on basic misunderstanding of how adaptable our bodies are, and how well the human body does in ketosis.:happy:

Of course, you can eat as many g of carbs as you want/like, but the amount you 'need' is actually very small.[/

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's so informative, Ive learnt so much in about 20 minutes on this site than I have trawling the net getting confused. thank you Brunneria.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here's something for you if you like cauliflower / broccoli cheese which I was told about on here. Boil some cauliflower and or Broccoli until soft.
Place in a dish. Mix a tub of full fat Philly and a good handful of cheese in a pan and warm through until runny, add a little milk to thin if necessary. Pour over the C /Broccoli and place in oven until cheese sauce starts to brown.......................delish............and yes I did say FULL FAT PHILLY. Now wash this down with a nice cup of coffee made with double cream. Believe it or not.:)

Yep that will suit me, ill try it soon, much appreciated Adrian.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome,

Only by testing before a meal and 2 hours after a meal will you be able to work out how many carbs you personally can have. We are all different in how much we can cope with. We are all at different stages of this journey, on different medications, and have different amounts of natural insulin that works properly. You can go as low as you wish. Personally I eat up to 60g a day.

Hi
Im doing this at the moment whilst stabilising,Ive been asked to do it before and after 2 meals and alternate morning and late pm. I must admit ive already noticed how it fluctuates. Thank you for your advice so helpful.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower Cheese is one of my mainstays especially if I have to take a meal to work and I add bacon or ham to it as added protein. But I am still testing foods. I can`t eat porridge but yesterday I had my first Big Mac in months and I was 6.7 after 2 hours. I have read somewhere about net carbs, the ratio between carbs and protein in a meal. Perhaps this something for me to look into. Porridge having more carb than protein where as a Big Mac has two bergers and cheese to outweigh the carbs in the bun. If this is my answer then I think I'm very lucky. So I do hope yesterday wasn't a fluke.

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower Cheese is one of my mainstays especially if I have to take a meal to work and I add bacon or ham to it as added protein. But I am still testing foods. I can`t eat porridge but yesterday I had my first Big Mac in months and I was 6.7 after 2 hours. I have read somewhere about net carbs, the ratio between carbs and protein in a meal. Perhaps this something for me to look into. Porridge having more carb than protein where as a Big Mac has two bergers and cheese to outweigh the carbs in the bun. If this is my answer then I think I'm very lucky. So I do hope yesterday wasn't a fluke.
DOH!! Forgot about the bacon, probably the most important bit of the recipe. Thanks for reminding me Shezy.;)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@adrian207 Just out of idle curiosity how many carbs in your can of soup??

Robbity
:oops::oops::oops::oops: 7.4 with sugars of 2.3........................but in my defence and I will take this to court, I did spill some when opening the can so I put that down to lost carbs. Almost like shaking a pasty and getting rid of all the loose flakey pastry, those are the calories, so hence a pasty with no calories. :D:D

OK ok you win, I admit I didn't read the back of the can but these were bought a couple of weeks ago when I didn't know anything about carb counting.:oops::oops::angelic:
handcuff smiley.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to do some cooking with almond flour as it is very low in carbs. Not over struck on coconut flour but perhaps a mix of the two would be OK.

I make flour less quiches. I line sandwich tins with foil or baking parchment and then make a "crust" laying ham over the lining and up the sandwich tin sides and then filled up the ham case with cooked peppers and spring onions and then grated cheese. Finally topped it with three beaten eggs. Baked for about 25 minutes. Some of the eggs does seep through the ham, but I leave pouring in the egg until seconds before it's ready to go in the oven. I usually make two at the same time and then cut each in half which gives me four yummy low carb lunches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm going to do some cooking with almond flour as it is very low in carbs. Not over struck on coconut flour but perhaps a mix of the two would be OK.

I make flour less quiches. I line sandwich tins with foil or baking parchment and then make a "crust" laying ham over the lining and up the sandwich tin sides and then filled up the ham case with cooked peppers and spring onions and then grated cheese. Finally topped it with three beaten eggs. Baked for about 25 minutes. Some of the eggs does seep through the ham, but I leave pouring in the egg until seconds before it's ready to go in the oven. I usually make two at the same time and then cut each in half which gives me four yummy low carb lunches.

That's fantastic, Im going to be cooking like crazy to try all the new recipes ive been given, brilliant as I was finding myself becoming repetitive. thank you for posting this Shezy:)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

OMG, I've just drooled over my keyboard. Sounds great. :)

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can add any filling like a proper quiche - just don't use wafer thin ham or it really will seep through.