carbs?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:oops::oops::oops::oops: 7.4 with sugars of 2.3........................but in my defence and I will take this to court, I did spill some when opening the can so I put that down to lost carbs. Almost like shaking a pasty and getting rid of all the loose flakey pastry, those are the calories, so hence a pasty with no calories. :D:D

OK ok you win, I admit I didn't read the back of the can but these were bought a couple of weeks ago when I didn't know anything about carb counting.:oops::oops::angelic:
View attachment 9151
@adrian207 - OK that's a relief then :p as I thought maybe you'd found some magic miracle low carb soup that had missed my beady eyed scrutiny! I was befuddled when initially low carbing as some labels quoted daft information for minute portions (e.f/g 1/4 small can) that looked OK until you checked on the carb values for normal size portions...

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@adrian207 - OK that's a relief then :p as I thought maybe you'd found some magic miracle low carb soup that had missed my beady eyed scrutiny! I was befuddled when initially low carbing as some labels quoted daft information for minute portions (e.f/g 1/4 small can) that looked OK until you checked on the carb values for normal size portions...

Robbity
The carb figure shown was for a full can thankfully, cos I couldn't imagine me eating just half a can. I am on the lookout now for an alternative quick meal or snack to replace the soup. Spent 3 hours yesterday in Asda scrutinising every product that they sold, eventually putting 99.9% back on the shelves. What I did find were some Scottish beef 1/4 pounders with NIL Carbs and TRACE sugar. Also although just slightly higher than I would like, Cod in butter / parsley sauce. You know the boil in the bag things. They were shown as having 6.2g Carbs but 2.3g sugar per bag, 4 in a box so I got some to try.:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make your own soup - you can use cream and stock with low carb stuff like spinach or mushrooms.

The long winded way is to save a chicken carcass or bones and skin from drumsticks, etc to make stock then add veggies of choice, and either double or sour cream and whizz it all up with a blender. Quick way is to use a stock cube, cook the veggies, then add cream and then whizz it. With the first way I batch up for later, the second way is fairly quick and (some) can be used immediately. Cream and jelly from stock act as thickeners instead of the flour etc in the canned soups.

I add some grated cheese to my spinach soup, and usually save a bit of chicken meat to use in the mushroom one.

Robbity

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make your own soup - you can use cream and stock with low carb stuff like spinach or mushrooms.

The long winded way is to save a chicken carcass or bones and skin from drumsticks, etc to make stock then add veggies of choice, and either double or sour cream and whizz it all up with a blender. Quick way is to use a stock cube, cook the veggies, then add cream and then whizz it. With the first way I batch up for later, the second way is fairly quick and (some) can be used immediately. Cream and jelly from stock act as thickeners instead of the flour etc in the canned soups.

I add some grated cheese to my spinach soup, and usually save a bit of chicken meat to use in the mushroom one.

Robbity
WOW !! Check out jamie Oliver here...................top man. Looking at that it looks as if it could be within my capabilities, so I'm going to get some stock and cream etc tomorrow and give it a go. Can I just ask, how long (should I make a good sized pan full) will it last if refrigerated?.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've kept it a week as I generally get max 3-4 portions out of my stock, but it should also be Ok to freeze too.

It should be within most people's capabilities really as it's fairly idiot proof. My mum was an excellent cook but she never taught me and I had to fend for my ignorant self or starve when I got married. If you have to eat your mistakes, you quickly learn not to make them under those circumstances! :eek:

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've kept it a week as I generally get max 3-4 portions out of my stock, but it should also be Ok to freeze too.

It should be within most people's capabilities really as it's fairly idiot proof. My mum was an excellent cook but she never taught me and I had to fend for my ignorant self or starve when I got married. If you have to eat your mistakes, you quickly learn not to make them under those circumstances! :eek:

Robbity

I thought the idea of getting married was so the wife did all the cooking, cleaning, ironing, brewing up, nursing, shopping etc, all in her own time after work.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now sits back and waits for a mob reaction.:D:D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Errm I'll sit on my hands and bite my tongue and disappoint you by not rising to the bait.:D

Robbity

PS But I;ll also not post any more soup suggestions for you either....

snowdrop345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome,

Only by testing before a meal and 2 hours after a meal will you be able to work out how many carbs you personally can have. We are all different in how much we can cope with. We are all at different stages of this journey, on different medications, and have different amounts of natural insulin that works properly. You can go as low as you wish. Personally I eat up to 60g a day.
when u say 60 g of carbs a day how do u workk that out? By looking at total carbs in each item or per 100g? TIA

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
when u say 60 g of carbs a day how do u workk that out? By looking at total carbs in each item or per 100g? TIA

I have the book Carbs & Cals (excellent) and I use MFP, plus food labels. Initially I weighed all my food and calculated how many carbs, calories, protein, fat in that meal. I still weigh some things, but not everything.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carb values that are relevant to you are the number in your choice of portion size. So if you eat half a 100 gram weight bar of chocolate which had a total of 20 grams of carbs in the whole bar, you'll consume 20/2 =10g carbs, or if you eat a quarter of it, you've had 20/4 = 5 grams.

Robbity

snowdrop345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The carb values that are relevant to you are the number in your choice of portion size. So if you eat half a 100 gram weight bar of chocolate which had a total of 20 grams of carbs in the whole bar, you'll consume 20/2 =10g carbs, or if you eat a quarter of it, you've had 20/4 = 5 grams.

Robbity
Thank you. Thats really helpful!

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here's something for you if you like cauliflower / broccoli cheese which I was told about on here. Boil some cauliflower and or Broccoli until soft.
Place in a dish. Mix a tub of full fat Philly and a good handful of cheese in a pan and warm through until runny, add a little milk to thin if necessary. Pour over the C /Broccoli and place in oven until cheese sauce starts to brown.......................delish............and yes I did say FULL FAT PHILLY. Now wash this down with a nice cup of coffee made with double cream. Believe it or not.:)

Hi Adrian, Just tried your recipe really nice thank you, wont make a cheese sauce any other way again..so easy, goodbye to roux. Hope your well and not too effected by the bad weather.:happy:

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are looking for low carb recipes then this link to a low carb diet site is good. Some of the photos of the foods don't look that appetising but then this isn't a commercial site. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Hi Shezy,

I've been looking at this link amazing selection, Ive been trying to find something like this for ages. Im not a vegetarian but they have some good things there too. thanks again:happy: