Itching Skin

ihodge1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 7 weeks ago. Prior to and since diagnosis I have dreadfully itchy skin which is impossible to ignore. My legs, stomach, backside, back, arms and neck are covered in sores from my scratching - and still I scratch. Blood sugar levels are still high and have just started medication. Does anyone know of anything that will relieve this itching?

Chanah

You might want to get your PTH and serum calcium levels checked. I went hyperpara just before I was diagnosed with diabetes and the itching drove me nuts. It mayn't be that at all, but hyperpara at least is curable if it is.

Other than that, try not to scratch and probably the best thing is unrefined shea butter - it helps a lot with moisturising, and it sounds like you need it.

If it started after you started taking medicine, there's also a possibility you're having an allergic reaction to it, and that's worth checking, too.

lilibet

Hi agree with chana

Side effects of meds, high bg might be to blame.
Get then to take blood count, liver problems can cause itchy skin too

Might just be eczema but dont put up with it, get referred to a Dermo - or see you doc at least

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ihodge1 said:
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 7 weeks ago. Prior to and since diagnosis I have dreadfully itchy skin which is impossible to ignore. My legs, stomach, backside, back, arms and neck are covered in sores from my scratching - and still I scratch. Blood sugar levels are still high and have just started medication. Does anyone know of anything that will relieve this itching?

Hi ihodge1.
Welcome. Have a good look around and ask as many questions as you like.

Your symptoms may, as the previous posters stated, be caused by medication ? Stress can also be a factor ?
What medications are you actually taking ?

Thirsty

ihodge1, I've had a similar problem and found that Eurax (crotamiton) lotion worked really well to relieve the itching. It's available over the counter from pharmacies.

Hope this helps.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was also going to suggest Eurax lotion, but was beaten to it.
I have dry skin and it's fantastic. the cream isn't as good.