LCHF and exercise

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been low carbing for a little while now. I've just secured a place in the London Marathon and wondered if I should increase my carbs after my long runs? Low carbing with varying degrees of success, unfortunately stress levels at work are high and I've had to increase my basal to 120% when at work.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't they have pasta parties before the event. My nurse once said that road diggers and marathon runners can eat what they like.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Typically in relation to exercise, you are attempting to make sure your glycogen stores are at capacity prior to engaging in the exercise. The reality is that this will require you to increase your carb loading.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had long distance runners on here who have followed very low carbing throughout training and the race itself. In deep ketosis.

@borofergie is one of them.
He hasn't posted for a while, but his posts were always very informative.
You might have a scroll through them...

There is certainly a huge difference to training and pre-race prep when low carbing. But one benefit seems to be that there's no need to carb load, and The Wall doesn't hit.

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I recall that member, SouthportGP, who low carbs in support of his patients, has reported much improved running speeds since he reduced his carbs. Not sure if he is doing marathons or sprints.
Sally

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's very dependent on what you are doing. Explosive, bursty exercise is problematic with limited glycogen.

Chris P Bacon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best endurance athletes in the world are experimenting with LCHF there's loads on the net about it

I ran London LCHF

Carb loading is lunacy imho and I've studied the subject at length, the owner of my running club does ultra marathons on a low carb diet and he isn't diabetic, he does it because it's effective

I'm type2 and know nothing of insulin

Reactions: 3 people

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Guys, really don't want to go back to eating lots of carbs. Having such a bad week, stress means I've been on 140% basal, trying to run and then going hypo! And to top it off my libre sensor is not terribly accurate, ready to throw the towel in this week :(

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've had long distance runners on here who have followed very low carbing throughout training and the race itself. In deep ketosis.

@borofergie is one of them.
He hasn't posted for a while, but his posts were always very informative.
You might have a scroll through them...

There is certainly a huge difference to training and pre-race prep when low carbing. But one benefit seems to be that there's no need to carb load, and The Wall doesn't hit.

Thanks Brunneria, I'll have a look!