Diagnosed with type 2 this morning..

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't speak for anyone else, by my glucose monitor is the only way I know what I can and can't eat at the moment.
I use mine before eating and then 2 hrs after, as people here recommended.
As I work I only test first thing in the morning and then for my evening meal.

And Louch1, I think you'll find that you will get any prescribed medication free, regardless of what it is for, because of diabetes.
the surgery gave me a form to complete and hand back to them. Within a few days I had a free prescription card with "medically exempt" scribed on the front of it! Eye tests are also free ... but you probably know that!

Bee Gee

Reactions: 7 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a "by the way", Monday12, but I'm fine with chips!
We're all so different ... fish and chips - fine. 3 crackers to go with my cheese ... a rather huge NO!
Bee Gee

Reactions: 4 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just beginning to understand that the advice here is for strict carb management, in conjunction with careful monitoring. This isn't at all a match for the advice on the NHS site which focuses on a balanced diet, including "healthy" carbs. Mmmm. I'm intrigued to find out what my GP's clinic tells me when I get an appointment...

M12

Reactions: 8 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
If you want a true reading ....use a meter to record your bs levels then adjust your diet so you do not get high bs readings, lchf regime is the way to lower bs levels, good luck and keep posting :))

Reactions: 6 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
M12, I was only diagnosed in September.
I was certainly not told about the importance to monitor carbs.
Despite my very high levels on diagnosis (below) I was simply told to "avoid any thing with sugar in it; you know, cakes, biscuits, desserts for the first few weeks until your levels go down"
Yes, the advice here is good - very good - but it can be a bit overwhelming and I have certainly queried several things people have said - not because I'm being awkward, but because I need to know things for myself and satisfy myself that the suggestions made are good and right for me.
However, I have only found people here to be supportive, helpful, kind and very, very patient!
I do tend to ask the same question a couple of times in different ways - just to be sure I understand!
Bee Gee

Reactions: 12 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a "by the way", Monday12, but I'm fine with chips!
We're all so different ... fish and chips - fine. 3 crackers to go with my cheese ... a rather huge NO!
Bee Gee
check yourself at 3 and 4 hr after a feed of chips, fat slows digestion and peaks later

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly jack is correct in this. I get it with pasta and pizza as well.
smiley-sad029.gif

Reactions: 2 people

louch1

I tried to get an exception certificate but as I said earlier because I am not on any medication. I cannot get exception form/card. It always makes me laugh how gp/ practices have there own rules . :-(

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Yes you really should monitor your blood glucose. You're doctor could say otherwise but ask the surgery for one and get a prescription exemption from from Them. You do not pay for ANY meds. If you can't get a bg monitor from them ,many here use the codefree from homehelth uk.com. I believe there is a discount code people here use but I don't know it. Don't forget Lancets
Prescription Tax Exemption Certificate Form...most important, this will cover all your medication(s), even non-diabetic ones. Every penny counts.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks again for all the advice, and for the link to the diet advice for beginners - interesting stuff. Looks like the pie and chips meals are out!
I long for my bovril and pie Monday12 lol, pastry is full of naughty sugar....aww

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
M12, I was only diagnosed in September.
I was certainly not told about the importance to monitor carbs.
Despite my very high levels on diagnosis (below) I was simply told to "avoid any thing with sugar in it; you know, cakes, biscuits, desserts for the first few weeks until your levels go down"
Yes, the advice here is good - very good - but it can be a bit overwhelming and I have certainly queried several things people have said - not because I'm being awkward, but because I need to know things for myself and satisfy myself that the suggestions made are good and right for me.
However, I have only found people here to be supportive, helpful, kind and very, very patient!
I do tend to ask the same question a couple of times in different ways - just to be sure I understand!
Bee Gee
Bee Gee in the 5 years since diagnosis no one in the NHS mentioned eating less carbs, all I got was that carbs had to be included in a balanced plate, no wonder by BGs were high for a long time.

Reactions: 8 people

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having to take so many medications, having little energy.
My best friend living so far away in scotland.
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
Hi everyone, i just wanted to tell u my story.
Last year when I was 45 I started to experience a terrible thirst that i just couldnt quench and getting up in the nite to pee, falling asleep standing up and just being exhausted. Anyway I do suffer some other major health issues and take lots of meds including morphine so i just put these symptoms down to the hot weather. So we went on holday and when we got home i said to my husband that i should mention it to the doctor the next time i went.
The doctor made me have a blood test and said it could possibly be type 2 diabetes and to come back next week for the results. A week later he said that my bgl was 20 so he thought it was that, he told me to cut out all sugar and see the practice diabetes nurse. Whoever when i went to book this i was told i would have a month to wait as they were short of one nurse and the one they had was on holiday.
So away i went and cut out anything with sugar and changed to sweetners in my cuppas. After three weeks i still felt awful so while in tescos i asked to have a blood glucose test at the pharmacy. The lady did the test and said hang on ill just go and get someone to look at this. It turns out i was at 39.1 and they were suprised i wasnt in hospital, which is where i was sent next because my gps was closed. I was put on a drip and given a shot of insulin and told that i was deffinatley type one and with those numbers they were surprised i wasnt in a coma. I saw the special diabetes nurse at the hospital for the next five weeks five times a week untill i was able to get my levels and insulin right. One year on and my three monthly test are 6.5 and everyone is ova the moon how well ive done.
I see this happening so often with other people and im not at all surprised people are dying and being misdiagnosed, we should never have to wait weeks to see a nurse if they even slightly think we could be a diabetic, either type, i needed dietry help if i was type two and monitoring not just told to go away and come back in a month!
Sorry rant ova and ive made it through my first year as a type one diabetic... Yay!!!!!

Reactions: 10 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good to hear that Ani010 !

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, i just wanted to tell u my story.
Last year when I was 45 I started to experience a terrible thirst that i just couldnt quench and getting up in the nite to pee, falling asleep standing up and just being exhausted. Anyway I do suffer some other major health issues and take lots of meds including morphine so i just put these symptoms down to the hot weather. So we went on holday and when we got home i said to my husband that i should mention it to the doctor the next time i went.
The doctor made me have a blood test and said it could possibly be type 2 diabetes and to come back next week for the results. A week later he said that my bgl was 20 so he thought it was that, he told me to cut out all sugar and see the practice diabetes nurse. Whoever when i went to book this i was told i would have a month to wait as they were short of one nurse and the one they had was on holiday.
So away i went and cut out anything with sugar and changed to sweetners in my cuppas. After three weeks i still felt awful so while in tescos i asked to have a blood glucose test at the pharmacy. The lady did the test and said hang on ill just go and get someone to look at this. It turns out i was at 39.1 and they were suprised i wasnt in hospital, which is where i was sent next because my gps was closed. I was put on a drip and given a shot of insulin and told that i was deffinatley type one and with those numbers they were surprised i wasnt in a coma. I saw the special diabetes nurse at the hospital for the next five weeks five times a week untill i was able to get my levels and insulin right. One year on and my three monthly test are 6.5 and everyone is ova the moon how well ive done.
I see this happening so often with other people and im not at all surprised people are dying and being misdiagnosed, we should never have to wait weeks to see a nurse if they even slightly think we could be a diabetic, either type, i needed dietry help if i was type two and monitoring not just told to go away and come back in a month!
Sorry rant ova and ive made it through my first year as a type one diabetic... Yay!!!!!
Excellent story and thanks for telling it. I agree the waiting list at GP's is ridiculous and for those poor people out there that are genuinely very sick it's appalling. I've had to wait 4 weeks for a doctor to see me (and that's tomorrow) after coming out of hospital having had a heart attack on 14th Nov and then being diagnosed diabetic type 2. All I got was a BS monitor, some tablets and a kick up the ****, basically "now get on with it". I was told completely the wrong things to eat so bought a load of that when I got home only to find out I'm not supposed to eat that stuff.
Slowly but surely having taken some really good advice from members on here, my sugar levels are down to an acceptable level within the 5.5 - 7.5 range. Quite a difference from the 27 in hospital.
Anyway Ani010, welcome.

Reactions: 6 people

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
I long for my bovril and pie Monday12 lol, pastry is full of naughty sugar....aww
Thanks everyone - what a friendly helpful forum. I'm in Scotland and so don't pay for prescriptions anyway (it's a disgrace that there are different rulse in different parts of the UK, IMO.)

I've ordered a Codefree monitor from Amazon - see, I'm following the great advice here already! It wasn't too expensive - think what I'm going to save not buying stuff from Greggs anyway!

Another quick question - what's the situation with alcohol? A complete no-no? If it's OK in moderation, is wine better than beer?

Thanks again

M12

Hun u shouldnt have had to buy any equipment. The first day that i saw my diabetes nurse I was given a monitor, test strips, results book and a huge stack of reading information.
I would ask at ur surgery if they can help with these. I was lucky after a few months that I saw an add on this forum to see if i would qualify for a new monitor for free, and I was. This new one is more modern and holds more data. Its worth asking hun, u might find it worth jotting down anything that u read on this site that u want to ask next time u go to ur doctors. As far as the booze goes i dont drink anyway but u can but be aware to chck ur sugar level alot because in some people it can go up but in others it goes down. I was told anything in moderation, but remember to test often .
Good luck, and try not to panic, u can do this :-D i did it and i have the sweetest tooth ever lol.

Ani xx

Last edited by a moderator:

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Excellent story and thanks for telling it. I agree the waiting list at GP's is ridiculous and for those poor people out there that are genuinely very sick it's appalling. I've had to wait 4 weeks for a doctor to see me (and that's tomorrow) after coming out of hospital having had a heart attack on 14th Nov and then being diagnosed diabetic type 2. All I got was a BS monitor, some tablets and a kick up the ****, basically "now get on with it". I was told completely the wrong things to eat so bought a load of that when I got home only to find out I'm not supposed to eat that stuff.
Slowly but surely having taken some really good advice from members on here, my sugar levels are down to an acceptable level within the 5.5 - 7.5 range. Quite a difference from the 27 in hospital.
Anyway Ani010, welcome.

Anytime hun, like i said its almost exactly a year for me and im still learning, if u have any questions feel free to ask, or even if its just to have a ***** about the nhs lmao I cant believe how surgerys varey so much, im too scared to swap tho in case they loose my notes or the new place wont take me on because of the thousands of pounds worth of meds i take each year, im a big chunk out of their budgets lol . Xx

Reactions: 5 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anytime hun, like i said its almost exactly a year for me and im still learning, if u have any questions feel free to ask, or even if its just to have a ***** about the nhs lmao I cant believe how surgerys varey so much, im too scared to swap tho in case they loose my notes or the new place wont take me on because of the thousands of pounds worth of meds i take each year, im a big chunk out of their budgets lol . Xx
Don't worry about being a big chunk of their budget. They'll just take on another 1000 patients that have to pay for prescriptions and make up for it that way. Only thing though, that raises the waiting times again.:mad:

Reactions: 2 people