Anyone else experiencing their big toes standing up to attention

Adele99

My right toe has been like this for ages. Sometimes when I've been sleeping it wakens me because it sticking up at a right angle facing me, which the joint shouldn't allow. Pretty sore when it happens and gets me out of bed in a such hurry I end up tangled up in the duvet.

Now my left toes is doing the same, but it's slightly bent so worse as it's also sitting at an angle , and making it very painful to wear any sort of closed toe shoes.Particularly the ones given to me by the Orthotics dept as they're a very firm leather. The foot moulds were done last year, so didn't allow for this and it took 8 months for them to be made and adjusted, by the time you wait in between appointments.

Not sure if it's nerve damage or shortening of tendons, have these Duputyres contact urges in several fingers, so thought it might be same thing except in the feet.

Does anyone else have this, and if so, can you tell me is it possible to train the toes back into a normal position in some way? Maybe splints or something. Or some sort of specific exercises I can do daily? With winter coming don't fancy only being able to wear slippers or open toe shoes.

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, mine haven't quite done to the extent that yours have, but I have noticed that when I am high, I get god awful foot cramps, the last couple of night, the cramp has made my toe 'stand up' and I have to physically push it down until the cramp stops

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My chiropractor told me that one of her friends had this problem for years. She treated him for a slight misalignment and saw the toes just go back to their proper position before her eyes. I'm not saying this is the problem with yours though......

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My chiropractor told me that one of her friends had this problem for years. She treated him for a slight misalignment and saw the toes just go back to their proper position before her eyes. I'm not saying this is the problem with yours though......
Chiropractors claim many things. Anyone been told their pelvis was squint?

Adele99

Not been online for a while. The Vascular surgeon told me why this happening. He said that the problem is due to diabetic nerve damaging tendons and muscle control in the legs and feet. So some nerves aren't working which causes a mismatch of the tendons pulling in the right direction at the right time, The result is toes like mine.

The problem it gives me is that the tips of my toes are now very vulnerable to corns and hard skin forming, as they're touching the shoes , even my specially made to measure shoes. Coupled with my restricted circulation which is very poor, now high risk for more ulcers. But have to say the Podiatry team who visit every couple of weeks are brilliant in looking after them. I hope everyone with foot problems has as a good a service as I have .

Reactions: 2 people