Difficulty drawing blood.

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm having a real problem getting blood from my fingers for the strips.
Even with the needle on its deepest setting I can only draw the tiniest bit, not enough for the test.
Any tips?
I have tough skin because I do manual work.
I've tride warming my fingers up to hot water / hand warmer / under clothes.
Thanks.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be using the sides of your fingers rather than the tips or pads

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually squeeze my finger pad and massage it a bit, Let all the blood flow back to your finger then prick the side... Works for me. :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad I'm not the only one who has problems getting blood especially in the mornings. I tried 3 times the other day and gave up because I was running out of fingers to prick!!!!

cockercas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad I'm not the only one who has problems getting blood especially in the mornings. I tried 3 times the other day and gave up because I was running out of fingers to prick!!!!

I know the feeling. 25mins yesterday morning pricked every finger on both sides then the same before bed.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
remember playing windmills with your arms as a kid ? the centrifugal force will get blood down to your finger tips and then prick it
I haven't done it but worth trying.

washing you hands and fore arms in hot water, I've heard about ..

when you got old and on blood thinners ..you'll be fine :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you have difficulty drawing blood from your fingers then ask your DSN or Consultant about AST (Alternative Site Testing), this should only be done once you have discussed matters with your HCP's.

sally_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have one of them presure ones? Its like a clear head for the pen... I use that when I have difficulty on the skin of my palm the bit under my thumb

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I had trouble at first and I had to stab myself with the bare spike to draw any blood at all. I might as well have used a pin. As you may guess I have poor circulation in my hands. However I now wave my arms around and/or turn the hot tap on and while my left hand can be tricky my right is a willing donor. I have to use the Codefree lancet at No 5 though.