Type 1 diabetic, moving to usa or canada?

pinkabell_87

im a type 1 diabetic, me and my partner have been talking alot about moving abroad either to USA or canada. But i don't know anything of how i would cope with my diabetes over there etc. any help?
beki

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Pinkabell and welcome to the forum.In the US they measure blood glucose by MG/DL so you would need to get a new blood tester over there.Here it is mmol/L so to convert you multiply by 18 to get the MG/D equivalent.I'm not sure about Canada whether they use the same here or not.

This site may help .

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001

Chanah

Canada is the same as the UK. And the health insurance is considerably better than what you'll find in the US. E.g., I have friends in America who are healthy, and they're paying $3000 per month as a couple for health insurance with all kinds of deductibles and non-covered items.

It may not be an issue for you, but....

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Beki
I recommend you look at David Mendosa's website. He's in Colorado and knows everything.

Trinkwasser

Agreed, the US can be *horrendously* expensive, plus since you now have a diagnosis you will find it very hard to obtain insurance. besides Canadians are often nicer <runs away>

Carol11

Yes we are much, much nicer here in Ontario. We are on the same system you are, and from what I can tell much of the same meds. Same old BS though from the medical establisment. One good thing though not nearly the same horrendous proble ms as the NHS I do ewad the English papers! You'll have to look carefully into health coverage though Carol