all inclusive depressed

sadtraveller

Hi all, my name is Mike and until 2 months ago i was t2 now after a heart attack i have been diagnosed t1.My attack happened 6hrs before i was to fly to Egypt on holiday,yes i am pleased that i am still here to tell you this but there is a downside.
Before the Egypt holiday i had already booked and payed for 2 weeks all inclusive in Mexico this Sept for mywife and my self at a cost of £2500 as we love our AI holidays, so can you imagine what i feel like know knowing i can not go there and eat and drink as i like because of this terrible condition we have.
My dosage of insulin is novomix30 46 units morning and the same at night and yes i am new to all this but my question to you all is this , should i cancel the holiday now or is there ways to go and still enjoy a AI holiday.
Any answears and help would be gratefull as at the moment i feel like (well rubbish)just thinking about it all,regards to you all a new t1 MIKE

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,
sorry youve joined the type 1 club, there is no reason that u cant still go and have a good holiday,is there anything specific that is worrying you?

sadtraveller

Hi Totsy, i think it,s the issue for me on how much to eat and drink and how to control the blood readings with it all .
Like at the moment on the dosage i am on , i am really good diet wise and have kept alcohol to a min and my readingsare between 6-8 but what happens if i go on the holiday and want to eat and drink as much i want as i have payed for it.
That,s not saying that i am greedy but i have payed alot of money to go dieting,mind you i never get drunk even on holiday.What will happen to my sugar levels and is there ways round it,regards MIKE

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Well, first of all us Type 1 diabetics are the far superior kind to the flotsam and jetsam of those Type 2's over there.... Ho, ho, ho. So congratulations on achieving this heightened state...

I've travelled everywhere with Type 1 diabetes; China, Nepal, Thailand, Australia and Mexico too and as long as you are sensible it is fine.

I'm sure that there is lots of good advice here on the details of travelling as a Type 1.

You need something to keep your insulin cool whilst travelling and you need to make sure you have access to a fridge when you get there.

As a low carb person eating is easy, and drinking is more wine and spirits based (without evil sugary mixers), if you are on a prescribed diet then follow that and I'm sure you'll be able to manage; I'm no expert at all on what you should be doing after a heart attack so I'd listen to what your doctors say, but there's no reason why you can't have a good time.

Dillinger

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Mike,

I don't think you should cancel the holiday - for 2 reasons.

Firstly your insurance is unlikely to pay out on the basis that your cancellation is because you think you might not enjoy yourself.

Secondly you have diabetes, not a death sentence!! Millions of diabetics go on holiday and have exactly the same enjoyable experience as non-diabetics. You are probably thinking along the lines that I must restrict what I eat (as in type 2) and so can't enjoy myself. You are very new to being a type 1 but between now and September you will have learned how to use your insulin to control the blood sugar resulting from what you eat, rather than having to control what you eat. That may mean taking higher insulin doses while you are away, then returning to normal when you get back.

I'm sure you will get plenty of tips from our experienced and well travelled type 1s.

malky

Do not cancel your holiday thats just madness. I am type one, have been for 5 years and since then i have only gone on all inclusive holidays and my opinion is it suits me more i can eat when i need to and want to and dont have to worry about having to buy the food as, if i had to pay for all the food i ate now it would not be a cheap holiday. Also as said being type one you will learn that basically you can eat whatever you want you just need to adjust you insulin correctly so that you control your levels so i would talk to your diabetes care team about learning to carb counting and adjusting your insuilin to suit, and by this i do not mean going on a low carb diet just learning how much insulin to take. Over all now i am much more inclined to go all inclusive holiday as i feel it makes my life as a diabetic alot easier and in no way has being diabetic ruining the eat as much as you like factor, well not for me it hasnt. And anyway mexico is a beautiful country and you dont want to miss that

sadtraveller

Thanks to all for the replies, i think it is a case that i am new to t1 and it,s a learning curve,it looks like i will go after all your positive response to me and i am just being a little silly i suppose.
One question for Malky, what about the alcohol situation , as i do not know much about this ie, should the intake of beer drop to more wine etc as one poster has stated.
Anyway once again thanks to you all and as newbee i will meet you all on here again regards MIKE

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
sadtraveller said:
should the intake of beer drop to more wine etc as one poster has stated.
If you've ever tasted Mexican beer then you will know why most visitors stick to wine or mineral water!

malky

sadtraveller said:
One question for Malky, what about the alcohol situation , as i do not know much about this ie, should the intake of beer drop to more wine
I dont want to recommend anything as all people are different, with me the only thing i have changed with my alcohol drinking is using diet mixers and making sure i eat a good meal before i start drinking and having a snack of some sort either while drinking or on my way home as this is what i was advised buy my care team and dietician and it has worked for me with no side effects for the past 5 years

lilibet

Hi
I was diagnosed last year, not ventured on holiday yet. I find mixed insulin a pain in the **** but you should have a notion of profile by the time you go on holiday (ie when you are most likely to hypo, when you should snack etc).

You have a couple of choices for hols - ask to move to basal bolus, gives you more flexibility for food or if put your insulin up a bit for duration of the hols, I would speak to a nurse/doc before you do this to be on the safe side if you are not confident about it

Buy a frio bag http://www.friouk.com
Its an insulin storage system for such an occasion

Also,maybe accept (within reason) that bg might run a bit higher than youd like for the duration, I personally feel quite horrible if my bg gets into double figures at any time so I couldnt do that and enjoy a holiday but if you are ok with it, then just relax and go with it. Your body will soon tell you how its reacting to what you are doing!

As for alcohol - spirits and diet mixers, red wine appear to be the best for good bg mangement (well you know what I mean :wink: ) but as per advice, it does lower the bg though if you are planning on hitting the All inclusive then Im sure food intake to alcohol ratio wont be a prob
Just be mindful of times you would normally test, and stick to it

Enjoy!

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mike,
When my daughters were first diagnosed Type 1's they were put on Novomix, like you. However, they were also prescribed fast acting Novorapid to use to treat spikes in the blood glucose that the Novomix couldn't cope with. I would suggest you ask for some Novorapid and get instructions on a correction dose ratio from your diabetes team. Alternatively, as someone else has already suggested, ask to be switched to a basal/bolus regime which gives far more flexibility.
Have a great holiday, I am very jealous!
Best wishes
Sue

fran

I have been all over the world and have eaten in "All inclusive" hotels for a lot of them. I too am type ! It really is the easy option for a diabetic as there is always something that will suit your dietry needs. You can see how much carbs youre getting and can choose to add more or less to your intake. As long as you're confident in controlling your levels then you should be fine. Please don't think of cancelling your holiday. Go and enjoy yourself and make the most of it.......

Dennis said:
Hi Mike,

I don't think you should cancel the holiday - for 2 reasons.

Firstly your insurance is unlikely to pay out on the basis that your cancellation is because you think you might not enjoy yourself.

Secondly you have diabetes, not a death sentence!! Millions of diabetics go on holiday and have exactly the same enjoyable experience as non-diabetics. You are probably thinking along the lines that I must restrict what I eat (as in type 2) and so can't enjoy myself. You are very new to being a type 1 but between now and September you will have learned how to use your insulin to control the blood sugar resulting from what you eat, rather than having to control what you eat. That may mean taking higher insulin doses while you are away, then returning to normal when you get back.

I'm sure you will get plenty of tips from our experienced and well travelled type 1s.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mike
I'm a "Mere" type 2, but married to a type 1. We have travelled all over the place and skiied and done other things. I'm active, he's a "sitter". WE make sure the insulin supplies are safe I don't use it, and that we have sufficient testing gear too. I'm careful with what I eat and he can bolus extra insulin. the only problem we've had was in Spain, where T1 tripped over an unmarked step, which was invisible to him( he has poor sight and we learned the Spanish for 2 black eyes (Ochos Panda) He also didn't bring enough insulin once and we had to find a prescription and buy some. That worked out perfectly smoothly too. I can see there being difficulties in Outer Mongolia or the middle of the Kalahari, but most of the world is not a problem. Mexico is next door neighbout to the USA after all.
Just go have fun!