Please help :(

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm under an immense amount of stress right now and it's sending my sugars crazy. My bloods shot up from 10 to 25 in an hour as I'm panicking so much about all my uni deadlines and I've been sick from the constant feeling of stress and anxiety. How can I try control this and keep my bloods normal? I just want to cry :(

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1) try and calm down, stress will increase adrenaline and cortisol levels which is why your NG is elevated
2) at those levels, check for ketones
3) correct the current high, if you know your correction ratiom you may want to increase that a bit with your levels being so high, which can cause insulin resistance
4) while you are stressed, you may want to up your basal dose, try starting at 10% or so once you've got your levels down, see how that goes

See if that helps, but keep posting on here as well.

Reactions: 4 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
1) try and calm down, stress will increase adrenaline and cortisol levels which is why your NG is elevated
2) at those levels, check for ketones
3) correct the current high, if you know your correction ratiom you may want to increase that a bit with your levels being so high, which can cause insulin resistance
4) while you are stressed, you may want to up your basal dose, try starting at 10% or so once you've got your levels down, see how that goes

See if that helps, but keep posting on here as well.

Thank you. I know what I need to be doing but I just feel like diabetes can kiss my a** right now!!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Miss90

Your health is very important as it affects your coping and thinking mechanisms..

Is there not a doctor or healthcare person at your Uni to help you through this?

I know my friends daughter had great care from her Uni to help her complete her course and keep herself well enough to get a first degree. They could see she was not well, but with diabetes its more difficult for people to help you as there are no visible signs that you are struggling until you suffer dka or a severe hypo.
Have you spoken to anybody at the Uni?

I'm concerned that your levels are fluctuating and this will be impacting on your abilites without you actually realising it.

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Thank you. I know what I need to be doing but I just feel like diabetes can kiss my a** right now!!!!!

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

And every day in between!

As @ElyDave says, try to relax. I appreciate that's not as easy to you at this moment with all the pressure you're under, but stress will send your control out of the stratosphere, which will make studying, revision, etc., that much harder.

Don't turn to alcohol as that won't help, but do try drinking less caffeine (tea, coffee, red bull, etc) and drinking camomile and other non-caffiene, herbal teas as they will help to cleanse your body and mind and keep it clear for your studies.

I also wholeheartedly recommend going to see the pastoral office / lecturers and talk with them about it - type 1 is a disability and you are entitled to get assistance (such as additional time) if your health is affecting your ability to get things done on time.

Try this buddhist mantra (especially when your brain hits the wall) - it helped calm me down during several periods of crisis, perhaps it could help you too?

Breathing in I calm my body,
Breathing out I smile.
Living in this present moment
I know this is a wonderful moment.

I used to look at a photo I'd taken of a fab pacific sunset when I did it; perhaps if you find something to visualise your fondest experiences or desires that will help you to unblock the neuro-log jams and sort your levels.

Best wishes - and luck!

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other thing I would personally recommend is exercise. My job can be quite stressful and I find that exercise is great to just reset the brain

Reactions: 2 people

CathytheChef

I think we've all been there and it sucks! Try to ease up on yourself - none of us are perfect all the time! I struggled through my uni exams in a similar way (so glad that's over!)... You are stressed so don't beat yourself up over the highs - they are not because you're doing anything wrong. Keep testing and correct when needed. Things will settle down when your exams are over :)