Nightmare Before Christmas

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I tend to agree with @AndBreathe on this one. As a T1 I'd just go out and enjoy the meal and take insulin to cover it. I'd kind of expect a T1.5 on Insulin, especially if using Basal/Bolus, to do the same, as it's not an everyday thing. It's not like diet alone controls your blood sugar in this case. It's not a medical necessity as an insulin dependent diabetic that you have a low carb diet.

Maybe I just have a different approach.

Reactions: 2 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
What a great discussion. I would like to add that it is probably just as difficult if not more for a vegetarian eating out. I don't find it that difficult finding something to eat, even if there's just jacket potatos or baguettes on the menu, i am quite happy just eating the filling. However, and this is where my real insecurities lie.....I find it very uncomfortable justifying or explaining my eating choices to others I am with. My partner is totally understanding and very helpful, but others may not be. I dread the moment when someone asks me to explain why I am fishing out some ham and salad from a baguette and wasting all the bread, or passing on sweet things and desserts. I just don't want to get into a debate or feel like I have to justify myself, I truly don't know what to say and I find it very difficult (any advice greatly received). This is probably for me the hardest part of the whole diabetes thing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think it's time restaurants started to cater more for diabetics, if they can manage vegetarians and wheat intolerances surely it can't be that difficult. It may go some way to help the increasing numbers who develop diabetes due to bad diet.

In what way would you like them to cater for us Shelly?

Most restaurants will substitute one item of food for another if you ask them.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I think it's time restaurants started to cater more for diabetics, if they can manage vegetarians and wheat intolerances surely it can't be that difficult. It may go some way to help the increasing numbers who develop diabetes due to bad diet.

The End
Merry Christmas bah humbug -LOL

I went to RHS Rosemoor earlier this year, due to having coeliac I rang the chief asked him what was on the menu as had diabetes and coeliac, He told me what was available and said diabetes is a very individual thing and in that department there was plenty of choice on the menu he also gave me a run down for gluten free as well. His last comment was that if there was anything I wanted that was not on display then please ask. The meal was to die for.
So don't be shy just ask. :)

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe we need to start a new thread for places to eat that cater for our needs or have been very helpful. No posts of terrible places

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are very few people on this forum who will agree that they ate their way to Type2 diabetes. Unless you understand the condition then you really should not make rash statements as they stigmatise people and can be very upsetting. The last thing we want here are divisions between the community. Anyone with diabetes can eat out and if you feel you did not get your money's worth then why did you not have a word with the organisers prior to the event? There are suitable places where foods can be exchanged for something suitable, more veggies/salads less starches. If you feel you need for special catering then speak up before the event. Get the word out there if you feel hard done by. The more you educate the general public then the more things will change.

Perhaps you are cross because it brought it home to you that things have changed and you have to be more careful now of what you choose to eat?

This forum is for helping and supporting people, their carers and relatives regardless of type.

How to combat the stigma of Type 2 Diabetes.
http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20189184_1,00.html

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Well I get the feeling this is a divide and conquer thread and even we diabetics can be lulled into the not my fault/self inflicted argument. I kind of get sad when I see people venting their anger and including other kinds of diabetics in their ill informed arguments. This is exactly what the right wing media just want so they can keep spouting their nonsense. That's my rant and it's over.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was merely a vent - not a question to be answered nor a dig at anyone. Sorry I mistakenly thought we could vent our feelings in this forums so apologies if I've offended anyone in any way. I didn't even expect replies as it was just me getting something off my chest but some people appear to have taken it personally!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not compulsory to eat at a party is it? Saying that though there is plenty of food you can have. AS to eating out for an actual meal, all you have to do is ring in advance and speak to the chief. I have diabetes, coeliac and lactose intolerant, Yet I have no problem at all. Since when have diabetics been stopped from drinking alcohol?

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never said diabetics couldn't drink alcohol - I personally can't as it makes me ill.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
THEN THINK ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SAY AS IT COULD OFFEND AND DEMORALIZE PEOPLE ON THE FORUM SOME ARE VULNERABLE

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never had a problem dining out at a proper restaurant as they are more than happy to accommodate requests for extra veg or salad instead of starchy carbs.

It's the self service type places that are hard.

What kind of drink were you hoping to find. If soft drinks, alcoholic drinks and presumably fruit juices are out it does not really leave a lot of options.

As for deserts could you not have some fresh fruit instead, say strawberries and cream?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I was talking to a guy over the weekend who works in the pharma industry looking into cures for diseases. I said to him pity you have not found a cure for Type 2 diabetes. He said he worked on diabetes cures for 4 years and alas you cannot put a gym membership in a pill. I'm now starting to see that because I am a type 2 I'm looked upon as being like something unworthy and it was my own fault for being fat. Even though my Gran had type 1 and two uncles and aunts on both parents side have type 2. First time I've actually felt ashamed to by a type 2 since diagnosis.
@Mike D is right. He is an idiot. Kick his butt to the curb and hold that head up. My family's full of diabetics on my mums side. Insensitive prat! You should have asked him why 80% of obese people aren't diabetic. I'm not saying there isn't a link but it's clear that there is more than obesity to type 2 diabetes. Hugsx

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think I have come up with the answer! Just like we have gluten free choices or vegetarian choices marked with a v or g, we should have carbohydrate free options marked with a c. this would be to cater for those of us who are essentially carbohydrate intolerant. Problem solved! I'm sure we'll get to that point sometime soon......

Reactions: 5 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I have come up with the answer! Just like we have gluten free choices or vegetarian choices marked with a v or g, we should have carbohydrate free options marked with a c. this would be to cater for those of us who are essentially carbohydrate intolerant. Problem solved! I'm sure we'll get to that point sometime soon......
I have been hunting the shops for the products with the GL logo, but be damed if I can see anything, maybe it's not reached the uk as yet.
Has anyone seen this logo on foods, it indicates it's low load on the system apparently .

Attachments

• 1419280330015.jpg
    1419280330015.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 189

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was merely a vent - not a question to be answered nor a dig at anyone. Sorry I mistakenly thought we could vent our feelings in this forums so apologies if I've offended anyone in any way. I didn't even expect replies as it was just me getting something off my chest but some people appear to have taken it personally!!!!
Hi Shelly, like everything, there are always one or two people who get offended by things, others will always give you their thoughts and opinions. Personally I don't think you have anything to apologise for. Your rant actually made me laugh in nice way as I have been there also. My boss who is Spanish tells me it's our stiff British outlook that stops us getting the things we want changed, changed. So next time you go out for a meal like that - make sure you give the organiser your dietary requirements....tell them you have to low carb and the restaurant should be only too happy to help you.

Reactions: 7 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I never said diabetics couldn't drink alcohol - I personally can't as it makes me ill.
Join the club, so looking on the bright side you haven't missed anything and you can be safe in the knowledge that it wont be you making a fool of yourself with over indulgence. ;)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Depends on what you suffer from and how it affects you. I have had chunks taken out of my bowel, had septicemia twice, been in ICU (for a month in a coma) and not been too chipper at all in the last 5 years. My diabetes has bothered me though, even though it doesn't preclude you from any diet there has been times when it has been difficult. The constant injections and monitoring are not much fun either.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Sorry all but I need to vent my anger !

While the news is full of figures informing us in the rise of the number of people developing type 2 diabetes and the number of obese people being offered gastric band surgery on the NHS, what about those people who have developed diabetes through no fault of their own who are struggling to maintain their current body weight due to the amount of goods that they must avoid.. Christmas parties and meals out often leave me feeling hungry as there is no "diabetic or low carb option" offered yet if I chose to be vegetarian that would be ok as almost every menu will have at least one vegetarian option. So whilst there may not be a vast choice at least a choice is given.

However I did not "choose" to be diabetic yet my choice when going out for a Christmas meal this weekend was no bread with soup, no potatoes with turkey dinner and no dessert unless I chose to eat sugar. As the price was for 3 courses its a little unfair not to fully cater for diabetics. I ended up having a spoonful of Christmas pudding as I felt I deserved a small treat but it was so delicious it took all my willpower not to pass it over for my partner to finish off. To make matters worse my choice of drink to accompany it was water or diet coke as there was nothing else available which contained no sugar or alcohol.

The End
Merry Christmas bah humbug -LOL

I havent read anyones reply so I am replying to yours.

There is to much money to be had with diabetes and the drug industry. IF restaurants started offering diabetic friendly meals across the country, then "junk food" would start to be less seductive etc. hence less lucrative income with the drug industry... all this I have learned is why doctors are "acting" so ill informed about diabetes and carbs. I cant wai t to show my nurse my findings with my glucometer xx

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been hunting the shops for the products with the GL logo, but be damed if I can see anything, maybe it's not reached the uk as yet.
Has anyone seen this logo on foods, it indicates it's low load on the system apparently .
I have seen it but it's usually just on bread products, which I tend to avoid anyway. I don't find the GL rating that helpful and tend to opt for low carb or test to see what effects me personally. But low GL foods can be useful