Mother of Newly Diagnosed Child

AnneK

Hi, My name is Anne i'm 34 married with 3 children. My husband is in the army and we are currently based in Germany. A week ago my son went into anaphalatic shock and was taken to the German Hospital. It was whilst treating him for that that they did blood tests and his blood sugar levels were over 600. They immediatly treated him with insulin and transfered him to another hospital where he is currently so they could confirm diabetes and treat accordingly. They are very thorough and everyday we see a speciaist nurse who talks us through the condition bit by bit. It is believed he will be in hospital until he understand the condition, we understand the condition and that we are all able to cope with everything at home.

I know i should be grateful that they picked up on this but as he never showed any signs of illness before i'm really struggling to get my head around it all. It was pure luck that it was discovered so early before showing any sypmtoms but it makes it so much harder.

Reece is 9, it's been a lot for him to take in and he's worried that his friends will take the mickey out of him when he goes back to school. It's so new to us that i'm like a rabbit caught in headlights.

His blood sugars seem to be pretty good at the mo, a few high readings but generally they read between 60 and 160.

It was my husband who suggested i join a forum for support as he can see me struggling so here i am.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Re: Mother of Newly Diagnoised Child

Hello Anne, and welcome to the forum.

We have a number of parents of type 1s who are also members of this forum, including a couple who are also stationed in Germany. We're a friendly bunch and more than willing to stick our noses in when asked. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regards, Tubs.

C

catherinecherub

Re: Mother of Newly Diagnoised Child

Hi Anne.
It is quiet on the forum today.
There are lots of parents who post. Might be worth reading through the Diabetes Youth Club as parents post on there as well as younger members. You can always send a private message to one of them.
I am sure someone will answer your post soon.
Regards,
Catherine.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Anne,
I have 2 daughters with Type 1, now aged 14yrs & 7yrs, they were 8yrs and 2 yrs respectively when diagnosed. It is very hard at first, such a worry and a very steep learning curve for you all. It does get better with time and you all adjust. Try to take things one day at a time. It sounds like you have a lot of support from the diabetes nurse which is great, not everyone gets that!

As for school, we have found that by and large the other kids accept it. Occasionally we have had problems, but not often and the schools have made sure the children understand why extra snacks sometimes need to be eaten etc.

If you have any questions, ask away and one of us will try and help you. Or feel free to PM me if you would rather.
Best wishes,
Sue

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hello Anne and welcome!
there are lots of parents here, who can and will help you to cope and a few youngsters who can give your son,support too.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya anne,
welcome to the forum :D

Justyb

Hi There

My name is Justine and my daughter Meila (aged 7) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 weeks ago. It has all been a bit of a shock as she wasn't displaying any overt symtoms, well apart from increased thirst - but she has always drunk alot of water, fruit juice etc. I had to take her to the emergency out of hours GP on Easter Tuesday, where we were referred to the Belfast childrens A & E straight away. Her BS were through the roof (41) and she was really dehydrated - we were really lucky to get her in on time as she was boarderline DKA. It has been the most frightening experience of my life and I still feel as if I am in a daze (crying alot as well!). I am a lone parent so life was quite challenging even before diagnosis - I do have really supportive friends and family. However when the door is closed and everyone has gone home I feel quite overwhelmed - I'm not really after advice, just maybe to hear from someone that this passes! The upside is that Meila has been brilliant and she is even doing her own blood sugar tests - but still a wee bit weary of the injections.

She started back to school on Monday and since then her BS have been really erratic - 2.5 going to 10 etc. She has pretty much had a hypo every day for the last 6 days. The diabetic nurses have assured me that this will take time to balance out because she will be more active etc. The school have been great in terms of testing her, but I would just like to ask others does it take long to settle down (how long is a piece of string??!).

Thanks

Justine

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Justine.

Sorry to hear of you and your daughters troubles.

You asked how long will it take to settle down ? You also answered yourself as well ! String ???
It will settle down, just needs time as they say. Everything is new to you and to Meila.
Kid's are suprisingly durable and adaptable.
Don't despair. If you just want people to chat with and lighten the load, there are loads of good people here. There are several Mom's and Dad's with very similar circumstances as well. I am sure they will be in touch soon.

If you have any questions we are here to help.

Ken.