Just changed to Lantus and NovoRapid - Question

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just today changed to Lantus and Novorapid.
The DSN said to use difervent injection sites. Happy with tummy for novorapid but where to stick Lantus ?
I'm not small, got a bit of weight on me but not really on my legs where she suggested injeciting. There's more fat on the inside of my thigh but is that a no go area?
Also, can you inject through clothes? Or do I need drop trousers everytime?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe doesn't sound the nicest but I always injected my Lantus in my Bum.

Supposedly has the slowest absorption rate.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I use NovoRapid in legs, outer tummy area, and arms. Night time Levemir in buttocks, been doing this for 25 years and I haven't found any difficulties so far and I'm small build. Good luck

RRB :)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I use NovoRapid in legs, outer tummy area, and arms. Night time Levemir in buttocks, been doing this for 25 years and I haven't found any difficulties so far and I'm small build. Good luck

RRB :)

Edited, it's best not to inject through clothes, as it can blunt the needle, also the fibres from clothes can come off and germs/bacteria as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The best place to inject Novo is the stomach and arms as it works fastest in these two sites, lantus is best injected in the legs and bum as it is more slowly absorbed in these areas.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks guys.it's not the most pleasant mental image but ill give it a go. Don't want to risk hitting muscle!

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Well ive injected into my a$$. Bit of a dull ache, feels quite strange! The lantus that is

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Tried in my thigh but made a right mess so sticking with the bum.
I've noticed though I loose a bit of insulin when I inject after removing needle. Also it gets hard to push the plunger down for the full dose? It's getting harder the more my dose is increased.

Also, I get this weird warm tingling feeling all over but mainly in my arms and hands. Kind of like a nicotine rush. Lasts about ten minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tried in my thigh but made a right mess so sticking with the bum.
I've noticed though I loose a bit of insulin when I inject after removing needle. Also it gets hard to push the plunger down for the full dose? It's getting harder the more my dose is increased.

Also, I get this weird warm tingling feeling all over but mainly in my arms and hands. Kind of like a nicotine rush. Lasts about ten minutes...

Not had the warm tingling feeling in the hands and arms before but I do get what they call Referred Pain, this is where you get some pain but not at the site where you are injecting..............crazy I know :rolleyes:

Anyway, as to regards to the loss of insulin when removing the needle, make sure you leave the needle in the skin long enough, try counting to 12 slowly and then remove the needle, this should be enough time to allow the insulin to absorb, if it doesn't work then leave it in the skin longer, when you push on the plunger make sure you do so slowly, if the pen is getting hard to push down on then just change it as it may be faulty.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Not had the warm tingling feeling in the hands and arms before but I do get what they call Referred Pain, this is where you get some pain but not at the site where you are injecting..............crazy I know :rolleyes:

Anyway, as to regards to the loss of insulin when removing the needle, make sure you leave the needle in the skin long enough, try counting to 12 slowly and then remove the needle, this should be enough time to allow the insulin to absorb, if it doesn't work then leave it in the skin longer, when you push on the plunger make sure you do so slowly, if the pen is getting hard to push down on then just change it as it may be faulty.

Thanks noblehead. I'll try injecting it slower. I have been counting to 10 so will try leaving it in for longer and see if it helps!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead. I'll try injecting it slower. I have been counting to 10 so will try leaving it in for longer and see if it helps!

It should work, however if you find that your still leaking insulin then ask to use longer needles, I would imagine you use the 4mm at the moment so a change to 6mm needles might make some difference.