hi all

harryd

hi, my name is harry 53 and think i have diabetes. seem to tick all the boxes. i went to the doc's on Friday night and she said there was some sugar in my urine, so she took a blood test and said my sugar was 14. have been told to fast on sunday night and to cut out all sweet things and to go to the doc's first thing on monday morning. don't look good and am very lost at how to cope with this.
why it's 1 or 2 diabetes i don't know and am very confused about what to eat.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hi there and welcome to the forum harry.

The nice thing about diabetes is there isn't a one-size fits all diet for us, each of us has a unique reaction to different types of food. So having made life easy for you :) there are a number of us following a low(ish) carbohydrate diet - more on carbohydrates can be found here, and more on the low carb diet can be found here, and there are those of us who are managing our diet following a low GI diet - I try and describe a low GI diet here.

Stick around, we're a friendly bunch and try to be as helpful as possible.

Regards, Tubs.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Harry,

Looks like you might be joining up on Monday from the sound of it. You''ll be shaken up at first, but don't lose heart. There are many on the forum who have found much better health after their diagnosis than before. That might sound a bit glib, but believe me it's true.
You'll certainly need to learn fast about how to eat a diet which gets your blood sugars back to normal. Again, this doesn't have to mean a joyless, abstemious diet. Quite the reverse in fact.

Open a bottle of wine, then open the Success Stories thread. You might be pleasantly surprised.

All the best,

fergus

thumbless1

Dislikes
The NHS which is overworked and behind the times.
I was in a similar position around 3 weeks ago when i had a blood pressure test and wanted a cholestrol test as well.

I got a fasting blood sample and got called in for the results.

Found to be type 2 did not beleive it in denial and asked for a second opinion.

My blood glucose was 18 put on metformin 1000mg first week and then 2000mg the next.

Blood glucose in the morning when i wake up is around 6, 7

Got told to lay off sugar got a retinal scan in May,

Got a Meter strips and lancets.

Best advice is from other diabetics on forums like this.

You will have to have exercise watch food intake and probably do everything opposite that the doctor tells you LOL.

Normal blood glucose is between 4 and 7 so i have read.

I am learning and coming to terms with it but it is a lot to take in.

All the best in the results.

Davey.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Davey, you've learnt more in your first 3 weeks than I did in my first 3 years!!

All the best,

fergus

Vikingepigen

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the forum.

Alice here and I was diagnosed with T2 just a few days ago, so know that sinking, confused - desperate feeling all too well!! But then I found this place and I am beginning to calm down and getting my head around it all. Everyone here are so very friendly and helpful and no question is silly ...... so do ask away. Also there is so much great information here and for me is beginning to give me knowledge, which in turn is power to cope and adjust.

I too have had a good read in the Low Carb forum and decided to give it a go - just two days in and still finding my feet, but hopeful!

Best
Alice

harryd

thanks for all the replies, so grateful. i see the sense in the low carb diet to keep your sugar down, but it helps you lose weight. i am 53 male about 5ft 4ins and 11st 5 ozs i am happy with my weight so were do i go from here, am very confused.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Harry,
You may find that you only have to lower your intake of starchy carbohydrates somewhat and up your intake of veggies and keep away from any form of sugars. I do not have a weight problem now and following the low G.I. diet and it works for me. The only way you are going to be able to experiment is to test, test and test again as without a meter you will never know what is and is not working. There are people who follow a low carb diet and they also do not have a weight problem. They increase their intake of fat. I am sure someone in that category will answer your post.
Harry you have to find what works for you, so keep reading around the forum and any questions, please come back and ask.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya harry and welcome to the forum :D