An embarrasing side effect .....

twhincup

of taking metformin and gliclazide seems to be flatulence :cry: It started off quite funny, but now its very irritating and embarrasing. I take my tablet just before, with or just after food but to no avail.
Any tips on dealing with this?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the windy club!!This is a well known side effect of Metformin,sometimes it goes away...sometimes it doesn't! :D

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Don't know if it'll help you but ask your GP about slow release Metformin. I think I read somewhere that it has helped some people.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's a well known effect of Metformin. Most people adapt to it. Gliclazide can have a subtle side effect of causing weight gain.

Trinkwasser

Try avoiding carbs at the same time as the met. The effect should wear off as you become used to it (takes a few weeks to build up to a working plasma level) or as suggested the slow release version may be a plan.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi twhincup,

Now you know why metformin is often referred to as metfartin!

If the effects don't reduce in a few weeks then ask your GP to switch you to the slow-release version as this is much milder on the digestion.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,
I had this problem also, but on one of the threads here I took advice to take my Metformin in the middle of my meal, and it has worked wonderfully well.

Bernie

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Charcoal biscuits or charcoal capsules/tablets help.

You can get them in Superdrug, Holland and Barrett and Boots.

Not 100% sure but you can probably get them on prescription.

I was fed up with having to drive with the car windows open in the middle of winter so tried the charcoal capsules and now only pass the sort of wind that you're proud to put your name to.