How much Fat LcHf T2

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone, just a quick question on LcHf diet.
I've seen some advice saying 70/80% of the diet should be Fat, and recipes for Fat Bombs and Butter&coconut oil Coffee.
Is this high day content Recommended for a T2 like myself with a lot of weight to loose? Many thanks in advance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you cut the carbs you will lose weight .... but

with a lot of weight to lose you need to find the right balance of calories from fat. If you are on low carb you need to make up some of the calorie deficit, but not all of it. Fat bombs and bullet proof coffee are probably not your best choices, and certainly not on a regular basis.

What I did was simply ditch all and every low fat product I was previously eating, and switched to real butter, real full fat yogurt, real mayonnaise. I didn't swamp everything in fat. I just didn't actively avoid it. I didn't have any cheese or cream at all during my weight loss period, but I did (and still do) have fry ups 3 or 4 times a week, an average of 2 eggs a day, I cooked in rapeseed oil (not a lover of olive oil), and also cooked things like mushrooms in butter. I also eat a lot of oily fish. (tinned salmon in my case).

Once I lost my weight I started eating cheese, overdosing on it in fact, plus cream occasionally. I kept on losing little bits here and there and it took me 2 months to stabilise. The cheese did it. I still do not swamp everything in fat. If I did, the weight would go back on again.

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The high fat level is to make sure that the energy from the much reduced carbohydrates is replaced by a new source ie fats. These fats contribute very little to your blood glucose and also smooth out the BG peaks after meals. [ I lost 40 Kg using this method of eating and its still off ]
This LCHF way of eating is great for T2 diabetics..

.Warning: you still need to keep an eye on your total calorie intake.

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 I agree with all the above, and I now eat much as @Bluetit1802 does. The idea that fat can replace carbs as an energy source takes a bit of getting used to but for me it's true. I walked for 3 hours yesterday and had to slow down a bit for Mrs DeeJay. She had peanut butter & jam sandwiches and I had Babybell cheeses, tomatoes, dark choc and nuts. But then she's a kayaker so I wouldn't try arm wrestling with her. Oh, I don't know though ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's difficult to overdo the fat if you just listen to your body and stop eating when you feel full enough. Fats satiate you much more effectively than carbs.

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's difficult to overdo the fat if you just listen to your body and stop eating when you feel full enough. Fats satiate you much more effectively than carbs.

"stop eating when you feel full enough"...........................there can for some of us at least be a problem with this, because that feeling of fullness can arrive 30- 60 minutes after the meal. Happens with me for breakfast and lunch so that I plan ahead, eat only certain amounts of food and then leave the table. Only later do I feel satisfied.
In the winter I will have cold hands/fingers even after eating and then as time passes I feel them become warm.

My single biggest surprise with the LCHF way of eating was learning just how much my portion sizes had been far to large in the past.

Reactions: 5 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just dumped the carbs .. Down to 30g a day and ditched all the low fat foods for full fat .. No cal counting only the carbs .. Lost 5 stone since January and feeling good ... Also I am a vegetarian !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, just reduce the carbs and make up with fat and protein to the extent that you feel full. 70/80% sounds too high to me as there should be some protein as well as fat and some carb. Think Low-Carb and not LCHF as such.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone, just a quick question on LcHf diet.
I've seen some advice saying 70/80% of the diet should be Fat, and recipes for Fat Bombs and Butter&coconut oil Coffee.
Is this high day content Recommended for a T2 like myself with a lot of weight to loose? Many thanks in advance
The % refers to energy, not weight. 5E% carbs 15E% protein and 80E% fat is not uncommon on LCHF but you do exactly as you please.

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Exactly what just happened!! Cheese scrambled egg and butter with pumpkin seeds on top, only ate half and I'm done!!
Haven't weighed myself since diagnosis (13th November) but my clothes are beginning to hang off me ;)

Reactions: 10 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @clairemcg! , yes I also do the same as @Daibell. I usually just do a lower carb diet, trying to cut back on starchy carbs and focusing more on green leafy veg then the rest of the meal from fat or carbs. :) For fat, I eat a lot of oily fish as well and use olive oil too. I eat flax bread (I bake it at home) with almond butter if I'm craving for bread :) then I also try to not skip meals, because when I do, my blood sugar tends to become more erratic. Regular meals with snacks in between seems to do the trick :) Good luck with the diet and hopefully you'll also get to have good results from it ! :)

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ditched the carbs and just ate moderate to low fat - I love fatty meat but never been keen on full fat dairy or butter so I just stuck to semi skimmed or skimmed milk and low fat dairy products ( checking carbs) - I do love cheese so I get my fat fix from that most days, but even then not huge quantities as I'm trying to lose weight. Lost be take 5 st since May and can't say I ever feel really hungry.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh to be able to lose weight along with the best of you!
sigh ....:(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a lot of excess weight, that I'd prefer not to have, but unlike most people around here, I want to lose it slowly, not fast.

Once you are over 40 skin doesn't shrink as well as it used to. Giving it time to adjust as the flesh inside reduces will IMO result in less sagging. Plus I have always failed at diets. Start off with the best intentions, full of pip and vigour, will power and fanaticism. Some time later... cold, tired, hungry, wobbly blood glucose levels have always tilted me over the edge, and head first into carbs. And yet another failure. And rebound weight gain while inhaling carbs.

So now I eat LCHF as a lifestyle. Weight loss is happening steadily, and delightfully slowly (allowing for minimal sagging), I'm never Hungry, blood glucose is spot on (unless I do something silly), and it's an ongoing lifestyle not a diet.

Lots of people turn up on the forum desperate to loose weight (which I understand), but some go too hardcore, struggle, fail and then abandon LC without realising that they aren't doing it properly.

LC is not hard work.
It isn't suffering, and sacrifice, and being hungry.
And I don't think it should be calorie counting either (my personal opinion)

It should be eating good, delicious, fresh food, to your appetite.
Reduce the carbs til you don't crave them.
Add enough fat that you don't feel hungry.
Eat normal amounts of protein.
Drink plenty of water.
Add salt to food, or drink salted broth (not enough salt is the main reason people feel bad on LC)
Enjoy.

No need to make it hard work. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really like you folk!
Cold Ethyl, I have started a thread in Diabetes Discussions, as you suggested!
Brunneria, I have always really appreciated your posts since day 1.
You are right about the lifestyle changes and choices... AND about the saggy skin!
Like you, I have often "dieted" with various degrees of success. I have lost just over 2 stone over the last 6 months - mainly pre diagnosis.
My next goal is just 9lbs away, then a further 2 stone and then yet another 2 stones!!!
I'm working on a stone and 9lbs by Easter then hopefully a few new clothes for the Summer!
Thanks all,
Take care,

Bee Gee

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The % refers to energy, not weight. 5E% carbs 15E% protein and 80E% fat is not uncommon on LCHF but you do exactly as you please.

That's exactly my ratio. I've lost one and a half stone since the beginning of last month. :)