Type 1 Changes in Taste Perception

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

My 16 year old son has hardly eaten anything all Christmas because he says everything tastes like chemicals?! He will nibble at dinner, then push it away saying it doesn't taste right and he then loses his appetite.

He was diagnosed Type 1 in June of this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had this?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. insulin doesn't normally do this but Metformin can and often does. Is he also on Metformin?

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Smitten73,

Could be an upper respiratory infection, middle ear or dental problems.

What causes taste disorders?
Some people are born with taste disorders, but most develop them after an injury or illness. Among the causes of taste problems are:

• Upper respiratory and middle ear infections
  • Radiation therapy for cancers of the head and neck
  • Exposure to certain chemicals, such as insecticides and some medications, including some common antibiotics and antihistamines
  • Head injury
  • Some surgeries to the ear, nose, and throat (such as middle ear surgery) or extraction of the third molar (wisdom tooth)
  • Poor oral hygiene and dental problems.\
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/smelltaste/pages/taste.aspx#4

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm recently diagnosed also on the same meds and noticed this myself for a few weeks, it has settled down now.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, good luck!

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Smitten73,

Could be an upper respiratory infection, middle ear or dental problems.

What causes taste disorders?
Some people are born with taste disorders, but most develop them after an injury or illness. Among the causes of taste problems are:

• Upper respiratory and middle ear infections
  • Radiation therapy for cancers of the head and neck
  • Exposure to certain chemicals, such as insecticides and some medications, including some common antibiotics and antihistamines
  • Head injury
  • Some surgeries to the ear, nose, and throat (such as middle ear surgery) or extraction of the third molar (wisdom tooth)
  • Poor oral hygiene and dental problems.\
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/smelltaste/pages/taste.aspx#4

Thanks @catherinecherub , I looked at that info before I initially came on here and read that it could be possible it was linked to diabetes, but it said type 2 mostly. He doesn't seem to have any of the other causes, that's why I'm puzzled.

Thanks again. It's such a shame, he couldn't even eat his favourite foods over Christmas.