Experimenting with food

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Oh ok thanks I'll try it, how do you make quiche and I was avoiding mushroom as they are from underground.
Dave, the edible parts of mushrooms are above ground - and only contain 3 g of carbs per 100 g, so they are perfectly safe for a diabetic - so if you like them, just eat to.your heart's content :)

The 'underground thing' is about e.g. potatoes, carrots, beets and onions which are very high in carbs (and here it is the 'underground' part which is for consumption).

annelise

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no way I could eat 30g of carbs in a single meal (I don't have much more than that a day) - it would send my BS skyrocketing!

I always have a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge to eat if I'm a bit short of time in a morning as they're quick and easy to grab and eat

If I have time, I have an omlette or a bacon and scrambled egg burrito using a low carb wrap (from amazon here) which I make as follows:

Dry fry a bacon rasher until it's cooked, remove it from the pan and then add a bit of butter and an egg scrambled up as if I'm making scrambled egg. Cook the egg until it starts to solidify, add the bacon back in and cook for another couple of minutes. Warm the tortilla in microwave, add the filling and roll up for a delicious and healthy breakfast with about 4g of carbs and less than 250 calories :)

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I don't cook much, well truth told I don't cook at all, I can put stuff together i.e. Sunday dinner, a salad and stuff like that.
You'll learn soon enough. It's handy to know how to.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dave, a quick tip for a really quick grab and go breakfast, Alpen light bars only have 11g of carbs per bar (at least the ones I have checked have). They may not seem a lot but eaten in small bites they manage for me on those days I haven't time to get a proper breakfast.