how to explain diabetes to young kids??

cjsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of chocolate! ERM...Hugh Jackman STILL hasn't declared his love for me :-( oh and the awkward conversation with people when you go to bed and there not used to staying at yours as to why you have a biscuit barrel and lucazade next to your alarm ... That's a fun one!
Hi,
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong section to ask (just joined tonight) but I have no diabetic friends so want to ask you guys. Do I hide the diabetes from my 6yr old and 3yr old or be honest? They no mummy "gets poorly" they have seen me exhausted and hospitalised .... But what is the right age to explain this is WHY mummy is poorly and please avoid sweets, coke and rubbish as mummy is terrified you will get it?
Look forward to some insights here

P.s happy new year ( under 24hrs to go)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi,
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong section to ask (just joined tonight) but I have no diabetic friends so want to ask you guys. Do I hide the diabetes from my 6yr old and 3yr old or be honest? They no mummy "gets poorly" they have seen me exhausted and hospitalised .... But what is the right age to explain this is WHY mummy is poorly and please avoid sweets, coke and rubbish as mummy is terrified you will get it?

I reckon that is a personal decision for you to make. Only you'd know how they'll react to that message. You can see the positives and the negatives and so can I. Doesn't mean my vote counts for anything.

Deep down with children that young, I'd hold back but PLEASE do not take that as advice. Good luck and HNY :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

There will be children's books explains diabetes, for different ages, available. Although I've never looked for one myself.

I think the most important think when explaining about diabetes to anyone of any age, is to handle it without drama. Children are amazingly accepting of things, and just slot them into their worldview like they are just adding another brick to a wall. If everyone just quietly and casually acts like diabetes is normal, and those are Mummy's special medicine sweets/biscuits (maybe buy distinctive 'medicine' brands of hypo treatment sweets).

I've no personal experience of this - type 2, no kids - but I babysat for years for a woman who had leukaemia. Her tactic with the kids was brilliant. She just handled everything (hospital visits, drugs, nurse visits, hair loss, nausea, bathroom trips, illness, everything) as if it was utterly normal, and maybe a teensy bit special. And she made sure that the kids never had a second's worry that school, meals, tv, toys, etc. would carry on as normal, even if mummy was on a different routine. The kids had reassuring stability. It was a very impressive achievement, and really paid off.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi,

No way should you hide your diabetes from your children, they need to know what to do in the event of an emergency, children are very understanding and they will resent it when they are much older if you hide things like this from them.

As for sweets and things, this isn't the cause of type 1 diabetes, type 1 is an autoimmune condition and as yet there's no known cause, but keeping sweet treats as a special treat is sensible but you shouldn't exclude them altogether.

I told my children about my type 1 from a very early age, both my wife and I work full-time so it was sensible that they were aware of my diabetes in case I had a hypo which I couldn't treat myself, thankfully that never happened but they would have known what to do had I needed help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently explained to my 8 yr old grandaughter why I was injecting when she saw it. I explained that I musn't have too much sugar as it makes me ill and the injection is to help manage it. She asked whether the injection was painful and I said it wasn't. She now understands to a reasonable extent what diabetes is and not to fear insulin should it ever be needed. Children are amazingly receptive to sensible non-dramatic explantions.

Reactions: 2 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I told my grands in simple terms that I have diabetes. No drama there - and they were very interested when they saw me testing (blood! does it hurt? etc). They easily caught on to the fact that there are certain foods that I should stay away from. They will sometimes say 'Sorry gran that you cannot have this' when I have served lovely cake or given them the occasional sweet.

Personally, I would never ask my grands to share my diabetic diet, but mind you, both their parents and I try to limit candy to a once a week indulgence.

As said above, T1 is an autoimmune disease and whatever you do, it will eventually manifest itself if they are genetically disposed (don't know which type you are?).

And (if a T2) if you instill good eating habits in early childhood, it may carry over into their later life. However (only my personal take), if you are way too strict about their diet, they might at some time rebel (action - reaction).

So - were I you - I would just mention your diabetes in a casual non-dramatic way such not to worry them unduly, and tell them that there are some foods you cannot have. Children will take things in their stride and usually have great empathy.

Best, annelise

@Daibell, we seem to have posted simultaneously - and with the same take on this :)

cjsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of chocolate! ERM...Hugh Jackman STILL hasn't declared his love for me :-( oh and the awkward conversation with people when you go to bed and there not used to staying at yours as to why you have a biscuit barrel and lucazade next to your alarm ... That's a fun one!
Thanks for being so helpful, all of you. I think I will go to the library with my 6yr old and see if they have anything to help explain it. If I can do it with him, at least I have practice for my littlier one. I'm type 1 by the way (auto ammune) although type 2 runs in my family so just very wary of it. Sounds bad but I want my kids to have a "normal" childhood....unlike mine where I was terrified of doing anything for fear of highs or hypos :-(

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Like your courage ... a LOT ..... good luck :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi,

Why would anyone develop type 1 diabetes from eating sweets?
I think you need to educate yourself then explain to your children about diabetes. Having diabetes is nothing to be ashamed of so no need to hide it, and with care and attention there is no reason to feel tired all the time or end up in hospital. It's not just you that has diabetes it involves all of the family. Hiding it from your kids will make them worry as to what you are hiding from them and small children's imagination has a tendency to run riot.

As a 4 year old child my injections were explained as magic medicine to keep me feeling well as a little bit of my body had stopped working.